Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MBB vs Western Kentucky

Blue03

2 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Sometimes I wonder if GH3 misread the level of the Mac, thinking it was less athletic/competitive/able than it actually is.  Sometimes a person just needs time to adjust to new surroundings.

Is that it? Time to adjust to new surroundings? Are you watching the same game or the season? Everything needs remarkable improvement. The optimism on this board by some is just not justified at this time.

11 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

"We're too small to compete against their defense, so let's just shoot prayers" seems to be the strategy this season

Going about as well as you'd expect

A lot of their shots are prayers from deep but they also miss an insane amount of wide open looks 

Wku stopped even bothering to close out on shots, it's laughable 

25 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Maybe I’m just sour on Halcovage but I’d love if he spent less time whining to the refs in games that we’re down 20

"An MBA cannot fail, an MBA can only be failed. It's the system that must be wrong, not me."

eldest-boy-kendall-roy.gif

Last 10 years of NCAA Championship winning coaches by degree earned:

Dan Hurley - Physical Education

Bill Self - Athletic Administration

Scott Drew - Liberal Arts

Tony Bennett - Humanities

Jay Wright - Sociology

Roy Williams - Physical Education

Mike Krzyzewski - B.S. U.S. Military

Kevin Ollie - Communications

It looks as though this might be a long year. Nothing that a few tweaks can’t correct: A 6’9” power forward who can rebound, shoot the rock, and defend. A 6’ 4” guard who can create his own shot and take it to the rim. A 6’ 11” 260 lb center with great court awareness, a deft touch from inside 10 feet, and a shot blocker, who intimidates down low. That’s not much to ask. 

• Like 2

Based on how they've been competing in some recent games, I really hoped they'd take a step forward today.  The basic problem is: they lack size, so they need to be able to shoot from outside.  But they're terrible at shooting from outside.  So they get burned defensively, dig a deep hole, then keep trying and claw back a little second half by playing scrappy.  They took 32 shots in the first half, 16 of them from three - and made one of those.  Thus you're down 20.  They're trying, they play hard to the end...they're just not very good.  They can't match up well under the net.  Some of them might be good someday.  That's about the nicest way I can sum this up right now.

Chatman - had a lot of points and yet I keep thinking he's not playing as well as he can.  
Fulcher - is it just me, or does it seem like they're a lot better defensively when he's not on the court?  I suppose I have to watch him more out there.
Sabol - he's trying.  I think he's going to be good someday (hopefully here).  But he's learning a lot of things the hard way right now.
Boldin - probably his best game so far?  Plays hard, goes to the hoop hard, willing to play with confidence.  Like Sabol, a guy who I think might be good someday.
McVeigh - I really liked most of his game today.  He couldn't hit a shot, but he battled hard for rebounds.  That combination of things reminded me of Dave Barnett today.  I don't expect him to be a lights-out shooter yet but I wish a couple of them went.  But he was willing to take them and play hard.
Smith - man, take it to the net! I fear that he's as good as he's going to be, and this is it.

WKU - I don't know, nothing stuck out.  They did the same things/took advantage of the same things that most teams have so far against UB.  

Crowd - shout out to the band, cheerleaders, and a couple True Blue people who were there and are trying.  Some guy in an Aaron Judge jersey and his meathead friends sat a section over from us, somehow he was a Hilltoppers fan today and started the game off by flipping off everyone between him and the UB bench.  From there, tried to taunt everyone after WKU baskets...until he eventually realized that it was all old alums, parents with kids, or just generally UB fans watching a bad team who weren't going to waste time getting into it with some guy who is talking trash on behalf of a team he just bet money online on this afternoon.  Dude if I didn't get in an argument with any low-class Bona fans last week, I'm not wasting a second on you.

Please please please beat Niagara.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, squire17 said:

It looks as though this might be a long year. Nothing that a few tweaks can’t correct: A 6’9” power forward who can rebound, shoot the rock, and defend. A 6’ 4” guard who can create his own shot and take it to the rim. A 6’ 11” 260 lb center with great court awareness, a deft touch from inside 10 feet, and a shot blocker, who intimidates down low. That’s not much to ask. 

