Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

5 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Toledo narrowly beat CMU by 2 just a couple weeks ago so maybe the Chips have figured something out or they just match up better with Toledo than UB did in our game with them.  Nobody is unbeatable in the MAC!

And Cmu had a chance but didn't even get a shot off! Toledo shooting 70% in 2nd half now, crazy.

This might be Toledo's year. They have good. But it's been more than 11 years at Toledo for their head coach, Todd Kowalczyk. They always seem to choke in the MAC tournament. Expecting them to do the same this year too. Should have lost today. It's a one bid league. If you can't win in Cleveland, nothing else really matters.

Toledo blowing it today and their long drought reminds me to be thankful that we finished the job in the MAC in so many of our great seasons. During the Akron game when the heavy doom and gloom came out, I randomly thought about being in Cleveland for the 2019 semis against CMU. Tied in a dogfight with 3 minutes to go, favored by 12-13. I was so damn stressed and that would have been such a crushing loss. It's not easy but it's why I try to enjoy the good times (and any good during the bad times) because nothing is guaranteed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Bad day for toledo, AM and PM loss by both #1s. That's why they play the games.

Toledo's mens program has been so disappointing.  It seems like they choke every year. Great regular season and another exit without a title in Cleveland. 

• Like 2

It’s truly amazing how badly Toledo chokes in Cleveland on a yearly basis.

Tough night for Ohio. Kent State has been playing the best basketball in the MAC.

If they can continue playing their stifling defense and sneak in as a 14, they might have a chance to pull an upset in the tourney. Won’t predict it but they’re a solid squad.

9 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

It’s truly amazing how badly Toledo chokes in Cleveland on a yearly basis.

Tough night for Ohio. Kent State has been playing the best basketball in the MAC.

If they can continue playing their stifling defense and sneak in as a 14, they might have a chance to pull an upset in the tourney. Won’t predict it but they’re a solid squad.

A player like carry plus their defense can win a game in the tournament 

• Like 2

Not sure how deep you all get with your basketball content consumption, but Sam Vecenie at The Athletic does some of the best young player content around (CBB and NBA). His most recent podcast at the 45:30 mark highlights Toledo's Ryan Rollins as a top 30 NBA draft prospect this year and a better NBA prospect than Jason Preston was last year. Concerns are athleticism and in-game shooting (granted with solid mechanics) while pluses are suddenness, finishing through contact, and scoring relative to age (he and Johnny Davis are the only teenagers in CBB to average 19+ ppg).

It would obviously be good news for UB if he splits after this year. It's also good to know that people are indeed combing the MAC for talent (just not 6'6.5" forwards with inconsistent motors who can't really shoot or dribble). And while the safe bet is to temper expectations for incoming freshman, I'm going to believe Ceaser is the MAC's Ja Morant until I see otherwise in person 😂. We're due for a guy in the Association!

• Like 2

🎶 "Where is the team? Where is the team's leaders??" 🎶

Seriously though, expected worse from the reactions before I saw it. I imagine I'm a bit younger than the board average and I played Buffalo Public School basketball, so I've seen some stuff that makes this look like Sesame Street...but yeah I don't know, bad words for sure. Cell phones aren't your friend kids. Should be a crazy game.

• Like 1