Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Carousel Primer (ESPN article)

ATL92

He’s not going to Nebraska. Why in the heck would he want to step down to a mediocre program in a P5 conference? Money perhaps, but Nate isn’t that type of person. So long as he gets the necessary commitment from UB I don’t think he’ll go anywhere. 

The article mentioned Nebraska and Boston College. It considered Oats a P5 2nd tier caliber coach. I agree he isn’t going to Nebraska. A traditional football school. BC is a waste in the tough ACC. That would be a super uphill battle. Right now I think we are safe bc the mentioned schools are at best lateral moves. But if we make a deep run later this month that could all change.

26 minutes ago, UB85 said:

He’s not going to Nebraska. Why in the heck would he want to step down to a mediocre program in a P5 conference? Money perhaps, but Nate isn’t that type of person. So long as he gets the necessary commitment from UB I don’t think he’ll go anywhere. 

Money, and a stepping stone to a better program. And you go from saying he's not the type to chase money, to saying as long as he gets the necessary commitment - generally code for money? 😉

As for stepping down to a mediocre program, he interviewed for a couple jobs last year, including for a 8-24 (0-18 in conference!) Pitt. 

9 minutes ago, ed said:

Money, and a stepping stone to a better program. And you go from saying he's not the type to chase money, to saying as long as he gets the necessary commitment - generally code for money? 😉

As for stepping down to a mediocre program, he interviewed for a couple jobs last year, including for a 8-24 (0-18 in conference!) Pitt. 

How many Mac coaches recently went to middle of the road P5 jobs...two come to mind Jim Christian (who could be let go this year) and what’s his face at Akron John Groce. Both of them left Mac schools went elsewhere only to come back. Yes it can be a stepping stone but it could also setback a career. Whereas he could keep building his resume at Buffalo and be sought after by higher schools.

Maybe the Pitt interview was a way to leverage a raise at UB. Whereas for Jeff Chapel who took the job...it was his stepping stone or way to get back into major conference coaching after his first flame out, and he’s willing to gamble on his famous last name to help him recruit.

There’s a lot more to it than money. Facilities, taking care of assistant coaches, and of course proper recognition what he’s meant to UB on and off the court which naturally should include an appropriate bump up in salary. If it was all about money then he would have left last year when they were talking 1.5M. And there are the intangibles that no one else can duplicate, aside from Wisconsin perhaps, such as the family’s love of the area, Roswell Park, the children’s friend’s and school mates and the program he has built into national prominence which he and his wife believe can only get better. That is a lot to compete with even for middle of the road schools such as Nebraska Penn State etc. 

Edited by UB85

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

How many Mac coaches recently went to middle of the road P5 jobs...two come to mind Jim Christian (who could be let go this year) and what’s his face at Akron John Groce. Both of them left Mac schools went elsewhere only to come back. Yes it can be a stepping stone but it could also setback a career. Whereas he could keep building his resume at Buffalo and be sought after by higher schools.

Maybe the Pitt interview was a way to leverage a raise at UB. Whereas for Jeff Chapel who took the job...it was his stepping stone or way to get back into major conference coaching after his first flame out, and he’s willing to gamble on his famous last name to help him recruit.

yea, sure, it might not work out if he jumps ship to a middle of the road p5.  it might not work out if he went to a blue blood either.  and it might not have worked out when he left high school to come here.  all true, but so what?

as for interviewing at pitt to leverage a raise at ub - that would kind of undermine the argument that it's not about the money.  😄

1 hour ago, UB85 said:

There’s a lot more to it than money. Facilities, taking care of assistant coaches, and of course proper recognition what he’s meant to UB on and off the court which naturally should include an appropriate bump up in salary. If it was all about money then he would have left last year when they were talking 1.5M. And there are the intangibles that no one else can duplicate, aside from Wisconsin perhaps, such as the family’s love of the area, Roswell Park, the children’s friend’s and school mates and the program he has built into national prominence which he and his wife believe can only get better. That is a lot to compete with even for middle of the road schools such as Nebraska Penn State etc. 

so there's a lot more to it than money - there's all these OTHER THINGS that are also all about the money.  😄 and "proper recognition" is, of course, also just code for "more money."  we'll be talking about the school "showing him respect" next.  😛

as for leaving last year for $1.5M.. to where? who was talking that?  he interviewed, but didn't get an offer last year.   

