Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

So trying to move on, accept we will likely face a gauntlet in Cleveland.  I am wondering from a practical standpoint what the team can do differently if they do earn a rematch with Toledo in Cleveland.  If you look at the three MAC losses, Toledo only shot 42% from two point.  In their blowouts of Buffalo and Ohio, they shot 61% from 2 point range.  One thing that let the game get out of hand last night were the early fast break layups by Toledo when Buffalo was missing shots and not getting the offensive rebound.  Seems like the coaches will need a plan for this if they are able to get a rematch.  Ohio should be thinking about the same thing if they make it to finals against Toledo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

If they aren’t going to reschedule games (which for us they can easily do) then seeding should be determined by win percentage. It is mind blowing why the mac decided to make this confusing and unfair change. But whatever…I think we all deep inside knew we were destined for the 4/5 game/route. 

The good thing is that in the up and down tiebreaker situation, they'd still be the #3 seed, it still benefits them over winning %. Who unfairly got a shake at the #2 seed is Akron, who luckily doesn't have a tiebreaker on anyone, but UB. 

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

So trying to move on, accept we will likely face a gauntlet in Cleveland.  I am wondering from a practical standpoint what the team can do differently if they do earn a rematch with Toledo in Cleveland.  If you look at the three MAC losses, Toledo only shot 42% from two point.  In their blowouts of Buffalo and Ohio, they shot 61% from 2 point range.  One thing that let the game get out of hand last night were the early fast break layups by Toledo when Buffalo was missing shots and not getting the offensive rebound.  Seems like the coaches will need a plan for this if they are able to get a rematch.  Ohio should be thinking about the same thing if they make it to finals against Toledo. 

Free throws. Plain and simple. Toledo in 2 games was 40 of 51. We were 16 of 21. Out scored by 24. Last night we were out scored by 11 at the line. So not only are we not defending against them in 2 games, they are getting and hitting an absurd amount more FTs than us. And in both games we shot well from the line which doesn’t always happen. Or else it would be uglier. So if we are fortunate to see them again, we have to defend better and defend without fouling. Sure Toledo is going to score but we have to find a way to slow them down and keep them off the line.

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

One thing that let the game get out of hand last night were the early fast break layups by Toledo when Buffalo was missing shots and not getting the offensive rebound.  

You hit on a big one here.  As I was watching last night, I noticed that the shooter tends to release a 3pt. shot, then hold the follow through until the shot clangs off of the rim, and does not follow their shot.  Everyone else seems to stand around and watch to see if it goes in.  Nobody was going in for offensive boards on outside shots.  

3 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

One thing that let the game get out of hand last night were the early fast break layups by Toledo when Buffalo was missing shots and not getting the offensive rebound.  Seems like the coaches will need a plan for this if they are able to get a rematch.  Ohio should be thinking about the same thing if they make it to finals against Toledo. 

The announcers hit on this.  We are a good offensive rebounding team so we have a couple of guys crashing the boards regularly.  When we dont get the rebound, we are very vulnerable to a fast break because not as many guys dropped back as the shot is up.

5 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

This isn’t official but sounds like the 3-seed is no longer in play.

From what I’m hearing, it looks like UB can be the 2-seed with a win and Ohio loss

They should be the 4-seed with a win, Ohio win and Akron loss.

Everything else results in a 5-seed.

True insanity in the MAC. Need a win to get our mojo back before Cleveland!

12 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

From what I’m hearing, it looks like UB can be the 2-seed with a win and Ohio loss

Total cluster by the MAC on this. Hearing that schools don't even know where they stand heading into the final games. 

I'm super unsure how they could have been the 3 going into the Toledo game, but not have the chance to be the three again with an Ohio or Akron loss. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kevin said:

Total cluster by the MAC on this. Hearing that schools don't even know where they stand heading into the final games. 

I'm super unsure how they could have been the 3 going into the Toledo game, but not have the chance to be the three again with an Ohio or Akron loss. 

Yep, I’m still looking for definitive answers. I wouldn’t rule out anything at the moment.

30 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Disregard earlier note about 3-seed.

Just discussed another possibility. Assuming Buffalo wins, if Ohio wins and Akron loses, UB should get the 3-seed with Ohio at 2, Kent State at 4 and Akron at 5.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

1 minute ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Disregard earlier note about 3-seed.

Just discussed another possibility. If Ohio wins and Akron loses, UB should get the 3-seed with Ohio at 2, Kent State at 4 and Akron at 5.

That's better. That's what I thought. 

UB win + Akron OR Ohio lose 

Getting more clarification now. The previous scenario where UB could be tied with “both” teams ahead and behind them based off winning percentage is not applicable, meaning, if Akron is 14-6, UB is 14-5 and Ohio is 15-5, that will not be considered a 3-way tie even though UB would technically be tied with both of them according to “no contest” rules. This is a complete mess!

4 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Getting more clarification now. The previous scenario where UB could be tied with “both” teams ahead and behind them based off winning percentage is not applicable, meaning, if Akron is 14-6, UB is 14-5 and Ohio is 15-5, that will not be considered a 3-way tie even though UB would technically be tied with both of them according to “no content” rules. This is a complete mess!

Agree, total mess. Classic case of overthinking it by the MAC. Should’ve either done everything they could to re-schedule the only 2 games that haven’t been played (CMU/UB, CMU/Ball St), or just go by win % like they did last year with many more canceled games and seemed to be the fairest way to work it all out. IMHO

• Like 4

Finally got 100% confirmation.

Buffalo can’t be the 3-seed. There will be no multiple team tiebreakers with unbalanced records. In Kent State, Ohio, Buffalo scenario, they’ll break the 15-5 tie first betwen Kent and Ohio which Kent wins. Then it would be 15-5 Ohio vs. 14-5 Buffalo, which Ohio wins.

1 minute ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Finally got 100% confirmation.

Buffalo can’t be the 3-seed. There will be no multiple team tiebreakers with unbalanced records. In Kent State, Ohio, Buffalo scenariO, they’ll break the 15-5 tie first betwen Kent and Ohio which Kent wins. Then it would be 15-5 Ohio vs. 14-5 Buffalo, which Ohio wins.

What seeds could we get?

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

If we can’t get the 3 then it would seem we are stuck in the 4/5. So does this make tonight’s game meaningless?

I thought if we won and a few games went our way then we could get the 2 but I am not sure

1 minute ago, Erie County said:

Akron didnt matter, i read that just Ohio did, they have 21 at half. That would have been nice to have been on their side of the bracket

Yep. End of the day this UB team put themselves in the position they are in. This is either gonna be the greatest run to a Mac title or a sad end to an underachieving era of UB basketball. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Erie County said:

Akron didnt matter, i read that just Ohio did, they have 21 at half. That would have been nice to have been on their side of the bracket

Ohio sure looks beatable lately. And Kent is okay but can be beaten if we take better care of the ball. Toledo is the team to beat, let’s see if they can handle that pressure 

• Like 1