Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Toledo @ UB - 1/20/23 8:30pm - CBS SN

MuchMany

Barttorvik has us (#177) as underdogs by 2.2 while Vegas has it 5.5. Toledo (#87) is coming off a 90-75 home romp of Ohio. They boast the 9th best adj. offensive efficiency but the 293rd defense. It should be a track meet, as our 5th-quickest tempo meets their 19th, reflected in the 168 O/U.

I can't say I'm so confident in pulling out the win here, as our guys have struggled to take down better opponents. There is some hope though if we can share the ball and shoot it like we did against BG.

I will be there with six relatively rowdy buddies, hoping the crowd has some electricity on a Friday late night start. Go Bulls! 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Barttorvik has us (#177) as underdogs by 2.2 while Vegas has it 5.5. Toledo (#87) is coming off a 90-75 home romp of Ohio. They boast the 9th best adj. offensive efficiency but the 293rd defense. It should be a track meet, as our 5th-quickest tempo meets their 19th, reflected in the 168 O/U.

I can't say I'm so confident in pulling out the win here, as our guys have struggled to take down better opponents. There is some hope though if we can share the ball and shoot it like we did against BG.

I will be there with six relatively rowdy buddies, hoping the crowd has some electricity on a Friday late night start. Go Bulls! 

Hope you and your rowdy buddies are rewarded with a fun enjoyable win.  I will be catching it on cbs sports.  As for likelihood of the w...they have been slightly more deliberate at home which has translated in more assists, fewer turnovers and better shooting pct...maybe some reason for optimism tonight.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clodney said:

A win here would definitely keep the naysayers (myself included) quiet. Let’s hope for the best.

disclaimer: I had a rough week at work and cannot be held accountable for my in-game remarks.  

Sorry for the rough week, hoping both the rose colored glass folks and the naysayers alike enjoy a good game tonight.

My prediction is a loss tonight followed by 3 straight wins 

Think this team has learned how Mac play has been played but haven't played a top Mac team yet

They play them tonight, figure out the intensity and what they can and can't get away with them rebound with wins in the coming games 

Bulls rebound the ball with 31 seconds remaining in 1st half and can hold for last shot. Instead we take a rushed contested shot and miss with 25 seconds on clock. Toledo rebounds and calls a timeout. They run a good set and score as time expires. We are not a well coached team!!!!

6 minutes ago, Erie County said:

.500 Whitesell strikes again

He was quite literally out coached on a simple inbounds

14-7 run to end the last 7 minutes of the game

I would blame foster on that last out of bounds play, he played that terribly

He seems to really struggle against teams that have bigger guards and /or can switch defensively

Team was gassed at the end of the game, thought the smaller line up gave Toledo issues. Curious why a guy like Kanye Jones didn't get playing time to give Curtis/foster a break or why blocker didn't start playing sooner. Feel like having a more rested c.jones and foster on the offensive side of things would have been a huge benefit 

20 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

Sparse crowd and little interest on the boards on what should be a huge game for this team but the loyalists will never acknowledge this program is floundering.

Agreed. Hard to believe where this program was only 4 years ago and so pathetic that we are back to a middle of the pack mac team. It’s so sad to watch and I blame Allnutt. Hodgson was the guy to hire when the flame was hot, now we are a rebuilding story at best. People are not watching because it’s hard to watch this team knowing they not gonna get it done. 

UB was good tonight, but Toledo was better.  Toledo had to be, to win this one.  UB matched them pretty well statistically.  Toledo had this aggravating habit of hitting contested shots - you could hear the groans from the crowd.  The defense did their job, Toledo did theirs.  Toledo is a good team.  The Bulls moved the ball around well but paid for it when they made a mistake, as you do when you play a quality opponent.  I have zero problems with the level of effort the Bulls brought tonight.  Whitesell has been showing he'll call a timeout right away when something doesn't look right, he's not waiting for them to take another possession or two to figure it out.

Curtis - they did their homework, they were not giving him open looks outside.
Foster - can't hit from outside but drives to the net well.
Hardnett - it took years but he developed the combination of toughness and touch to be a really effective inside player at this level.  Did well at the line.
Jack - along with Hardnett, moves well inside and the guards are finding them in traffic.
Zid - he's confident.  And that works both ways.  Confident in that he'll score points, confident in that he'll use all five fouls.  Leaves it all out there.
Adams - hit more shots today

I wish UB marketed the heck out of this game - a Friday night game, national TV, quality opponent, Sabres weren't playing.  What more do you want.  

Toledo - in my younger days we would've been riding Kowalczyk all game.  "The pressure is on, Todd, you haven't won anything and your pink slip is already filled out, they just need to sign and date it."  They are definitely one of the top 3 teams in the MAC.  They rarely lost their cool tonight.  They had to be at their best to see this one out.

This was the first game of the season that my voice got hoarse from yelling.  I had fun tonight - I hope you did too.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

UB was good tonight, but Toledo was better.  Toledo had to be, to win this one.  UB matched them pretty well statistically.  Toledo had this aggravating habit of hitting contested shots - you could hear the groans from the crowd.  The defense did their job, Toledo did theirs.  Toledo is a good team.  The Bulls moved the ball around well but paid for it when they made a mistake, as you do when you play a quality opponent.  I have zero problems with the level of effort the Bulls brought tonight.  Whitesell has been showing he'll call a timeout right away when something doesn't look right, he's not waiting for them to take another possession or two to figure it out.

Curtis - they did their homework, they were not giving him open looks outside.
Foster - can't hit from outside but drives to the net well.
Hardnett - it took years but he developed the combination of toughness and touch to be a really effective inside player at this level.  Did well at the line.
Jack - along with Hardnett, moves well inside and the guards are finding them in traffic.
Zid - he's confident.  And that works both ways.  Confident in that he'll score points, confident in that he'll use all five fouls.  Leaves it all out there.
Adams - hit more shots today

I wish UB marketed the heck out of this game - a Friday night game, national TV, quality opponent, Sabres weren't playing.  What more do you want.  

Toledo - in my younger days we would've been riding Kowalczyk all game.  "The pressure is on, Todd, you haven't won anything and your pink slip is already filled out, they just need to sign and date it."  They are definitely one of the top 3 teams in the MAC.  They rarely lost their cool tonight.  They had to be at their best to see this one out.

This was the first game of the season that my voice got hoarse from yelling.  I had fun tonight - I hope you did too.

I admire and appreciate your positivity. 

• Like 1

Last year's team really frustrated me, because they reached the MAC final the year before and we saw what they were capable of.  And I felt like several guys weren't playing hard enough.  We saw their ceiling and you couldn't get more than that out of them.  This year, the situation is different, there's so much room for potential and growth and I'm heartened to see guys playing their hardest.  Zid had a play where he ran a Toledo guy down the court and forced it out of bounds.  Curtis drew two charges in the first half.  That's the kind of effort I want to cheer for.  There are games I'll be mad about (if they lost to a team like Northern like this, for instance) - today isn't one of them.

Edited by enrique14150
  • Like 2