Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2024 Roster

2 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Valparaiso...I guess? We have a 6'2" freshman guard who scored 8.1 PPG last year named Ryan Sabol.

Unless it's Bryce Drew, Valpo isn't churning out superstars. Not that we were last year either.

Just now, skrabukes said:

Unless it's Bryce Drew, Valpo isn't churning out superstars. Not that we were last year either.

Yeah just trying to put things in perspective since it seemed like an "even NIAGARA is getting incredible players in the portal and we can't" type of post.

38 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Yeah just trying to put things in perspective since it seemed like an "even NIAGARA is getting incredible players in the portal and we can't" type of post.

TBF Williamson scored more points in one season at Valparaiso (238), than all of Halcovage's D1 transfers (Graham, Batchelor, Mighty) have in 7 seasons prior to UB (207). You can even add in Graham's 29 points at UB and they lose in 8 seasons. I understand the discrepancy in levels the transfers came from, but there's something to be said for getting ANYONE with ANY level of proven production in D1 basketball in two seasons

Williamson also bests Sabol in usage adjusted offensive efficiency as well some secondary categories (rebounds, steals, turnovers). Williamson is also rated better as a defender by a fairly wide margin.

Edited by trueblue32

9 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

TBF Williamson scored more points in one season at Valparaiso (238), than all of Halcovage's D1 transfers (Graham, Batchelor, Mighty) have in 7 seasons prior to UB (207). You can even add in Graham's 29 points at UB and they lose in 8 seasons. I understand the discrepancy in levels the transfers came from, but there's something to be said for getting ANYONE with any level of proven production in D1 basketball in two seasons

Williamson also bests Sabol in usage adjusted offensive efficiency as well some secondary categories (rebounds, steals, turnovers). Williamson is also rated better as a defender by a fairly wide margin.

Wow. In that case, all hail Jahari Williamson! King of WNY College Hoops!?

1 minute ago, MuchMany said:

Wow. In that case, all hail Jahari Williamson! King of WNY College Hoops!?

I definitely didn't say that he was a superstar. Just that the bar is on the floor when compared against UB's recruiting and he clears it. If you want to counter that assertion rather than be hyperbolic I will listen.

6 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I definitely didn't say that he was a superstar. Just that the bar is on the floor when compared against UB's recruiting and he clears it. If you want to counter that assertion rather than be hyperbolic I will listen.

Showing that he has more counting stats than our transfers who were role/bench players at P5 schools is meaningless. Yours and Chet's posts deserved hyperbole in response. I don't think anyone around here is overly optimistic about this team, but the snarky doomsday shit in April is just kinda tiresome, that's all. 🥂

3 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Showing that he has more counting stats than our transfers who were role/bench players at P5 schools is meaningless. Yours and Chet's posts deserved hyperbole in response. I don't think anyone around here is overly optimistic about this team, but the snarky doomsday shit in April is just kinda tiresome, that's all. 🥂

Even if you throw away the rest, James Graham played at the mid-major level last year (in his 4th college season) and was significantly worse than Williamson. You invoked the Sabol comparison: Sabol was worse, on a worse team, in a worse conference.

Halcovage hasn't won a recruiting battle to date and Williamson has shown more at the D1 level than anyone that Halcovage has (successfully) recruited to date.

9 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Even if you throw away the rest, James Graham played at the mid-major level last year (in his 4th college season) and was significantly worse than Williamson. You invoked the Sabol comparison: Sabol was worse, on a worse team, in a worse conference.

Halcovage hasn't won a recruiting battle to date and Williamson has shown more at the D1 level than anyone that Halcovage has (successfully) recruited to date.

Ok...Graham was bad and is not with us anymore. Sometimes players don't work out. 

Yeah, Sabol and Williamson had very comparable seasons (0.6 vs 0.8 PRPG!) so I compared them. They were both on bad teams, with UB being worse (the fact that Sabol kept his head above water in our mess of a season is impressive).

Again, no one thinks our recruiting is impressive right now, but this kid just doesn't matter. I just don't know why anyone would be hand-wringing over a low level transfer to Niagara in our transfer thread. But I'll be right there with y'all on Niagara Scenic Parkway for the parade.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Again, no one thinks our recruiting is impressive right now, but this kid just doesn't matter. I just don't know why anyone would be hand-wringing over a low level transfer to Niagara in our transfer thread. But I'll be right there with y'all on Niagara Scenic Parkway for the parade.