as for the intangibles... i'm sure he loved wisconsin, but left there for detroit for a job.  and he loved romulus enough to stay there for 11 years, but left for buffalo anyway.  he's only been here for 5 years - he'll get over leaving here for another job.  he was also willing to pick up and take his kids from their friends before, so he'll probably be willing to do it again. and if cancer care is a player, well, we're not looking great (hello BC, since it was mentioned above https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/cancer )

this is like the turner gill thing all over again...  these are jobs, and most people want to advance and make more money.  building a program doesn't seem that important to most (vs getting paid at a big program) despite what they say. i don't begrude these guys for it - more power to them.  5 years ago he was making like $60k.  jumped to like 100k, 200k, 400k, and 600k in no time at UB.  if he doesn't feel the love and respect already, well, we're not going to be able to compete.  that's ok.  but let's not pretend it's something it's not.  

• Like 3

alright, give me a reason that you think oats isn't out when a big dollar offer shows up.

keep in mind he interviewed for two other jobs last year.  he just stringing other teams along for fun? and no, he didn't turn down $1.5M afaik - let me know if i'm mistaken there.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ed said:

yea, sure, it might not work out if he jumps ship to a middle of the road p5.  it might not work out if he went to a blue blood either.  and it might not have worked out when he left high school to come here.  all true, but so what?

My point is there is greater risk in leaving for a school like Nebraska or Boston College. I don’t think anyone on this board would hate if Oats left for a blue blood. I think Nate is putting himself in a position where he can be selective bc he knows he will have options. Therefore he doesn’t have to bite at the first offer. Like Pitt. That’s all. So if you are him why leave for a middle of the road P5 school in which you will be fired in less than 4 years when you can build your own profile and hold out for better.

36 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

My point is there is greater risk in leaving for a school like Nebraska or Boston College. I don’t think anyone on this board would hate if Oats left for a blue blood. I think Nate is putting himself in a position where he can be selective bc he knows he will have options. Therefore he doesn’t have to bite at the first offer. Like Pitt. That’s all. So if you are him why leave for a middle of the road P5 school in which you will be fired in less than 4 years when you can build your own profile and hold out for better.

We don’t know what Nate’s and family thoughts are and it is truly speculation on what jobs might become available. I think if Mark Alnutt shows him how important he is here by giving him another bump in salary I think he will stay. Just based on what Nate has said in many interviews that if UB shows a commitment to keeping all this momentum going He wants to stay. There is a lot behind some of the things that Nate has said. With all the recruits he has coming in and the recruits he is still trying to sign I still think he wants to stay. Again we just have to enjoy this ride and hope this run continues. Go Bulls!!!!

22 minutes ago, John said:

We don’t know what Nate’s and family thoughts are and it is truly speculation on what jobs might become available. I think if Mark Alnutt shows him how important he is here by giving him another bump in salary I think he will stay. Just based on what Nate has said in many interviews that if UB shows a commitment to keeping all this momentum going He wants to stay. There is a lot behind some of the things that Nate has said. With all the recruits he has coming in and the recruits he is still trying to sign I still think he wants to stay. Again we just have to enjoy this ride and hope this run continues. Go Bulls!!!!

It’s all speculation until a certain point. And where there’s smoke there fire. I’m not pulling it out of my butt in saying that we will likely be rumored for jobs and interviewed. It’s going to happen. 

But I do agree based on what he’s said he is interested in building both on the court and in his personal family life. And I do agree about the incoming recruits. That’s incentive to stay also. Which all brings me back to my original point...he isn’t going to leave for a bottom job at a P5 conference. He doesn’t have to leave right now. 

The community and us fans/alumni have supported and now it’s time for administration to keep supporting and growing and investing in Nate and this program. Heck both basketball programs. 

23 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

It’s all speculation until a certain point. And where there’s smoke there fire. I’m not pulling it out of my butt in saying that we will likely be rumored for jobs and interviewed. It’s going to happen. 

