Wilson

Mcveigh

Juniors (2):

Fulcher

Batchelor

Seniors (1)

Dunn

That leaves us 2 scholarships left.

Hard to predict today with 2 spots left to fill but here is my guess at starters for next season as of now:

PG: Dunn

SG: Sabol

SF: Boldin

PF:  Batchelor

Center:  Grad transfer to come

I would like to see staff fill the last two roster spots with a grad transfer big who can start and provide some veteran leadership and a freshman true big man who we can develop in our system who can play with his back to the basket and rebound and protect the rim.   I like the direction this team is headed and I am looking forward to next season.  This team is going to surprise some people, especially with their ability to shoot.  Lets hope the staff can bring in a few more solid pieces to build on what they have started.  Go Bulls!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Coming off such a poor season and not having a NIL collective (coming???) likely meant we had to go 'off the beaten path'.  UB was in contact with a couple of PGs that recently committed to Arkansas St (yeah that Ark St.) and Davidson (a D2 pickup from Bentley), but neither worked out for UB.  The staff could continue to chase the 'has heard from (list of 15 schools) guys' or try to dig a little deeper and find under the radar talent.

I am not sure how it will work out.  Personally I will wait and see who else they bring in and see what they look like in November, before I make up my mind.  I am an optomistic fan, but I get where you are coming from.

I hear ya and like I said, I'm interested to see how the team comes together and where they land on the wide range of possible outcomes.

But when it comes to "off the radar" prospects, I have my doubts. Staffs' radars are pretty sharp these days with the how connected everything is digitally. There aren't as many secrets out there even as compared with when we recruited CJ and Perk. I'm not sure our staff deserves any faith from us yet that they have the eye or connections to uncover "deeper" talent. Unfortunately it often feels more like taking what they can get.

Goes without saying I hope they prove me wrong and discover a bunch of gems!

Edited by MuchMany
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I hear ya and like I said, I'm interested to see how the team comes together and where they land on the wife range of possible outcomes.

But when it comes to "off the radar" prospects, I have my doubts. Staffs' radars are pretty sharp these days with the how connected everything is digitally. There aren't as many secrets out there even as compared with when we recruited CJ and Perk. I'm not sure our staff deserves any faith from us yet that they have the eye or connections to uncover "deeper" talent. Unfortunately it often feels more like taking what they can get.

Goes without saying I hope they prove me wrong and discover a bunch of gems!

I feel the coaching staff is striving to get the best player and don't think they are just settling.  Here are the ballhandlers that they have pursued and who committed elsewhere:

image.png.59322206f5abb2ac7cfcd6c5e959d34e.png

Given the current situation, it is not surprising to me that these players chose the other teams (and better conferences).  I don't know if there will be a huge drop off with what these players would have been able to contribute at UB vs  what Dunn can contribute.  Unfortunately, UB needs to take some steps forward to get back to where they can compete for players with schools of this caliber again.  

One of the things I wanted to see when GH3 was hired was to build up a Canadian pipe line

Hoping it's just the beginning of bringing in some of the better talent Canada has to offer

Reading about NIL in regards to non us citizens, a school like buffalo who is on the boarder will have the opportunity to get foreign players NIL easier than some other schools. (Apparently there is a loop hole on if it takes place on us soil or not. At least in regards to Zach Eady, who did all his NIL work while the team was in one of the early season tournaments)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I feel the coaching staff is striving to get the best player and don't think they are just settling.  Here are the ballhandlers that they have pursued and who committed elsewhere:

Given the current situation, it is not surprising to me that these players chose the other teams (and better conferences).  I don't know if there will be a huge drop off with what these players would have been able to contribute at UB vs  what Dunn can contribute.  Unfortunately, UB needs to take some steps forward to get back to where they can compete for players with schools of this caliber again.  

I would suspect Belmont has some NIL program. The other two certainly do. That could be a factor as well if it came down to either or with any of these 3.

