Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

SUNY Teams

zigo230

Not UB related but some pretty impressive stuff from two other SUNY programs.

Cortland rolled into the Division 3 Championship game.  Their QB is a Buffalo kid.  Rare for a Northeast team to make it this far as D3 has been totally dominated by Midwest programs for most of the 2000's (including Lance's Wisconsin-Whitewater teams).  I think a Texas team won it a few years ago.  

UAlbany won at Idaho last night to make the FCS semi-finals.  I saw some of the 1st Qtr on ESPN, they definitely have some good skill position players.  They play defending champ South Dakota State next. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zigo230 said:

UAlbany won at Idaho last night to make the FCS semi-finals.  I saw some of the 1st Qtr on ESPN, they definitely have some good skill position players.  They play defending champ South Dakota State next. 

Notwithstanding a few good seasons at the FBS level including the strange COVID season of 2020 where JP ran wild and the Bulls cracked Top 25, I feel like UB is better suited for FCS after 25 years in the MAC which has only gotten weaker over that time.  In football it’s so hard to compete with the P5 (or 6 or whatever) conferences, and with our difficulty in drawing even 15,000 fans to games, in all reality it seems unlikely any of them will ever come calling.  Meanwhile Albany fans have a realistic shot of watching their team compete for a national championship…sounds like fun

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

In football it’s so hard to compete with the P5 (or 6 or whatever) conferences, and with our difficulty in drawing even 15,000 fans to games, in all reality it seems unlikely any of them will ever come calling.

Albany had an unbelievable turnaround from last year to this year and hosted a home playoff game. The stands were empty. If UB were to stupidly drop to FCS they might as well just play at Kunz because even less people will show up.

image.thumb.png.fdb23e60441d68c9819c74459288595a.png

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 2:26 PM, Bluebird96 said:

Notwithstanding a few good seasons at the FBS level including the strange COVID season of 2020 where JP ran wild and the Bulls cracked Top 25, I feel like UB is better suited for FCS after 25 years in the MAC which has only gotten weaker over that time.  In football it’s so hard to compete with the P5 (or 6 or whatever) conferences, and with our difficulty in drawing even 15,000 fans to games, in all reality it seems unlikely any of them will ever come calling.  Meanwhile Albany fans have a realistic shot of watching their team compete for a national championship…sounds like fun

Yes, let's aspire to be more like Cortland and UAlbany... 🙄

2 hours ago, capencaper said:

Yes, let's aspire to be more like Cortland and UAlbany... 🙄

I’m not saying we join Cortland and revert all the way back to D3.  But UB is never going to be Penn State either.  Maybe a more realistic regional public university for UB to aspire to be more like is UConn, who is also challenged in developing a consistent winning football program at the FBS level.  But they do have D1 ice hockey…

3 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

I’m not saying we join Cortland and revert all the way back to D3.  But UB is never going to be Penn State either.  Maybe a more realistic regional public university for UB to aspire to be more like is UConn, who is also challenged in developing a consistent winning football program at the FBS level.  But they do have D1 ice hockey…

UConn also subsidizes their Athletic Dept to the tune of ~$50 million a year. They are clearly invested in making it work and have the rings to show for it. 
https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/article/uconn-athletic-department-deficit-david-benedict-17726364.php#:~:text=And yet on Tuesday%2C UConn,%246.5 million in student fees.

On 12/10/2023 at 2:42 PM, RapidsFan said:

Cortland and Ithaca have a 90+ year rivalry and annually have the Cortaca Jug game, which is a big draw:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortaca_Jug

Unfortunately all of UB's Little Three rivals took a hint and realized football wasn't sustainable, so a similar local game isn't likely

I went to IC back in the day and the Cortaca jug is definitely a great rivalry.  I went a few years ago when they had it at MetLife Stadium and 45,000 were there..

Ithaca is the last NY State team to win the Championship in 1991,, (two others in 1988, 1979).

15 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

We would of been like Penn State, Ohio State, UNC, etc if UB didn't kill athletics back in the 70s

15 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

To be fair, we have the same number of National Championships as Penn St. since we joined D1 football. They just have a much larger fanbase that engage in mass delusions during football season each year.

19 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

That isn’t possible in Western New York to aspire to be Connecticut Huskies nor would I want to. Because as a Western New Yorker I already feel more sports superior than anything in Connecticut it’s like Alabama same deal. Some NCAA college championships don’t matter they still have to call those horrible places home no thank you. Why would Buffalo/Western New York want to aspire to be that? As a Buffalo Bulls fan and Buffalonian no. I have no interest in supporting a UB Bulls low rent Division I hockey team with less than 2,000 UB fans at potentially Northtowns Center nor do I have the time to follow that it’s a horrible idea started by Bucky Gleason who was a hockey writer for the Buffalo News. I already root for the a low rent NHL hockey team the Buffalo Sabres that are a complete embarrassment for the last 13 years and counting they should probably be contracted if we are telling it like it is. Which I realize is hard for people to tell it like it is with some common sense behind it today.

