Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Miami University Game

UB92

Not a lot of action here on this board about this game.  

Some post-Miami thoughts.

Offense:

• Marks ran hard and was rewarded -- had a strong game.
  • KVT will never make anyone forget Tyree or even Licata, but he was efficient and showed a good arm.  With defenses loading the box to stop the run, he is going to have open receivers -- he has to make good throws and, for the most part, he did.
  • Receivers looked good!
  • The OC had a better game tonight.  I thought the passing play calls were right and I liked the motion to try to create run opportunities.  The single pulling lineman on the weakside was interesting...you don't normally see that, but they ran it a few times.  They likely need a jet sweep here or there and even a pitch.  

Defense:

• There was a Miami receiver that dropped three passes and two of those were one he has to catch (both would be TDs).  Game could have changed on that.
  • Buffalo had 0 sacks and 1 QB hurry.  This means Miami's line did a good job and the QB got the ball out quickly.  This will be a key to success for some teams against the Bulls in the future and will likely be our Achilles heel this season.  
  • For the most part, I thought the Bulls controlled their running game.  The defense stiffened on third down and was able to get off the field when they needed to.  That was a key to making it a blow out in the second half.

Special Teams:

• Cook let the ball bounce on a punt that he should have fielded and it cost the team a bunch of yards on the bounce.  If all he does is catch the ball (fair catch), that's okay.  But he has to catch it before the bounce when safe.
  • McNutty is on autopilot.  If the goal posts were arena league width, he would have still made all of his extra points.
  • McNutty had four of six touchbacks and one of the non-touchbacks was a long kickoff due to the 15 yard penalty after the TD. (Miami ended up starting on the 25 after good coverage).
  • Maybe Finegan is gun shy?  He picked up where he left off last week with some poor punts.  He did have a good one at the end of the first half, but Balter got the opportunity to punt (and kickoff and, apparently, dance) at the end of the second half.  I guess it is good to get Balter some action in case he is needed in other games.

Next up is BGSU and they don't really have a good offense.  Buffalo should be decided favorites in this one.

Go Bulls.

• Like 2

We definitely got lucky with the drops. I was extremely impressed with KVT especially after the first quarter thinking “if this keeps up how long until Myers goes in.” With a 6 game season there’s zero margin for error and thankfully he turned it around quickly and had a career game. Anyone know why Riggins and Washington are out? I think our defense played fine without them and gets a lot better when they’re back. Took care of business against what should be our toughest opponent. 6-0 should not be off the table now. 

32 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Maybe Finegan is gun shy?  He picked up where he left off last week with some poor punts.  He did have a good one at the end of the first half, but Balter got the opportunity to punt (and kickoff and, apparently, dance) at the end of the second half.  I guess it is good to get Balter some action in case he is needed in other games.

Please spell his name correctly.  It is Baltar.  I need no connection to him after attempt at dancing on the sidelines last night,

1 hour ago, UB05 said:

We definitely got lucky with the drops. I was extremely impressed with KVT especially after the first quarter thinking “if this keeps up how long until Myers goes in.” With a 6 game season there’s zero margin for error and thankfully he turned it around quickly and had a career game. Anyone know why Riggins and Washington are out? I think our defense played fine without them and gets a lot better when they’re back. Took care of business against what should be our toughest opponent. 6-0 should not be off the table now. 

Both are hurt for some time, both were injured during a team scrimmage. Riggins should be back before Washington 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Two weeks in a row UB comes out in the 3rd Qtr of a close game and outscores our opponent 21-0.  Chalk it up to great coaching adjustments, veteran leadership or some luck. Maybe all three but that is some serious production.  

I agree about the Miami WR drops.  If he catches any of those it could have been a different game.  On the flip side, UB receivers had a great game...I don't recall many drops, maybe none at all.  KVT really stepped up in the 2nd half as well.

Marks must've been tipped off that the Bills GM and other NFL scouts were there (according to the Buf News).  He ran hard, really hard!  That was good to see and the D also played really well throughout.  They tightened up on the deep passes.

I find myself disappointed when Kadofi Wright doesn't score a TD in a game. That's the level of ridiculous play we are used to from our D. Missing multiple starters? No biggie. Bend, don't break, and some fortunate drops. Many freshman, like Logic Hudgens, getting in the last 2 games. And last night Tyree Thompson and EJ Brown showed they were quality transfers. I saw a tweet today that said when Buffalo extends an early offer, East Coast programs take note, as our staff has an eye for talent.

And this staff just rebuilds the OL without much drop-off year to year. It's so nice as a fan to trust we can run and pass block, unlike a decade ago when our program couldn't even develop 2 or 3 quality linemen, at times.

Anybody else see the feature on ESPN SportsCenter about an hour after the game (after they got done with all the NFL drivel)?  It was a really nice feature on the Buffalo win and had some great shots of Vantrease taking hits, such as on one of the TD's where he sat up afterward and made a victorious gesture.  It belongs on a hype video!  

15 hours ago, zigo230 said:

Anyone see the crazy last couple mins of the Toledo/WMU game last night?  Insane ending.  I'd bet with a minute to go, Toledo's chance of winning was still 99.5%...and they lost.

I checked.  At one point it was (at least) 99.9%...the highest ESPN.com shows.   So what you saw was, statistically, a 1 in (at least) 1000 scenario.

• Like 1