But I do agree based on what he’s said he is interested in building both on the court and in his personal family life. And I do agree about the incoming recruits. That’s incentive to stay also. Which all brings me back to my original point...he isn’t going to leave for a bottom job at a P5 conference. He doesn’t have to leave right now. 

The community and us fans/alumni have supported and now it’s time for administration to keep supporting and growing and investing in Nate and this program. Heck both basketball programs. 

Thanks for your comments. A lot of the passionate fans comments are based not on any facts or some insider information we know but just like me I want him to stay because of what Nate has meant to the program and what it has done for the UB family and fans. I just can’t see him leaving and go to a team that his in shambles and in a conference where the team has a bad record with little chance of competing against the big boys. There are coaches all over the country that have taken other jobs and after 3/5 years of failure have lost their jobs and have to start all over again. I know it can come down to the money but in Nate’s own words it has to be the right fit. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

John, I do have some insight as I know both Nate and Crystal. I have talked to them. They have shared their love of and for UB, Buffalo, the community and their desire to build a "Gonzaga" type program with me. While we are far from that now, who would have thought it possible just seven or eight years ago that UB Basketball would be where it is now? I was certainly one who did. But there were few other Bullievers. I am confident Nate will be here next year as I was last year when many if not most thought he would be moving on. As I have written elsewhere continue to Bullieve, support the program, donate when and as often as you can, promote the program (how much fun is that right now?!?!) and keep going to games! Go Bulls!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

the rub is, there might not be better options if he doesn't bail sooner rather than later and buffalo goes back to being a mediocre mac team.  we all hope that's not the case and nate builds on the success, but he may also be catching lightning in a bottle. if he's got a potential big payday, he'd be a fool not to consider it (and again, there was no pitt offer); as for why when he might be fired in 4 years, it's because he might make $6M+ in that 4 years, which would have been (a lot) more than he was looking at making his entire career 5 short years ago.  

13 hours ago, UB85 said:

John, I do have some insight as I know both Nate and Crystal. I have talked to them. They have shared their love of and for UB, Buffalo, the community and their desire to build a "Gonzaga" type program with me. While we are far from that now, who would have thought it possible just seven or eight years ago that UB Basketball would be where it is now? I was certainly one who did. But there were few other Bullievers. I am confident Nate will be here next year as I was last year when many if not most thought he would be moving on. As I have written elsewhere continue to Bullieve, support the program, donate when and as often as you can, promote the program (how much fun is that right now?!?!) and keep going to games! Go Bulls!!

Good to hear. Nonetheless I hope Allnut has another extension with 7-figures ready to go, plus a commitment to a new practice facility.

Edited by promotherobot
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ed said:

the rub is, there might not be better options if he doesn't bail sooner rather than later and buffalo goes back to being a mediocre mac team.  we all hope that's not the case and nate builds on the success, but he may also be catching lightning in a bottle. if he's got a potential big payday, he'd be a fool not to consider it (and again, there was no pitt offer); as for why when he might be fired in 4 years, it's because he might make $6M+ in that 4 years, which would have been (a lot) more than he was looking at making his entire career 5 short years ago.  

I do understand the thought process. I still do believe that money is not everything in life. It is not like Nate is making a couple hundred thousand with possible raises in the future. But in today’s world is money the be all and end all of everything. Somewhere happiness in life should count. Our family continue to Bullieve and will continue to support our teams. Go Bulls!!!

13 hours ago, UB85 said:

Thanks for your insight and encouragement. We continue to Bullieve and support our programs and teams. Go Bulls!!!!!

• Like 1

Seems like coach and his family love the area and are entrenched here.  Anything can happen though,,   

Does anyone think UB has a coach-in-waiting ? Kind of like Oats was for Hurley.    I see coach Bryan Hodgson doing interviews lately, on TV, tweeting a lot...  I don't really know anything about him though.

5 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

Seems like coach and his family love the area and are entrenched here.  Anything can happen though,,   

Does anyone think UB has a coach-in-waiting ? Kind of like Oats was for Hurley.    I see coach Bryan Hodgson doing interviews lately, on TV, tweeting a lot...  I don't really know anything about him though.

I think every AD has a short list they keep close to the vest of guys they might target or reach out to. Whether it be an outsider or someone currently on the staff. If they don’t have this list then they are incompetent, especially when the current coach could be sough after.