You were in the recruiting threads talking yourself into a high schooler that we recruited that averaged 5.4 PPG so I don't get how you think UB (under Halcovage) is above a kid that averaged 8.1 PPG in the MVC, but blue tinted glasses and all I suppose

Edit: I guess my point is: Williamson isn't a high level transfer, and he'd still start for UB. I think people are downplaying how dire the talent level is on this team, and I guess they'd rather just close their eyes and be surprised about it in November

Edited by trueblue32

11 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

What makes you say halcovage hasn't won a recruiting battle? 

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

What makes you say halcovage hasn't won a recruiting battle? 

It's probably hyperbole, but we haven't publicly landed anyone who had a Top 3/5/whatever and picked UB.

Tyson Dunn - no other D1 offers
Ryan Sabol - no other D1 offers
Lloyd McVeigh - no other D1 offers
Bryson Wilson - 1 D1 offer in 2020, 2 other D1 offers from service academies in 2023
Ben Michaels - no other D1 offers
Tim Oboh - no other D1 offers
Kavon Bradford - no other D1 offers
Sam Akot - no other D1 offers
Brayden Jackson - no other D1 offers within 10 months of committing. Unlikely any were commitable but maybe Halcovage won here
Anquan Boldin - A couple D1 offers, notably EMU. Probably a recruiting win
Shawn Fulcher - had some low major offers, we won this battle it seems and he was one of the worst players in the country

Transfers are ambiguous, they have long "interest" lists, but who knows on offers. Armani Mighty had a visit at Towson so I'll credit Halcovage with a win here. I'll give Halcovage 3.5 recruiting wins.

Now offers we had out that went to other D1 schools instead:
Alex Massung
Braden Hausen
Richard Brisco
Amarri Tice
Ma'Kye Taylor
Josh Reed
Samson Reilly
Angelo Ciaravino
Jack Graham
Isaiah Fields
Sultan Adewale
A host of transfer "interests"

These are just the ones with updates on our recruiting forum, I could be missing some. Not to mention all the Whitesell players he failed to re-recruit

Edited by trueblue32
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Totally was, but only stating a matter of fact. Williamson’s stats are strikingly similar to Sabol although Williamson played about 10 minutes less per game. Many have commented about Sabol’s potential next season so I assumed that some on the board would be interested to know Niagara is getting a player like Sabol from the portal.

The roster has been updated on the UB website:

https://ubbulls.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Noah Batchelor listed at 6'8" 210lbs, up from 6'6" 185lbs at Maryland. His size was the same his freshman year, so his sophomore profile may never have been updated? If he's a legit 6'8" that gives me more confidence in his ability to play the 4
Armani Mighty listed at 6'10" 240lbs which matches his BC profile
Tyson Dunn listed at 6'3" which matches his Western Ontario profile

• Like 1

I forget what I was actually trying to see when I started putting this together, but ended up down a rabbit hole and went back to the last few years of the Witherspoon Era up to the current roster. I color coded by which coach recruited each player and followed it along each player's path and when they dropped out. Interesting to note that Oat's final year was all "his guys" and the two main leaders (Massinburg and Perkins) were 4 year players that hit their peak in their Senior year. Caruthers and Jordan were in their 3rd seasons. Graves was a Sophomore and we hit nicely on McRae and Harris as 2 year contributing transfers. I wonder if we will ever see something like this again at UB. We had a lot of veteran players that played a lot of minutes together.

It was also interesting to note that Whitesell did not have a single one and done freshman (I did not count Ceasar, Jack or Slaughter as they would likely have returned if JW coached last year). Malik Zachery and Ty Perry were upperclassman that came and went (Zachery, we barely knew ye). 

We have had (8) 3-star and (1) 4-star recruit since 2010-11 (sobering). 2 of those were one and done including Famakinde (part of last season's GH3 class). He is still hocking his services on X so I'm assuming he is having trouble finding a home. Character issues or was he overrated out of HS?

We have (1) 3-star on the current roster in Bryson Wilson.

Oats' teams had 3 rated players in his entire tenure with us. Jeenathan Williams, Ronaldo Segu and Brock Bertram. Williams and Segu were Freshman his final season and had limited impact on that team. We all know the Brock Bertram saga.

If you see any errors, let me know.

UB Bulls MBB (Oats Era).pdf

4 hours ago, FordTime35 said:

Kind of rambling and unconvincing if I'm being honest. Like a guy who very well may not have the answers.

I am excited to see if we hit on any of the new players, but I'm also excited when I buy some lotto tickets.

6 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Kind of rambling and unconvincing if I'm being honest. Like a guy who very well may not have the answers.

I am excited to see if we hit on any of the new players, but I'm also excited when I buy some lotto tickets.

