Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#21 UB @ Canisius (12/29 - 7:00pm ET)

Reggie’s zone was a good stroke for Canisius to start. Bulls got back with some great 3 point shooting. These games rarely play out as they would be expected to. Nobody in foul trouble. Turn up the defensive heat in the second half, but whatever you do: don’t let the Griffs hang around in this game at their house. Even though it looks as though there are more U.B. fans there.

As my brother said on the way home tonight - we never, ever, EVER get tired of beating Canisius/Bona/Niagara.  Most of the time it's a tough game, but this felt tougher than expected.  The Bulls played a lot of sloppy basketball tonight, especially from some of the guards.  Canisius started out 5 for 9 from three, and had a 10 point lead; at halftime they were 6 for 17 from behind the arc, and down 6.  A strong first 8 minutes or so of the second half let UB open up a double digit lead that kept feeling like more than it was.  I thought first half UB wasn't getting to the hoop enough, wasn't driving the lane.

I am known as a long-time Reggie supporter.  I don't care what your playing style is as long as you're winning.  There is a time to run the floor, there is a time to work it around.  But I could see in the second half, as it wore on, Canisius kept playing too slow and deliberate.  There's a time to work it around and protect possession.  When you're down double digits down the stretch, you need to pick up the pace.  Of course, teams that have tried to run the floor against UB have rued that decision.  Something is going on at Canisius.  One of their guards slammed the ball up off the floor after an inbound, instead of just flipping it to the other guard.  Molson sat for big stretches of the game, and Reese for a lot of the second half.  Molson has the demeanor of an overly cocky player who's already done it all, not a hungry guy.  They're down double digits in the second half and Reggie has his two best scorers on the bench.  They won a piece of the regular season MAAC last year, if that banner is correct, but they're 3-8 right now.  Some Canisius fans were yelling at their coaches in the second half.  Something seems amiss there.

Perkins - got in some great spots underneath, got to the line down the stretch.  A strong game for him.
Jordan - he's had better nights.  Wasn't able to draw those offensive charges tonight.
CJ - started out great, went quiet, hit a couple big shots in the second half, another one of his games where you look up and see he put up stats but can't totally remember how
Graves - hitting his three's but got in foul trouble
Dontay - absolutely picked Molson's pocked a couple times on the perimeter, got to the hoop well a few times, but also a little clumsy in possession
Harris - his shots were so smooth today, Canisius had no answer for him.  I thought this was one of his best games so far this year.

Crowd - a great turnout by UB fans, because there hasn't been some times in the past for this game.  But that was one of the most lifeless sellout crowds I can remember.  It was hard to unite several different groups of UB fans, but even when my brother and I tried to make some noise, few if any joined.  Too many people comfortable just observing.  Enjoy this team!  There is no better time to live it up than in their gym, when their fans do nothing.  We're better than this - but anyone is better than C-Block, which was nonexistent.  Canisius finally has some of their own students playing in a small band, which is an improvement over the high school kids they used to import to do the job.

Tonight wasn't the eviscerating embarrassment of a local rival that I was hoping to see, but fun to see nonetheless.

26 minutes ago, ubbulls08 said:

That was the most disingenuous I’ve ever seen Reggie be. 

When’s the last time they sold out a game? Hosted a ranked team? 

Oh, and it happens to be the team that let you go?

That was silly.

The "I'm not going to dignify that with an answer" & sassy look was pretty on brand Reggie for me. I love it, hope he turns it around in MaaaaC play.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

The "I'm not going to dignify that with an answer" & sassy look was pretty on brand Reggie for me. I love it, hope he turns it around in MaaaaC play.

MAAC is garbage this year, Canisius can still put together a season.

The call a time out with 80 seconds left, down double digits was off brand Reggie.  Especially sending out the full court press afterwards.  Either somebody had money on the game or he's not letting up on his former employer.  Whatever it takes to get Big 4 hoops back to relevancy.  Steal the damn main street sign and put it outside alumni arena.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rma said:

MAAC is garbage this year, Canisius can still put together a season.

The call a time out with 80 seconds left, down double digits was off brand Reggie.  Especially sending out the full court press afterwards.  Either somebody had money on the game or he's not letting up on his former employer.  Whatever it takes to get Big 4 hoops back to relevancy.  Steal the damn main street sign and put it outside alumni arena.

Calling a timeout way past the point of return is pretty on-brand from my recollection. No disrespect, I still somewhat cherish the tshirt I have with his face on it.