That's all I want for Christmas.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

Based on how they've been competing in some recent games, I really hoped they'd take a step forward today.  The basic problem is: they lack size, so they need to be able to shoot from outside.  But they're terrible at shooting from outside.  So they get burned defensively, dig a deep hole, then keep trying and claw back a little second half by playing scrappy.  They took 32 shots in the first half, 16 of them from three - and made one of those.  Thus you're down 20.  They're trying, they play hard to the end...they're just not very good.  They can't match up well under the net.  Some of them might be good someday.  That's about the nicest way I can sum this up right now.

Chatman - had a lot of points and yet I keep thinking he's not playing as well as he can.  
Fulcher - is it just me, or does it seem like they're a lot better defensively when he's not on the court?  I suppose I have to watch him more out there.
Sabol - he's trying.  I think he's going to be good someday (hopefully here).  But he's learning a lot of things the hard way right now.
Boldin - probably his best game so far?  Plays hard, goes to the hoop hard, willing to play with confidence.  Like Sabol, a guy who I think might be good someday.
McVeigh - I really liked most of his game today.  He couldn't hit a shot, but he battled hard for rebounds.  That combination of things reminded me of Dave Barnett today.  I don't expect him to be a lights-out shooter yet but I wish a couple of them went.  But he was willing to take them and play hard.
Smith - man, take it to the net! I fear that he's as good as he's going to be, and this is it.

WKU - I don't know, nothing stuck out.  They did the same things/took advantage of the same things that most teams have so far against UB.  

Crowd - shout out to the band, cheerleaders, and a couple True Blue people who were there and are trying.  Some guy in an Aaron Judge jersey and his meathead friends sat a section over from us, somehow he was a Hilltoppers fan today and started the game off by flipping off everyone between him and the UB bench.  From there, tried to taunt everyone after WKU baskets...until he eventually realized that it was all old alums, parents with kids, or just generally UB fans watching a bad team who weren't going to waste time getting into it with some guy who is talking trash on behalf of a team he just bet money online on this afternoon.  Dude if I didn't get in an argument with any low-class Bona fans last week, I'm not wasting a second on you.

Please please please beat Niagara.

I love the Dave Barnett comparison. Someone who gives you their absolute best, but not great at anything.....but will absolutely grind.

• Like 1

Nice game for Boldin with 19 pts and 3/5 from 3 while rest of team shot 2/29.  He’s had a good freshman season thus far, and surprisingly 2nd on the team in minutes per game behind only Chatman. His one weakness would seem to be FT where he’s shooting just 61% (11/18) and not getting to the line as much as you’d think considering he seems pretty aggressive around the rim.  A good all-around player, just wonder with his talent and high profile name will GH3 be able to keep him at UB beyond this season with all the losses piling up like this?

• Like 2

Very difficult season when you have 3 Freshman Guards starting for your team (unless you are Duke or Kentucky with future lottery picks).  Fulcher is basically a freshmen, as a D2 JuCo is more equivalent to going to a community college.  Prep Schools are better competition.  

I like his quickness, but competely inexperienced as a D1 player.  Looks more like he is playing street ball, so he needs to slow down his game, work on his shot and learn how to play defense.  All 3 have potential, but sooo inexperienced it is unfortunate they couldn't find a couple guards in the portal last year.  

Edited by Sportsfan

1 hour ago, Sportsfan said:

Very difficult season when you have 3 Freshman Guards starting for your team (unless you are Duke or Kentucky with future lottery picks).  Fulcher is basically a freshmen, as a D2 JuCo is more equivalent to going to a community college.  Prep Schools are better competition.  

I like his quickness, but competely inexperienced as a D1 player.  Looks more like he is playing street ball, so he needs to slow down his game, work on his shot and learn how to play defense.  All 3 have potential, but sooo inexperienced it is unfortunate they couldn't find a couple guards in the portal last year.  

I believe they looked, but missed on a couple of players, also they were linked to a PG from New Hampshire who was an assist guy, but NCAA ruled he had no more eligibility.  Hopefully Halcovage and staff retain who they want and learned from past and do a better job in upcoming portal.