Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MBB @ Toledo | 1/16 7pm | ESPN+

Okay if we don't win after that missed dunk...

That's something that normally happens to us 😅

e: Needed that Chatman three or for Jo to finish the OREB. Good effort tonight though, can't take that away from them. Build on it.

Edited by eyjee

Signs of improvement. Defense was better until late as Toledo still almost scored 80.  Same old refrain with the 3-pt (24%) and FT (54%) shooting.  To make up for their other shortcomings, UB needs to shoot the lights out to have a chance against the better teams (ok, against almost every team).  So far that hasn’t happened even once in 17 games.  On to the next. 

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

Hey @UBinMD do I say my announcer line about first four minutes of the second half?  The team played well for 20 minutes, can they find a way to play solid 40 minutes?  

I was stunned to be tied at half. Overall a solid effort and improvement 

1 minute ago, TheCommish said:

Yes, the board was very toxic during the BullsEye era. I'll try to keep up and average almost a post per day.

Better than a post every 700 days! Welcome back, interesting time to talk UB sports for sure.

I hope we don't need any NIL for these freshmen because we don't have any. We should be able to hold Sabol but Boldin is doubtful imo. 

• Like 1

I have nothing bad to say about this game, considering where they're at so far, except that they fizzled down the stretch.  I didn't think they had it in them, but they kept answering Toledo all second half.  There was an overall greater level of intensity and competitiveness tonight.  It hurts to lose it late but they played with confidence.  Baby steps.

Adams - he's been lackluster lately so he really stepped up tonight.
Chatman - as I keep saying, he scores a lot of points but seems to miss shots at the worst possible times in the game.
Fulcher - is getting better at using his speed to get to the net
Sabol - he made some fired up plays defensively, which is a good development
Boldin - plays big

If they play like this they can beat some teams near the bottom of the league.  There are plenty of times where they deserve our criticism - going on the road and playing Toledo even until the last 5 minutes or so isn't one of them.

• Like 1

Just now, MuchMany said:

Better than a post every 700 days! Welcome back, interesting time to talk UB sports for sure.

I hope we don't need any NIL for these freshmen because we don't have any. We should be able to hold Sabol but Boldin is doubtful imo. 

I have a feeling Boldin won't be back IMO.

Unfortunately, this reminds me a lot of the era of Arkeilpane. 

7 hours ago, MuchMany said:

I had heard our players get in the neighborhood of $10k each. Jack left for Dayton for ~$75k to warm the bench on a winning team. CuJo got $100k + a car.

7 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

I have nothing bad to say about this game, considering where they're at so far, except that they fizzled down the stretch.  I didn't think they had it in them, but they kept answering Toledo all second half.  There was an overall greater level of intensity and competitiveness tonight.  It hurts to lose it late but they played with confidence.  Baby steps.

Adams - he's been lackluster lately so he really stepped up tonight.
Chatman - as I keep saying, he scores a lot of points but seems to miss shots at the worst possible times in the game.
Fulcher - is getting better at using his speed to get to the net
Sabol - he made some fired up plays defensively, which is a good development
Boldin - plays big

If they play like this they can beat some teams near the bottom of the league.  There are plenty of times where they deserve our criticism - going on the road and playing Toledo even until the last 5 minutes or so isn't one of them.

The best part of today was the lack of a complete collapse to start the 2nd half. That was good to see and we kept answering up to the end. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Signs of improvement. Defense was better until late as Toledo still almost scored 80.  Same old refrain with the 3-pt (24%) and FT (54%) shooting.  To make up for their other shortcomings, UB needs to shoot the lights out to have a chance against the better teams (ok, against almost every team).  So far that hasn’t happened even once in 17 games.  On to the next. 

Statistically, UB limited Toledo to their lowest points per possession in MAC play, so credit to the defensive effort.  Offense in general, and 3pt shooting in particular,  continues to be a problem. There were individual signs for optimism, last night it was Adams. The team needs more consistent play as a team.  Ball St. has been near the bottom defensively in MAC play,  maybe that will be thea game to build some consistency on offense.

9 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Does anyone think we'll need big NLI to keep Boldin and Sabol?

I would assume at least with boldin he is more about playing time and opportunity and getting proper or good coaching and even opportunity to play professionally vs money in school

I can't imagine say 50k for himself or his family really moves the needle 

This is actually an interesting thought on recruiting going forward

"the psychology of recruiting in the NIL era" 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheCommish said:

I do not think either player is ready for a step up in college basketball. Remember jumping into the portal is as much about wanting NIL as it is having schools interested in investing in paying you. And while I like them as prospects they are no where near ready for a jump. I think the eventual outcome is a transfer but not after this season. 

Amongst freshmen playing at least 30% of their teams minutes Sabol and Boldin rank 140th and 157th respectively in PRPG! (Offensive rating adjusted for usage and quality of competition). People are overestimating the demand for the 6th and 7th leading scorers on a 2-15 team. I like them as pieces for the future but I don't see a bunch of high major schools kicking down their doors. Maybe they leave if they want to play a smaller role on a mid/low major that could win their conference, but I don't think we're gonna lose them in a bidding war to a P5 unless they light the world on fire in the last ~15 games

https://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?link=y&minGP=15&yvalue=Fr&year=2024&minmin=30&start=20231101&end=20240501

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TheCommish said:

I think if we keep Boldin and Sabol that's a great look for GH3. At the same time if we lose one or both of them, it's not something I'd place solely on GH3 because it's the nature of college sports and the mid-major life right now. Normally, I'd say it's a bit unfair to give someone credit but not place the blame on them if it goes the other way, so I see the fault in my logic in this.

My best guess as it stands now is Boldin will be gone and Sabol will be here for another year, have a Curtis Jones type sophomore season, and then transfer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eyjee said:

I think if we keep Boldin and Sabol that's a great look for GH3. At the same time if we lose one or both of them, it's not something I'd place solely on GH3 because it's the nature of college sports and the mid-major life right now. Normally, I'd say it's a bit unfair to give someone credit but not place the blame on them if it goes the other way, so I see the fault in my logic in this.

My best guess as it stands now is Boldin will be gone and Sabol will be here for another year, have a Curtis Jones type sophomore season, and then transfer.

So what would that leave us for next year? A very lean roster, much worse than this year's...scary. 

Last year there were 47 mid-major freshmen guards (6'5" and under), that played 50% of team mins and posted a PRPG! of 1.0 or worse. 8 are playing at a new school this year:
-Javon Bennett: Merrimack -> Dayton
-Reggie Bass: CMU -> Kent
-Tony Felder: VMI -> Stonehill
-Trey Miller: Incarnate Word (coach fired) -> Southern Illinois
-Jason Nelson: Richmond -> VCU
-Jalen Jackson: UIC -> Purdue Fort-Wayne
-Asher Woods: VMI -> Tulane
-Di'Andre Howell-South: St. Francis NY (shutdown athletic department) -> Wagner

Javon Bennett is the only one who stepped up to a program/conference clearly above UB and while he isn't a scorer he's a special case, as true PG who was 2nd in the country in steal rate as a freshman. Not a big market for the Boldin/Sabol profile. If they leave that is much more of an indictment on the program under Halcovage than them getting offers they can't turn down

https://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?link=y&sIndex=11&maxht=77&yvalue=Fr&cvalue=Mid&year=2023&minmin=50&start=20221101&end=20230501&minppg=1&ppgSelect=-1

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1