The main thing I am hanging my hopes on is that 4 young guys (Sabol, Wilson, McVeigh and Boldin) saw something that made them stick with this staff. In today’s day and age, they could have bolted. I would think Boldin and Wilson could have found decent homes, Sabol maybe a lateral move, McVeigh maybe a slight move down in level. They could just enjoy playing together, but something caused them to stay.

Now we will see if the pieces brought in to surround them can create a decent team. We will see.

On 4/30/2024 at 12:44 PM, trueblue32 said:

It's probably hyperbole, but we haven't publicly landed anyone who had a Top 3/5/whatever and picked UB.

Tyson Dunn - no other D1 offers
Ryan Sabol - no other D1 offers
Lloyd McVeigh - no other D1 offers
Bryson Wilson - 1 D1 offer in 2020, 2 other D1 offers from service academies in 2023
Ben Michaels - no other D1 offers
Tim Oboh - no other D1 offers
Kavon Bradford - no other D1 offers
Sam Akot - no other D1 offers
Brayden Jackson - no other D1 offers within 10 months of committing. Unlikely any were commitable but maybe Halcovage won here
Anquan Boldin - A couple D1 offers, notably EMU. Probably a recruiting win
Shawn Fulcher - had some low major offers, we won this battle it seems and he was one of the worst players in the country

Transfers are ambiguous, they have long "interest" lists, but who knows on offers. Armani Mighty had a visit at Towson so I'll credit Halcovage with a win here. I'll give Halcovage 3.5 recruiting wins.

Now offers we had out that went to other D1 schools instead:
Alex Massung
Braden Hausen
Richard Brisco
Amarri Tice
Ma'Kye Taylor
Josh Reed
Samson Reilly
Angelo Ciaravino
Jack Graham
Isaiah Fields
Sultan Adewale
A host of transfer "interests"

These are just the ones with updates on our recruiting forum, I could be missing some. Not to mention all the Whitesell players he failed to re-recruit

After witnessing the Whiteshell era, it is becoming clearer that athleticism is getting ranked higher than skills in basketball players recruiting.  That formula would appear to work if you have players that are dedicated to improving their skills with hours and hours of individual work (i.e, J. Williams).  Appears those type of individuals are becoiming few and far between.
I am becoming in the NLI ear an advocate of team basketball (euro style) at the mid major level. 

I would prefer a "team of skilled players that stay in school for 3-4 years to graduate" over what we witnessed last year.  Last year (including the record) was an embassment of skills, effort, defense, etc.  Players at 3-4 school's over a college career at a mid major level is insane.  

The transfer portal (except for the top schools) is nothing more than a rotation of mediocrity. 
Mid Major coaches need a new strategy with who they recruit going forward in the NLI / Transfer portal era.

Edited by Sportsfan

35 minutes ago, Sportsfan said:

After witnessing the Whiteshell era, it is becoming clearer that athleticism is getting ranked higher than skills in basketball players recruiting.  That formula would appear to work if you have players that are dedicated to improving their skills with hours and hours of individual work (i.e, J. Williams).  Appears those type of individuals are becoiming few and far between.
I am becoming in the NLI ear an advocate of team basketball (euro style) at the mid major level. 

I would prefer a "team of skilled players that stay in school for 3-4 years to graduate" over what we witnessed last year.  Last year (including the record) was an embassment of skills, effort, defense, etc.  Players at 3-4 school's over a college career at a mid major level is insane.  

The transfer portal (except for the top schools) is nothing more than a rotation of mediocrity. 
Mid Major coaches need a new strategy with who they recruit going forward in the NLI / Transfer portal era.

Well said. I agree that if you could find a group that plays that Euro style basketball at the mid major level, it could create big problem for undisciplined opponents.

Edited by UBinMD

7 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Last one. Another Canadian. No idea the level of competition, but saw he averaged 32 pts a game in 2022-23 

From his highlights looks to be a solid slasher and self creator, albeit on a lower level than D1 at the CCAA level. Was described one of the best in the league, but I’ve yet to find official stats. Another Canadien guy for this roster 

8 minutes ago, Ubbullsfan09 said:

From his highlights looks to be a solid slasher and self creator, albeit on a lower level than D1 at the CCAA level. Was described one of the best in the league, but I’ve yet to find official stats. Another Canadien guy for this roster 

Says he from Montreal, so that’s cool. Listed as a PG/SG. A good slasher that can distribute would be nice. Averaging that many points at least means he has a nose for scoring, which is a good trait. Hopefully it translates to MAC success.