Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MAC East Tiebreaker?

UBlearns

Been looking to see if I can find any info on MAC divisional tiebreakers for this year.  Found this article from ESPN in October - https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30217094/mac-football-teams-play-least-3-games-eligible-conference-title - which says winning percentages will be the first tiebreaker, followed by H2H results.  Here is a separate older uncited article with some divisional tiebreakers - http://cfbhc.com/wiki/index.php?title=MAC_(Mid_American_Conference)#Tiebreaking_Procedures.

UB sits 4-0, Kent State 3-1, and Ohio/Miami at 2-1.  You never count your chickens before they're hatched, but am I correct in my reading that - assuming UB's next two games are played (big If in the Covid era), UB just needs to win 1 out of 2 in order to clinch the East?  If they win just 1, the worst they'll be is 5-1.  Ohio and Miami have had their game cancelled, so the best they can do are 4-1.  Kent could get to 5-1, but UB would have the H2H tiebreaker.

Or, even more cynically....UB is 4-0...they've played the minimum 3 games required to win the division, and the first tiebreaker is winning percentage.  If their next 2 games get cancelled.....they're guaranteed a 100% winning percentage....wouldn't that mean they win the division?

It's been clarified in today's Buffalo News.  The MAC conference puts head to head results over winning percentage.  So if UB loses to Ohio and they both end the season with 1 loss, Ohio wins the East (even though they didn't play Miami). 

If UB loses, they could also win the East by beating Akron and having Ohio lose at Kent State in their finale.

Let's just beat Ohio and call it a day..

2 hours ago, zigo230 said:

It's been clarified in today's Buffalo News.  The MAC conference puts head to head results over winning percentage.  So if UB loses to Ohio and they both end the season with 1 loss, Ohio wins the East (even though they didn't play Miami). 

If UB loses, they could also win the East by beating Akron and having Ohio lose at Kent State in their finale.

I didn't read the Buffalo News, but I assume that this is for "this year only" and not in general.  After all, if you only go head-to-head, UB has a few "Transitive National Championships", let alone MAC titles.

https://www.myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com/path;winner=Buffalo;loser=Clemson;sport=CFB;year=2016;method=2

3 hours ago, zigo230 said:

Interesting, thanks for posting.

A little disconcerting - would've been nice to have that Akron game in the back pocket (because let's be honest, it's a game in which UB will be very heavily favored) in the event of a dud in Ohio this weekend.  But I suppose that's what happens in a Covid year.

3 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

This should clinch the East and a trip to Detroit.

This was my thought as well, but seeing unconfirmed speculation that the divisional tiebreaker may be divisional record, not overall conference record.  So if UB loses to Akron next week, and Ohio beats Kent, UB would be 3-1 in division and Ohio would be 3-0.  Seeing some uncertainty, kinda hope the conference itself can weigh-in on something like this.  I know it's the MAC and in the grand scheme of college sports it's a rather forgotten conference, but there still shouldn't be tiebreaker uncertainty.

Unreal...and too late in the week to even try to schedule another opponent. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the MAC has a clause that would prevent scheduling other opponents anyhow. What a shame.

This was always the most likely game to get canned when the schedule was released.

24 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Wow, Akron smoked BG 31-3. They'll be fired up for the Bulls.

Yep, I'm sure the team remembers we have not blown out the Zips the last 2 seasons, as we have done to other teams. Akron has nothing to lose so we have to come out cranking out big plays. Akron tried our approach today, run first pass 2nd. They ended up out-gained, only 2 long drives for TD's, but BGSU handed them short fields. Today was a fun MAC day, Western loses, Ball State is peaking.

2 hours ago, UBlearns said:

Ohio vs Kent cancelled for this weekend.

Ohio pretty much had their season wiped out.  Makes me nervous that our game could be canceled.  But since UB was clean for last week's game, and Akron obviously played, that's a good sign that both teams *should* be OK for this weekend.  

18 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

It's official. Buffalo is declared MAC East champions. Ohio/KSU was called off, the only game that could have impacted us. We now play the winner BSU/WMU Saturday at Noon in the conference championship.

Promo is UB v Akron still on?