Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Home opener vs. Fordham ESPN+ 9/9/23 6pm

promotherobot

Lance was a very experienced HC, Mo was never even a coordinator.  Mo is learning on the job, Lance brought a system and a group of coaches that were experienced with his system.

The Mo hire was a much higher risk hire.  Great recruiter, great communicator, but no real experience.  Also, not really having a system, as he was at 9 schools in 13 years as a DB coach.

BTW, which school did he get the 5 DB scheme, with only 2 LB's?  

Edited by Sportsfan

17 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Another courageous slog to 6-6.

Probably not this year. Last year, we took advantage of a cake soft schedule and a rescheduled game against Akron to even make it to 6-6. I don't see that happening this year. I think at this point, this year we are looking straight down the barrel of an 0-4 start that I just don't see us being able to recover from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sportsfan said:

BTW, which school did he get the 5 DB scheme, with only 2 LB's?  

I'm not sure if this is a literal question or a bit of a sarcastic one, but if it's a literal question, base nickel is pretty common now in college and pro ball.  The Bills run base nickel, for example.

56 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Could be worse.  We could be Michigan State fans.  Not exactly what they needed after the Dr. Nasser fiasco.

Makes you think that whatever is going on there may be deeper than anticipated. Similar to Northwestern now that the flood gates have opened on hazing, they have found it rampant across sports there.

Bottom 10

3. Buffalo Bulls Not Bills (0-2)

An opening loss to Wisconsin on the road, that's not bad. But a loss at home to FCS Fordham in which the Rams quarterback throws five touchdown passes, that's very bad. Fordham had already lost this season to the Albany Great Danes, who lost to Marshall and Hawai'i and were picked 11th in the 15-team Colonial Athletic Association's preseason poll. Heads up, Arkansas State, Stony Brook was picked 14th.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38386626/college-football-bottom-10-week-2-alabama

Not a great look to already be at #3.  

I thought these days were over.  Alas, they are not.

UB looked competitive in their game against Wisconsin and jumped out to a 21-3 lead against Fordham, but then let this FCS team go up and down the field on them (obviously already thinking they had won).  Like last year.   This is (almost) all on coaching and is an indictment of the HC.  After all, this was the year we were taking the next step.  Experienced QB, some experienced line players, potential draft picks among the starters, etc.   The team was picked third in the MAC East and one MAC coach had them winning the MACC.   Losing to Fordham (when you are 23.5 point favorites) has many negative repercussions, not the least of which are the recruits that came to the game (expecting, I assume, to see a strong performance).

A few days after the game, this is the coach's comments:

“Although we lost, there’s a ton of areas that we’re playing at a high level, but we’ve got to continue to raise the level of play, all across the board."

Basically, the coach is blaming execution and knowing what you are supposed to do.

The fumble on the punt...Cook put it on himself. 

At any rate, I would think it is unlikely that all of these things "get fixed" in one week, especially with a few injuries and Grant out for the first half.

My guess is that Liberty underestimates UB a bit and, like against Coastal last year, UB is in the game for a good chunk...but eventually succombs to Liberty's offense (and makes secondary mistakes, bad penalties and/or bad decisions).  I hope I am wrong and UB dominates.

I forgot that Liberty's coach makes about 6x as much in compensation as the UB coach.

8 hours ago, UB92 said:

My guess is that Liberty underestimates UB a bit and, like against Coastal last year, UB is in the game for a good chunk...

I forgot that Liberty's coach makes about 6x as much in compensation as the UB coach.

Liberty’s HC was at Coastal Carolina 2017-22, so he has some familiarity with UB and I’m guessing he remembers that game and will make the necessary adjustments with his new team.