Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2023 Transfers

Sportsfan

20 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Although not having a lead guard like Jones forced Adams to play out of position as a point forward (essentially a lead guard) and likely threw his game into the uneven state we see. Having an actual lead guard, while not worth ten wins, would have slotted everyone including Adams into a more appropriate position, role, and rank in the pecking order.

Exactly, the Adams bashing is super weird. Given the state of disarray on this team his switch from PF to PG has been as good as you could have hoped for.

-His assist to turnover ratio improved from 0.53 to 1.18
-His free throw percentage went up from 66.1% to 70.8%. This isn't super notable but suggests to me that his shot isn't broken and the 3P% regression is a result of decreased quality of opportunity.
-His 2P% at the rim increased from 54.4% to 67.1% despite the assist rate on those looks going down from 41.9% to 23.6%. Not to mention that the team's 3 point shooting has regressed which allows defenses to collapse on drivers.

So he's improved:
-His ability to create for others
-His ball protection
-His free throw shooting
-His ability to create for himself
-His ability to finish

It's weird that people think that a career 34% 3 point shooter steps onto the worst team in UB history and becomes a 22% 3 point shooter and it's a result of his regression rather than a product of the team context

15 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Exactly, the Adams bashing is super weird. Given the state of disarray on this team his switch from PF to PG has been as good as you could have hoped for.

-His free throw percentage went up from 66.1% to 70.8%. This isn't super notable but suggests to me that his shot isn't broken and the 3P% regression is a result of decreased quality of opportunity.
-His 2P% at the rim increased from 54.4% to 67.1% despite the assist rate on those looks going down from 41.9% to 23.6%. Not to mention that the team's 3 point shooting has regressed which allows defenses to collapse on drivers.

So he's improved:
-His ball protection
-His free throw shooting
-His ability to finish

It's weird that people think that a career 34% 3 point shooter steps onto the worst team in UB history and becomes a 22% 3 point shooter and it's a result of his regression rather than a product of the team context

I tend to agree that most of it is team context, his role, and an injury (that we heard nothing about, because of course). But regardless of the reason, he has been underwhelming to bad this year. The assists and heavy usage don't even prop up his overall ORTG.

That said, he'll absolutely be a useful piece next year if he hangs around but from talking to some folks that sounds less likely. It shouldn't be impossible to find a replacement in the portal though. 

9 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

So he's improved:
-His ball protection
-His free throw shooting
-His ability to finish

I guess I have unreasonable expectations that a guy in his 4th year of college might want to be a veteran leader on a team and take some pride in that. I realize he may have been out of position at times, but I would not have said he was the primary PG in any game. Sabol, Fulcher, Sy and Adams all had times bringing the ball up. One reason his shooting percentage dreadful were to poor shot selection, the rest was just poor shooting in general that should have been better assuming they practiced shooting. His FT shooting has improved but it would have been hard to have been worse. 

I am not laying it all at his feet by any stretch, but he, Sy and Joe should have been the veteran guys looking to lead, they fell short of that and regressed into 1 on 3 basketball for much of the early season. 

15 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I realize he may have been out of position at times, but I would not have said he was the primary PG in any game.

He was absolutely the primary ball handler leading up to his injury. His injury forced Sabol and Fulcher to gain more experience and they have since taken some of that load off of him

15 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Sabol, Fulcher, Sy and Adams all had times bringing the ball up.

This is an antiquated way of defining the point guard. At least when they aren't being pressed it's more about who you want as the ball handler in the first ball screen of whatever action you're running.

16 hours ago, UBinMD said:

One reason his shooting percentage dreadful were to poor shot selection, the rest was just poor shooting in general that should have been better assuming they practiced shooting.

His per possession 3PAs are up 6%. Almost all of his usage increase has been inside the arc which he has improved on significantly. He's taking 0.6 more 3PA per 100 possessions. If he's not forcing considerably more 3PA it's not a shot selection issue. There's an illusion of shot selection but we're the 336th ranked offense. How many possessions per game is Halcovage scheming up open shooters where Isaiah Adams is killing the ball movement before it gets to the open shooter by taking bad shots?

His FT shooting has improved but it would have been hard to have been worse.

National average was 71.7% and he shot 66.7% (on a small 60 shot sample), this is an over exaggeration.

I am not laying it all at his feet by any stretch, but he, Sy and Joe should have been the veteran guys looking to lead, they fell short of that and regressed into 1 on 3 basketball for much of the early season. 

Stop blaming the college kids for the failings of the guy getting paid $400k a year

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Bluebird96 said:

Zid Powell with 8 pts & 7 rebs and makes 3/4 FTs down the stretch as UTEP comes from behind and upsets 1 seed Sam Houston to advance to the CUSA final vs the winner of MTSU/WKU.

Mading also starts for Norfolk St. who is in the semis as the #1 seed in the MEAC this evening. Jones and Jack are locked at Iowa St. and Dayton respectively for at large bids. There could be 4 transfers on 4 different teams in the NCAAT this year

This is really the first time I have watched Iowa St this year. CuJo made a good choice. They are a good, tough, well coached team. He is a solid contributor and has hit a couple nice shots and has a few good assists. He is an off ball guard, where he belongs, not a primary ball handler. Next season should be very solid for him.

29 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

This is really the first time I have watched Iowa St this year. CuJo made a good choice. They are a good, tough, well coached team. He is a solid contributor and has hit a couple nice shots and has a few good assists. He is an off ball guard, where he belongs, not a primary ball handler. Next season should be very solid for him.

Up 20 on the #1 team in the land.  Lots of upsets in the conference tourneys, but they almost seem irrelevant with the P5 when half their teams or more go dancing anyway

5 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Zid Powell was named to the CUSA All-Tournament team. Pretty amazing.

Good for Zid. He was always a very talented player who would have benefitted from playing here under a more disciplined coach who ran an actual offense.

Edited by MuchMany

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Good for Zid. He was always a very talented player who would have benefitted from playing here under a more disciplined coach who ran an actual offense.

I think that’s exactly what he got at UTEP. Sometimes you need to save these kids from themselves and they can’t do it on their own or recognize there is a problem 

Zid’s Ortg is down and UTEP’s offense is significantly worse than UB’s last year. They had a nice run but he didn’t turn into Michael Jordan there lol. Not everything has to be a referendum on the last staff.

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Zid’s Ortg is down and UTEP’s offense is significantly worse than UB’s last year. They had a nice run but he didn’t turn into Michael Jordan there lol. Not everything has to be a referendum on the last staff.

True, a good run in a tournament is one thing but may not tell the story. However, in your wildest dreams would Zid have ever been a MAC All-Tournament performer based upon what you saw? Does that then mean he improved under a different system or is the American worse than the MAC somehow?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

True, a good run in a tournament is one thing but may not tell the story. However, in your wildest dreams would Zid have ever been a MAC All-Tournament performer based upon what you saw? Does that then mean he improved under a different system or is the American worse than the MAC somehow?

I think he was probably the second best player on last years team so if we made it to a title game I wouldn’t have been surprised if he propelled us there.

Our 4 MAC tournament MVPs are Xavier Ford, Willie Conner, Wes Clark and Jeremy Harris. I think Clark is the only one with a case as the best player on the team the (entire) season they won it. I think tournament success is often due to secondary or tertiary players stepping up and supplementing the established stars. All of this is basically to say that I think some things just happen in sports and they don’t all have big picture implications.

I think that it’s true that Zid had a worse offensive season this year, but he played well and earned an all tournament spot. His team went on a run primarily because of defense and he scored 21 in the title game. Good for him, don’t think it needs to mean anything about Whitesell and co.

Edited by trueblue32