Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2024 NIT Changes

A regular season conference champion that loses its tournament  will no longer get an automatic bid.  They will take the top two NET ranked teams from the Power 5 plus the Big East for the first 12 teams in the NIT, regardless of records.  They all will at least one game in the NIT.  They will then pick 20 more teams to fill the field.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2023-10-27/nit-board-announces-changes-nit-and-use-experimental-rules

The rules involve using the NBA/FIBA width for the lane and a different time out structure.

• 4 months later...

Bringing this topic back around. With the change that regular season champs no longer getting the auto bid to the NIT if they fail to win their conference tournament, I’m sure they thought they could build a field of all high major schools. But schools such as Indiana and Ole Miss have already said no bc they are focusing efforts on recruiting. Lol. Bring back the auto bid for league champs.

23 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Bringing this topic back around. With the change that regular season champs no longer getting the auto bid to the NIT if they fail to win their conference tournament, I’m sure they thought they could build a field of all high major schools. But schools such as Indiana and Ole Miss have already said no bc they are focusing efforts on recruiting. Lol. Bring back the auto bid for league champs.

Besides bringing back the auto bid for regular season champs, I would propose inviting the schools with the best win % vs D-1 opponents of those left out of the Big Dance, regardless of conference or maybe even NET/Kenpom ranking.  Instead of taking power 5 schools with barely .500 records, give more mid-majors a shot for postseason play since the days of 2 bids for conferences like the MAC are all but over. 

6 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Besides bringing back the auto bid for regular season champs, I would propose inviting the schools with the best win % vs D-1 opponents of those left out of the Big Dance, regardless of conference or maybe even NET/Kenpom ranking.  Instead of taking power 5 schools with barely .500 records, give more mid-majors a shot for postseason play since the days of 2 bids for conferences like the MAC are all but over. 

Those schools are more likely to play. NIT means nothing to the P5 even if they win it.

On 3/16/2024 at 6:08 AM, UBinMD said:

Those schools are more likely to play. NIT means nothing to the P5 even if they win it.

So maybe all these P5 power conferences will finally form their own conference with just the big boys and their millions of dollars. So if it really means nothing none of them should play or be invited if they think that is beneath them. With the transfer portal and NIL in total chaos who knows what the college landscape will look like in the next few year. I heard that the football transfer portal just opened today and after the first few hours there were close to 300 already in the portal. Just crazy and I think all this money that these kids will be making I wonder if they know that will be all taxable income!!! Crazy that a college education seems to be an afterthought. I wonder if many of these colleges will cut back on scholarships since these kids can be on their own when it comes to getting NIL dollars.

2 minutes ago, John said:

So maybe all these P5 power conferences will finally form their own conference with just the big boys and their millions of dollars. So if it really means nothing none of them should play or be invited if they think that is beneath them. With the transfer portal and NIL in total chaos who knows what the college landscape will look like in the next few year. I heard that the football transfer portal just opened today and after the first few hours there were close to 300 already in the portal. Just crazy and I think all this money that these kids will be making I wonder if they know that will be all taxable income!!! Crazy that a college education seems to be an afterthought. I wonder if many of these colleges will cut back on scholarships since these kids can be on their own when it comes to getting NIL dollars.

I know things have changed a lot since the mid 90's but I am shocked you can just transfer and all your credits just go along for the ride and these kids graduate! Maybe it's the majors they are in that is exactly the same everywhere, but it is a bit shocking.

Also, keep in mind, those 300 are added to close to 1,000 that are in the portal from before that have not found homes. Basically this 300 is for guys that didn't like how offseason strength and conditioning I guess since spring practice hasn't even started!