I personally completely ignore not one but two Canisius and Niagara low rent Division I hockey teams twenty minutes from my home. I am a Canisius alum and could careless and wish Canisius would drop hockey to pool it’s limited resources for basketball like St Bonaventure Bonnies do who don’t have hockey which is smart. UB and UB athletics should stay away from the money pit that is college hockey it’s not worth the added cost. Few care in Western New York about college hockey in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

P.S. Eastern Michigan is removing there track so I think I read UB football will be one of two other football schools in FBS. It’s time to remove the track from UB Stadium UB should focus on that forget about college hockey it’s expensive and would eat into limited resources UB athletics already has in my opinion. 

Edited by UB Horns Up

15 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Cortland win 38-37 when North Central fails on 2 pt try. Zac Boyes being from Ken West will get a bit of local fanfare. 

Grats to them, and I would have figured Brockport would have been the D3 SUNY to win first since they have won a few tourny games in recent years. 

The Scoobies though...🤣

He looks better than anyone we have at QB.

On 12/12/2023 at 2:01 PM, UB Horns Up said:

That isn’t possible in Western New York to aspire to be Connecticut Huskies nor would I want to. Because as a Western New Yorker I already feel more sports superior than anything in Connecticut it’s like Alabama same deal. Some NCAA college championships don’t matter they still have to call those horrible places home no thank you. Why would Buffalo/Western New York want to aspire to be that? As a Buffalo Bulls fan and Buffalonian no. I have no interest in supporting a UB Bulls low rent Division I hockey team with less than 2,000 UB fans at potentially Northtowns Center nor do I have the time to follow that it’s a horrible idea started by Bucky Gleason who was a hockey writer for the Buffalo News. I already root for the a low rent NHL hockey team the Buffalo Sabres that are a complete embarrassment for the last 13 years and counting they should probably be contracted if we are telling it like it is. Which I realize is hard for people to tell it like it is with some common sense behind it today.

I personally completely ignore not one but two Canisius and Niagara low rent Division I hockey teams twenty minutes from my home. I am a Canisius alum and could careless and wish Canisius would drop hockey to pool it’s limited resources for basketball like St Bonaventure Bonnies do who don’t have hockey which is smart. UB and UB athletics should stay away from the money pit that is college hockey it’s not worth the added cost. Few care in Western New York about college hockey in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

P.S. Eastern Michigan is removing there track so I think I read UB football will be one of two other football schools in FBS. It’s time to remove the track from UB Stadium UB should focus on that forget about college hockey it’s expensive and would eat into limited resources UB athletics already has in my opinion. 

Just about everything you said hockey related is just an absolutely terrible take. You must simply hate the sport of hockey. I'm not even sure where to begin. NU and Canisius have had their competitive years in D1 hockey. One even being in the tournament recently. Granted their ceilings can never be high.

UB would have a much higher ceiling. Think Penn St. I kinda wish pegula had plugged similar resources at UB because Penn St D1 hockey instantly became a contender behind his money. Again he went there so kind of a non starter other than the fact he owns the two higher pro teams here.

As for the Sabres they literally missed the playoffs by mere pts last year with a lot of upside players. Granted they haven't exactly seized that momentum this year so far (for some reason they can only beat the top teams in the league). However they are finally on a decent trajectory for once since the Ruff days. 

To outright say they should contract is an embarrassing take for a so called buffalonian. Yikes. But keep on staying positive as always lol

As for D3 SUNY schools, the only one in the immediate area unless you jump a bit further to say Fredonia is Buff St. Theyve had moments of glory but all of those are pieces of ancient history. I'll never forget they beat Lance and UW-WW 7-6 about a decade ago for one of his rare losses.

I always kinda rooted for them to do more but probably never happening. Always had a soft spot for that campus. The old school vibe, the "art district" and hoyt lake. But also the basketball arena and hockey rink, for being D3, are very solid.

Id sadly argue I like both of those facilities better than Niagaras aesthetics wise.

7 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

As for D3 SUNY schools, the only one in the immediate area unless you jump a bit further to say Fredonia is Buff St. Theyve had moments of glory but all of those are pieces of ancient history. I'll never forget they beat Lance and UW-WW 7-6 about a decade ago for one of his rare losses.

I always kinda rooted for them to do more but probably never happening. Always had a soft spot for that campus. The old school vibe, the "art district" and hoyt lake. But also the basketball arena and hockey rink, for being D3, are very solid.

Id sadly argue I like both of those facilities better than Niagaras aesthetics wise.

Couple years ago in the Ellicott tunnel there was a bunch of chalk written everywhere saying Buff State was better than UB, kinda laughed it off