Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MBB @ Toledo | 1/16 7pm | ESPN+

I hope that if the freshman that coach brought in transfer before they graduate that coach can pivot quickly and start to target older transfers to replace them

You don't over recruit players that normally would be going to schools at a lower level than UB for them to turn around and transfer quickly

The team is very obviously being built with freshman and four year players in mind. If you can do it, with patience it's potentially a long lasting program being built that could and would last past multiple head coaches. But it's very risky in today's day and age and can not only blow up in your face but can destroy any coaches career associated with it because if it fails it will fail epically 

4 hours ago, skrabukes said:

So what would that leave us for next year? A very lean roster, much worse than this year's...scary. 

Given the mid-major environment, I think this is an impossible question to answer. An all too early guess I say at a minimum we have:
Sabol
Fulcher
Graham
McVeigh
Diovion

Maybes (these guys have been here for a minute, are good players, maybe they try to get one more year in a better conference)
Adams
Jo

Anticipated Transfers
Boldin
Kanye
Zaakir

And then we get to see how GH3 handles the transfer portal and what kind of talent he's both targeting, and able to recruit (or keep!)

Frankly.... This off-season and the performance of the team next season I think is far more important in evaluating GH3 than this year is.

1 hour ago, eyjee said:

Given the mid-major environment, I think this is an impossible question to answer. An all too early guess I say at a minimum we have:
Sabol
Fulcher
Graham
McVeigh
Diovion

Maybes (these guys have been here for a minute, are good players, maybe they try to get one more year in a better conference)
Adams
Jo

Anticipated Transfers
Boldin
Kanye
Zaakir

And then we get to see how GH3 handles the transfer portal and what kind of talent he's both targeting, and able to recruit (or keep!)

Frankly.... This off-season and the performance of the team next season I think is far more important in evaluating GH3 than this year is.

Diovion? Is he even on the team? Those 5 (looks more like 4) look like bottom 5 in the ncaa quality, and that's if they all stay. Why anyone would want to stay on a 1 win team is beyond me. 

I guess we should just give a pass on a 1 win team since it's his 1st year.

I believe the direction college sports is taking might make me lose interest. The frequent turnover, with players transferring to different schools every year, doesn't sit well with me. While I understand the idea of leaving if the coach departs or is fired, or if you want to play your last year as a graduate student at a new school, I'm not a fan of players switching to three schools in four years or utilizing a seventh year of eligibility.

If we lose Boldin and Sabol, I'm probably going to just watch the pros but maybe that is just me.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2024 at 6:11 PM, TheCommish said:

I believe the direction college sports is taking might make me lose interest. The frequent turnover, with players transferring to different schools every year, doesn't sit well with me. While I understand the idea of leaving if the coach departs or is fired, or if you want to play your last year as a graduate student at a new school, I'm not a fan of players switching to three schools in four years or utilizing a seventh year of eligibility.

If we lose Boldin and Sabol, I'm probably going to just watch the pros but maybe that is just me.

Case in point....9th year?

https://sports.yahoo.com/miami-te-cam-mccormick-to-return-for-a-ninth-season-of-college-football-in-2024-184326403.html?

Edited by TheCommish

On 1/17/2024 at 9:11 PM, TheCommish said:

A super easy way to fix this is you take NIL money you can't transfer without sitting out a year. 

5 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

A super easy way to fix this is you take NIL money you can't transfer without sitting out a year. 

As long as the same rule applies to head and assistant coaches right sit out a year after before taking a new job.  

On 1/17/2024 at 10:59 AM, trueblue32 said:

Last year there were 47 mid-major freshmen guards (6'5" and under), that played 50% of team mins and posted a PRPG! of 1.0 or worse. 8 are playing at a new school this year:
-Javon Bennett: Merrimack -> Dayton
-Reggie Bass: CMU -> Kent
-Tony Felder: VMI -> Stonehill
-Trey Miller: Incarnate Word (coach fired) -> Southern Illinois
-Jason Nelson: Richmond -> VCU
-Jalen Jackson: UIC -> Purdue Fort-Wayne
-Asher Woods: VMI -> Tulane
-Di'Andre Howell-South: St. Francis NY (shutdown athletic department) -> Wagner

Javon Bennett is the only one who stepped up to a program/conference clearly above UB and while he isn't a scorer he's a special case, as true PG who was 2nd in the country in steal rate as a freshman. Not a big market for the Boldin/Sabol profile. If they leave that is much more of an indictment on the program under Halcovage than them getting offers they can't turn down

https://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?link=y&sIndex=11&maxht=77&yvalue=Fr&cvalue=Mid&year=2023&minmin=50&start=20221101&end=20230501&minppg=1&ppgSelect=-1

Both Sabol and Bennett are top 150 freshmen. Boldin, #52 3pt shooter and Sabol higher on the analytic side

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Both Sabol and Bennett are top 150 freshmen. Boldin, #52 3pt shooter and Sabol higher on the analytic side

Boldin has been a solid shooter with 46% FG and 37.8% from 3.  With the minutes he plays (3rd on the Bulls), I’d love to see them find more shots for him.  Feels like I’ve heard this before…

• Like 2