Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#21 UB @ Miami, OH (3/1 - 8pm EST)

Jeseph

In a different year, we lose that game.  But we have enough this year to get out of Oxford with a win.  Did not have that last year.  Graves has been such an important player this year.

On a different note, they guy that Jordan trains with during the summer (that UCF guard who announces the games)...he needs to take Segu with him this summer.  And...Segu needs needs needs to hit the weight room.   Maybe if he was in a bottom 3rd conference he could get by, but he is in a top 3rd conference.  He needs to get stronger to fight through on defense and offense

1 minute ago, UB92 said:

In a different year, we lose that game.  But we have enough this year to get out of Oxford with a win.  Did not have that last year.  Graves has been such an important player this year.

Next year. Next year we will lose games like this on the road. And Miami will be better as their underclassmen age. But that’s next year. For tonight we leave Oxford with the W. 

3 minutes ago, UB92 said:

On a different note, they guy that Jordan trains with during the summer (that UCF guard who announces the games)...he needs to take Segu with him this summer.  And...Segu needs needs needs to hit the weight room.   Maybe if he was in a bottom 3rd conference he could get by, but he is in a top 3rd conference.  He needs to get stronger to fight through on defense and offense

Knowing this coaching staff I hope both Segu and Williams are put on a program to change their physical and mental makeup. Neither one had to play a shred of defense in high school and it shows big time. Just hope both can improve. What is scary is not all kids no matter how good they were in high school can make the transition to college D-1 ball. Reese and O’Field are two and of course there are many more. Both Reese and O’Field ended up playing JUCO ball. Again it is nothing personal against any of these kids. Some make it and some do not. Go Bulls!!!

3 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Plus, another TV game (& victory) for Canisius.  Great for Basketball in Buffalo!

Canisius gym is pathetic. Looks like they are playing in a smallish high school with terrible lighting.

Good for Spoon, though. Classy, smart, Buffalo guy. Good luck to him and the Grifs.

3 minutes ago, John said:

Knowing this coaching staff I hope both Segu and Williams are put on a program to change their physical and mental makeup. Neither one had to play a shred of defense in high school and it shows big time. Just hope both can improve.

We see flashes of good and flashes of bad. But that’s a freshman for you. Also they don’t play very many minutes...8-10 a game if they are lucky. So not much in game reps for them. I thought Williams was good tonight. Hit a 3 and had 4 boards, 3 of which were O-boards. Their time will come and I have all the confidence in the staff to grow and develop them. Their weaknesses are easily correctable and coachable. I keep using Graves as the example of the kind of leap they can make from year 1 to year 2. 

I agree Segu needs to fill out more physically, develop a pull up jumper and run the offense better. And that both players need to work on their defense. I feel Williams will be the better defender in the long run but the talent is there in both of them. Their time will come and their best games are ahead of them.

1 minute ago, 121Merrimac said:

I don’t care about their gym.  I do hope their nationally televised games increase attendance at all future BB games around Buffalo. 

Watched some of the second half. It was like watching paint dry. Both teams slow and methodical and not much talent. But good for Reggie. 

6 minutes ago, ubbulls08 said:

We will be fine next year. Definitely a contender. Apparently a few of the transfers are really good. (Remember when they told us about Wes Clark? I'm inclined to believe them!)

I have all the confidence in the team this year and next year. I am guilty of probably thinking these two players would show more even with their limited minutes because of their overall status of athletic ability. We hear they are in the gym all the time and hope that will translate into play on the floor. Next year’s team is going to be like the women this year. A different makeup of players. Do agree we gutted out a win that maybe in other years we might not of won. Hope CJ is okay and a little concerned KitKat the last few games he has had ankle injuries. Go Bulls!!!!!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, pottier25 said:

I still believe they are going to turn it on entering the MAC tourney and into the post season. So hard to get up for all these games being such a big favorite most nights. Starting to think Harris isnt going to get it going. 

Agreed. I think it is all mental now. Our team looks... bored. I don't blame them. They had an OOC schedule where they played top ranked teams then came back to the MAC where they think all the teams are pushovers. I am not saying it is the right mentality but, to me, that is how it looks.

MAC tournament this will be a different team. I would say for senior night as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

It looks like they use candles for lighting. Just awful.

Both Canisius and Niiagara gyms are small with only around 2,000 seats. When both Niiagara and Canisius had their very good teams and the place was packed it was a great college atmosphere not withstanding both colleges don’t have any money to change the gyms. Kudos for Reggie for what he has done with this team without Reese but the MAAC this year is very average or below. 

I'm just glad we are 26-3 and 14-2 in league and been ranked for 16 straight weeks! This has been one amazing season so far and cannot wait for March to extend as long as possible. I assuredly don't want to hear anything negative from anyone about this squad or coaches. It's a fun ride and I don't want it to end.

13 hours ago, Jeseph said:

This is the first game where I question harris’ effort. He’s sleep walking

Harris is now struggling with the other parts of his game also. When was the last time you saw any pick and rolls with him to get open. Teams know where is game is now. If he has a three and takes it than so be it. But teams now are fronting him with pressure from one or two players and he has nowhere to drive. When was the last time you saw him inside the key and take little jumpers. just so hard to watch but praying for him to turn it around. But here we are talking about poor play and the team has only three losses. Go Bulls!!!!!

2 hours ago, BullsFan14 said:

Agreed. I think it is all mental now. Our team looks... bored. I don't blame them. They had an OOC schedule where they played top ranked teams then came back to the MAC where they think all the teams are pushovers. I am not saying it is the right mentality but, to me, that is how it looks.

MAC tournament this will be a different team. I would say for senior night as well.

Agree. If the players thoughts are more on their ranking and who they would be playing instead of the game itself it can get in their heads on how good they are. That can change both their concentration and intensity in games they are playing. Finish the year on a high and win their remaining games. Go Bulls!!!!!

47 minutes ago, John said:

Harris is now struggling with the other parts of his game also. When was the last time you saw any pick and rolls with him to get open. Teams know where is game is now. If he has a three and takes it than so be it. But teams now are fronting him with pressure from one or two players and he has nowhere to drive. When was the last time you saw him inside the key and take little jumpers. just so hard to watch but praying for him to turn it around. But here we are talking about poor play and the team has only three losses. Go Bulls!!!!!

I agree. Teams are gonna start to sag off Harris and let him shoot rather than have him drive around them like he was able to do so well against Arizona last year. The last two games I feel his minutes have been down (someone fact check me) and against Akron he wasn’t on the court in crunch time. Last night I didn’t see him hustle for loose balls and I saw him rush shots and his body language was bad. Seems like it’s gotten to him mentally. If he isn’t gonna shoot well from deep he can contribute in other ways but if he gets defeated mentally and checks out then he is hurting his team. We still have time to get him going. Hopefully he steps up and gets some confidence back.

Is it possible for a shooter to be too deliberate? It looks like Harris is thinking “How do I do this?”. Then, ever so slowly, he aims and releases - another clanked shot. He can’t be as bad as he looks just now. Will he get it back? The added dimension ups the Bulls’ probability of going deep into the Tourney.

• Like 1