Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Akron @ UB - 1/31/23 7:00 pm - ESPN+

Bluebird96

UB currently is a 1.5 Pt underdog, with over/under of 145.5.  ESPN.com’s Matchup Predictor gives UB a 58% chance to win.

FWIW, in games against the top 4 in the MAC, Akron is 0-1 with a 7-Pt loss @ Ball St. UB is 1-2.

In games vs common opponents (BSU, BG, NIU, Ohio, CMU & MOH), Akron is 5-1 with a +51 Pt differential while UB is 4-2 with +56.

Another big test, need to shoot and take care of the ball a whole lot better than Friday. Go Bulls! 🤘

Edited by Bluebird96
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

UB currently is a 1.5 Pt underdog, with over/under of 145.5.  ESPN.com’s Matchup Predictor gives UB a 58% chance to win.

FWIW, in games against the top 4 in the MAC, Akron is 0-1 with a 7-Pt loss @ Ball St. UB is 1-2.

In games vs common opponents (BSU, BG, NIU, Ohio, CMU & MOH), Akron is 5-1 with a +51 Pt differential while UB is 4-2 with +56.

Another big test, need to shoot and take care of the ball a whole lot better than Friday. Go Bulls! 🤘

Thanks for the summary. It is interesting that predictors would have UB be a slight favorite, but the actual spread has the Bulls as slight underdogs.  I hope UB proves their doubters wrong.

In four road games, Akron is 3-1.  Overall in these games Akron has struggled offensively.  However, they have been extremely good defensively.    As you said,  the Bulls need to shoot better this game and limit turnovers against what is sure to be a very aggressive d.

47 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Thanks for the summary. It is interesting that predictors would have UB be a slight favorite, but the actual spread has the Bulls as slight underdogs.  I hope UB proves their doubters wrong.

In four road games, Akron is 3-1.  Overall in these games Akron has struggled offensively.  However, they have been extremely good defensively.    As you said,  the Bulls need to shoot better this game and limit turnovers against what is sure to be a very aggressive d.

I think Curtis Jones will have a much better outing today, so that will hopefully make the difference. I expect a win tonight, let's see how it goes.

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

I think Curtis Jones will have a much better outing today, so that will hopefully make the difference. I expect a win tonight, let's see how it goes.

A telling offensive stat tonight will be the 3 pt shooting.  In four home games the Bulls have shot 40.2% from 3, while Akron has allowed opponents to shoot 35% from 3 while on the road.   If Jones and Adams lead the way from outside (especially early) that will bode well for prospects of a win.  

I will be right there along with you rooting for a win.

4 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Thanks for the summary. It is interesting that predictors would have UB be a slight favorite, but the actual spread has the Bulls as slight underdogs.

Spread is not based on relative team strengths, it varies up and down on betting patterns to try to provide the most profit to the bookies. I believe the ESPN approach is based more on the team's performance.

35 minutes ago, dj_paige said:

Spread is not based on relative team strengths, it varies up and down on betting patterns to try to provide the most profit to the bookies. I believe the ESPN approach is based more on the team's performance.

I get that the two views come from different perspectives / sources.   I was commenting that the bettors are giving the Bulls less credit than the bartorviks and kenpoms and that Ub has to go out there and prove them (the betting population) wrong.

Edited by DocCas86

1 hour ago, bullsbball said:

It could be implied the "tasting" is beer since Southern Tier Brewing will be there but for what I know, we'll be tasting water.  But, maybe it's a blood tasting since UB MD will be there. They could have made it more clear.

I prefer to look at it this way.  With Southern Tier Brewing being there and UBMD sponsoring the game, I see it that the Docs are trying to tell us that beer is good for us.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I get that the two views come from different perspectives / sources.   I was commenting that the bettors are giving the Bulls less credit than the bartorviks and kenpoms and that Ub has to go out there and prove them (the betting population) wrong.

Or it could be that more Akron fans are betting than UB fans. It's not necessarily a reflection of team strength.

13 minutes ago, dj_paige said:

Or it could be that more Akron fans are betting than UB fans. It's not necessarily a reflection of team strength.

Pretty unlikely given the relatively small betting market for these games. Sure, lots of action on a certain side could move the spread a half point or two. But the starting basis is still a projection of the game based on team strength. 

The spread is up to 2.5 now. About what should be expected based on each team’s performance thus far.  Akron won’t make it easy for sure.

Castaneda and Freeman are a tough 1-2 scoring punch and Freeman seems to have endless energy and wreaks havoc on the defensive end. Other than those 2, only 1 other Zip averages more than 9 ppg while UB has a more balanced attack with 5 players at 9+ ppg.  If the Bulls can shoot 40%+ from 3, 70% on FTs and get more fast break opportunities than vs Kent, they should be in good shape.