2 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

2 scholarships left? Get an upperclassmen big with experience and then maybe a freshman that you'll redshirt regardless of position 

I would be on board with that. a redshirt PG would be nice for down the road.

6 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I would be on board with that. a redshirt PG would be nice for down the road.

Yeah would be nice to keep a couple rostered for the following season

UB does have a PG already commit for 2025 though

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

2 scholarships left? Get an upperclassmen big with experience and then maybe a freshman that you'll redshirt regardless of position 

It’s to the point where it doesn’t matter what they do with the two scholarships. On paper, this roster is considerably worse than last year. At least when Whitesell and Co. brought in Foster as a 5th year Senior PG, he was a Dll All American and was being recruited by a handful of mid majors. Where is the scoring coming from next year? What about rebounding? Defense? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Yeah would be nice to keep a couple rostered for the following season

UB does have a PG already commit for 2025 though

If referring to Quintin Cooper, he's a 6'4 scoring guard, not exactly a pass-first PG. Would be great to get a true floor general PG in the mix for the future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Well, they would be settling AFTER missing on all of the players that they've had to compete with any other D1 schools for. That's the definition of settling for me I guess, going with an uncontested route once other options prove difficult.

1 hour ago, Chet said:

It’s to the point where it doesn’t matter what they do with the two scholarships. On paper, this roster is considerably worse than last year. At least when Whitesell and Co. brought in Foster as a 5th year Senior PG, he was a Dll All American and was being recruited by a handful of mid majors. Where is the scoring coming from next year? What about rebounding? Defense? 

Doesn't matter what they do with two scholarships? What if they got Chatman-level players at C and PF? That would certainly make me more confident in the season to come. I'm pretty skeptical at this point too, but the roster isn't finished yet.

35 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Well, they would be settling AFTER missing on all of the players that they've had to compete with any other D1 schools for. That's the definition of settling for me I guess, going with an uncontested route once other options prove difficult.

Settling to me implies they aren't trying,  and I don't see evidence that there isn't enough effort.  I guess we define settling a little differently.  The question will end up being, was it the right effort.   If Dunn is not successful, ultimately Halcovage will be accountable.

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Doesn't matter what they do with two scholarships? What if they got Chatman-level players at C and PF? That would certainly make me more confident in the season to come. I'm pretty skeptical at this point too, but the roster isn't finished yet.

They haven't recruited a single Chatman-level player to date so assuming they go 2/2 is bold. For those who didn't enjoy 27 shots per game from Chatman/Adams, prepare for 27 shots per game from Noah Batchelor and Shawn Fulcher

14 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

They haven't recruited a single Chatman-level player to date so assuming they go 2/2 is bold. For those who didn't enjoy 27 shots per game from Chatman/Adams, prepare for 27 shots per game from Noah Batchelor and Shawn Fulcher

Was only addressing the comment that it doesn't matter what we do with 15% of our scholarships.

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Was only addressing the comment that it doesn't matter what we do with 15% of our scholarships.

I guess it depends how you define "matter". If they pull two rabbits out of a hat that are better than any players that they've recruited to date then maybe they can approach Whitesell's worst season with 15 wins. The realistic "matters" that we're splitting hairs about here is 12th in the MAC vs. 11th in the MAC. That doesn't matter to me, shouldn't matter to Alnutt or whoever replaces him, and definitely won't matter to future recruits

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1

We are returning just 2 of our top 7 players according to Evan Miya’s Bayesian Player Performance rating, and they played limited minutes last year. Granted this is not a perfect metric, and the freshman can take a step forward but right now it’s looking extremely rough for next year. Who is going to score points next year? It seems all GH3 has recruited so far is guys who will be decent role players. By the way, Fulcher was rated as the 3rd worst player in the country by this metric, is a turnover machine and shot 19% from 3 as a guard and he’s our returning leading scorer. Ouch 

IMG_5084.jpeg

6 hours ago, Ubbullsfan09 said:

We are returning just 2 of our top 7 players according to Evan Miya’s Bayesian Player Performance rating, and they played limited minutes last year. Granted this is not a perfect metric, and the freshman can take a step forward but right now it’s looking extremely rough for next year. Who is going to score points next year? It seems all GH3 has recruited so far is guys who will be decent role players. By the way, Fulcher was rated as the 3rd worst player in the country by this metric, is a turnover machine and shot 19% from 3 as a guard and he’s our returning leading scorer. Ouch 

IMG_5084.jpeg

It’s going to dire.

