Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2023 Transfers

Sportsfan

5 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

I think he was probably the second best player on last years team so if we made it to a title game I wouldn’t have been surprised if he propelled us there.

Zid actually led UB with 25 pts in last year’s MAC quarterfinal game vs Akron so he definitely had the ability to step it up at times even if we cringed with every 3-pt shot he put up (17% on the season).  Defense ultimately let us down all last season, and that loss to the Zips was no different as they hung 101 on CuJo, LaQuill & company.

Ironically, Zid shot 4/7 from 3 (just 1/6 inside the arc, though) with 21 pts in UTEP’s loss last night in the CUSA final.  Maybe we’ll see him in the NIT (Selection show @ 9:30 tonight on ESPN2)

Edited by Bluebird96

3 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Probably best for both sides. Personally I never liked his game and we need his scholarship slot freed to revamp things. One of the strangest jump shots I've ever seen, landing about three feet in front of where he took off. Hope he finds a good spot to finish his education.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Probably best for both sides. Personally I never liked his game and we need his scholarship slot freed to revamp things. One of the strangest jump shots I've ever seen, landing about three feet in front of where he took off. Hope he finds a good spot to finish his education.

Good kid but def best that he transfers. Didn’t have a solid role here and just can’t shoot the ball with any consistency to get significant minutes here. 

6 hours ago, Ubbulls84 said:

Good kid but def best that he transfers. Didn’t have a solid role here and just can’t shoot the ball with any consistency to get significant minutes here. 

This is the problem with the portal.  If he cannot shoot at UB, what would make another coach think he can shoot for them?  As the portal gets "more common" the players will begin to realize that many end up not playing somewhere else or having to drop to Division II or Division III.  When that is realized players will be much less likely to enter the portal.

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

This is the problem with the portal.  If he cannot shoot at UB, what would make another coach think he can shoot for them?  As the portal gets "more common" the players will begin to realize that many end up not playing somewhere else or having to drop to Division II or Division III.  When that is realized players will be much less likely to enter the portal.

It's not a problem. Why is it bad that D2 or D3 caliber players find a situation that they can excel in and the D1 team can give a scholarship to a more deserving player? It's supposed to be better if the NCAA holds a gun to their head and makes them stay at UB in a situation that was clearly not working for either party? AFAIK there is no fine print that says Transfer Portal (to another D1 school). It also works the other way. Riley Minnix at Morehead St., and Patrick Cartier/Joel Scott at Colorado St. are a few off the top of my head who moved up and are now playing in the NCAAT

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

I asked this question either in this thread or another…given the success guys who recently transferred out of UB have had, did they just need time to polish their skills or was it poor coaching that we couldn’t get the best out of them?

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

You underestimate the arrogance of college athletes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clodney said:

You underestimate the arrogance of college athletes.

More often the people in their ears telling them how much better they should have it. I actually read an article the other day and it referenced one of the college players agents? Not sure if that was a slip of the pen or not, but with the new NIL world, are players actually able to have agents? If so, maybe I missed that change.

1 minute ago, UBinMD said:

More often the people in their ears telling them how much better they should have it. I actually read an article the other day and it referenced one of the college players agents? Not sure if that was a slip of the pen or not, but with the new NIL world, are players actually able to have agents? If so, maybe I missed that change.

I mentioned this before, but being a recruit in HS is a lot of "me me me" spotlight.   These are young kids.   Now they can chase that spotlight more than once by entering the portal.   This is even at the potential expense of their (non athletic) future, especially if they are not guided well.  But as (young) humans, most prefer the immediacy and not the future.

36 minutes ago, UB92 said:

I mentioned this before, but being a recruit in HS is a lot of "me me me" spotlight.   These are young kids.   Now they can chase that spotlight more than once by entering the portal.   This is even at the potential expense of their (non athletic) future, especially if they are not guided well.  But as (young) humans, most prefer the immediacy and not the future.

I read something the other day that rings very true when I see some of the current "high level" men's basketball. Back in the "old days" being an AAU player meant something, you were likely top 5% of players. Now, if you and your family are willing to pay enough, anyone can be AAU. It has become a rec league on steroids (pun intended). Now coaches not only have to evaluate players, but they have to evaluate the HS league and the AAU leagues that they kids come from. Daunting task because you really don't know what you are getting!

7 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Greg Gordon in the portal at Iona. GH3 tried to get him here last summer, but I imagine he's looking to go up a level after a strong season.

Greg Gordon, 6-5, G, Jr., Iona (16.0 ppg, 7.3 rpg)

Would be a good one to snag, but I would agree, we are probably a step or two below what he is looking for.

2 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Would be a good one to snag, but I would agree, we are probably a step or two below what he is looking for.

Yeah I imagine he's looking to go AAC/MVC if not Big East.

Unfortunately we're going to be looking at guys needing second chances/resets. Graham is an example.

This upcoming season is the last of the bulk of extra covid year guys. We should be able to find some 5th year guys looking for one last shot at PT if that's what the staff is seeking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

Kanye Jones averaged 8.0 ppg and 2.9rpg in 9 games for UB this season? Is that right? That is what I just saw on X. I would not have expected those numbers.

He was not efficient in getting to the 8 points FG% of 0.311; 0.167 from 3.  Did fairly well from the charity stripe.  I wish him well.

Best of luck to Kanye. Was hoping he'd be a big rotation guy for us this season. I guess we never got news on why he left the team this year but I hope all is well for him off the court.

Every minute that goes buy without Adams and Smith entering the portal, I grow more and more shocked.

An old friend: 

4 minutes ago, eyjee said:

Best of luck to Kanye. Was hoping he'd be a big rotation guy for us this season. I guess we never got news on why he left the team this year but I hope all is well for him off the court.

Every minute that goes buy without Adams and Smith entering the portal, I grow more and more shocked.

An old friend: 

Blocker - That will likely require a sitout season right? Or did he redshirt this season?

Adams/Smith - Equally shocked they were not standing at the door waiting for the portal to open.

Edited by UBinMD

1 minute ago, UBinMD said:

That will likely require a sitout season right? Or did he redshirt this season?

I think the sit out season is currently on hold, but it's tough to keep up with all the rulings 

Anyway I think he would be a solid candidate for a waiver. Since I assume he is transferring because the coach that recruited him there was let go 

1 minute ago, Tee4three said:

I think the sit out season is currently on hold, but it's tough to keep up with all the rulings 

Anyway I think he would be a solid candidate for a waiver. Since I assume he is transferring because the coach that recruited him there was let go 

Gotcha, don't really follow IUPUI closely, wasn't aware that guy got canned. Maybe he can get the Canisius job.

17 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Can you tell us anything more about him? Seems to have had a very down year. Injuries?

I don't know about injuries - ETSU fan forum chatter is it was not a surprise - reaction similar to Kanye on this board.