30 minutes ago, Chet said:

It’s going to dire.

Honestly take your negativity elsewhere. It’s the offseason. We’ll have plenty of time to cuss and throw fits. This is GH’s team now. We can be realistic but still optimistic until it’s time to roll the ball out. 

34 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Honestly take your negativity elsewhere. It’s the offseason. We’ll have plenty of time to cuss and throw fits. This is GH’s team now. We can be realistic but still optimistic until it’s time to roll the ball out. 

Honestly, we have about as much knowledge of what the guys will do as if we had a bunch of 3 and 4 star recruits. Until everyone gets together and rotations are set you don’t know.  EMU was going to be really good when 4 star went to EMU, they were a dumpster fire. Segu and Williams, arguably our best recruits ever, on paper, underperformed. Nate is now in the NBA so obviously talent wasn’t the problem. Nobody knows so I’m going to be optimistic until they give me a reason not to. We won 3 games last year, I don’t think I want those top 7 back for an encore. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Honestly, we have about as much knowledge of what the guys will do as if we had a bunch of 3 and 4 star recruits. Until everyone gets together and rotations are set you don’t know.  EMU was going to be really good when 4 star went to EMU, they were a dumpster fire. Segu and Williams, arguably our best recruits ever, on paper, underperformed. Nate is now in the NBA so obviously talent wasn’t the problem. Nobody knows so I’m going to be optimistic until they give me a reason not to. We won 3 games last year, I don’t think I want those top 7 back for an encore. 

My view is similar to you, I will be optimistic and hope for the best come November when we find out for sure what type of team we have.

Right now I have the view that Batchelor will be an improvement over what we saw from Adams, Dunn will be an improvement as primary ballhandler,  the returning players will be better than last year, the bench is deeper and they will play better team ball.  We will see what they do with last two scholarships, but I believe the team will be better. 

That said I support those who are less optimistic than I am and have no problem with them expressing their view.  I am glad that they care enough to stay interested and contribute. 

• Like 3

On 4/16/2024 at 5:44 PM, Tee4three said:

Per Barttorvik.com here is what I see in terms of SR PF/C available similar to Malachi Ndur who UB has contacted.

image.thumb.png.8f54d3ff07227dba24023d300dfd3cc0.png

You can see that Malachi Ndur stats are similar to Smith's although he played fewer minutes.  Here is a chart of all available PF/C by PRPG! and prior team rank:

image.png.f813970246ff3d4382d49773cf3d2cce.png

The 'purple' dot is Ndur and 'aqua' dots are seniors.  This I hope gives some perspective as to level we are targeting vs what is available.

3 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Per Barttorvik.com here is what I see in terms of SR PF/C available similar to Malachi Ndur who UB has contacted.

image.thumb.png.8f54d3ff07227dba24023d300dfd3cc0.png

You can see that Malachi Ndur stats are similar to Smith's although he played fewer minutes.  Here is a chart of all available PF/C by PRPG! and prior team rank:

image.png.f813970246ff3d4382d49773cf3d2cce.png

The 'purple' dot is Ndur and 'aqua' dots are seniors.  This I hope gives some perspective as to level we are targeting vs what is available.

So roughly similar target as jo smith, interesting 

I've never been a big graph guy ha just the basic chart of numbers I can see (I can't see the chart to shared that well but appreciate it greatly)

With the last two scholarships I'd love to see at least one upper class big, and the more I think about it an upper class guard

Wouldn't mind having the ability to slot sabol/boldin/Wilson/McVeigh into a more proper position on the team and let them develop more naturally