Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

6 Buffalo vs 3 Akron - 3/9/23 6:30 PM - ESPN+

Welp, this game kind of went how I thought it would. Was hoping we’d play them close but didn’t really believe we would. 

I’ve been really impressed with how hard Blocker has played tonight. Hasn’t given up on a single possession despite being down 30. Hope he gets more opportunities next year.

This season went exactly how most of us expected, looking back at the preseason poll thread. And went exactly how the MAC preseason poll expected it would. So I’m not shocked by the first round loss. But you hope that a team outperforms expectations.

I think the most shocking thing this year was the disparity between the top 3 teams and everyone else. I anticipated this team would at least be able to hang around with those teams. I was wrong.

Our best win was the first game of the year against a good Colgate team. That was our ceiling. And unfortunately for us, Toledo, Kent, and Akron are better than that ceiling.

I always thought this would be the year to properly evaluate Whitesell. Essentially no stragglers from Oats. My evaluation, his tenure has been mediocre. Not terrible but never exceeded expectations. Because of that, while I wasn’t for his firing prior to this season, I think it’s time for him to go. 

I think we as a fan base have tasted higher heights and want to get back there. And I just don’t think he’s the man to do it unfortunately. 

I’m excited to see what next happens next. Should be interesting! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tee4three said:

I don't know how you can, by that time ub would be a bottom feeder program where other suny schools could very well be considered a better program 

Maybe I am be being dramatic 

It’s impossible for any other SUNY school to be better…UB is NY’s Public Powerhouse. It says it right on the court!

Edited by 1975
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, 1975 said:

It’s impossible for any other SUNY school to be better…UB is NY’s Public Powerhouse. It says it right on the court!

Just think where we would be right now if we had somehow managed to keep the team in the top 50-100 the past 4 years given the mess happening in Syracuse. This was such a swing and a miss by the administration.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Funny we complained about the fouls. Look at the foul calls now. Pretty even. 

Of course the refs start evening out the fouls when the game is out of reach. I am tired of hearing the refs are just human. For all the supposed instruction and training they get they do not improve. Make these refs watch their games and point out all the terrible calls and non calls. For the most part the top teams usually get the calls. But the refs are just human!! Maybe we should try that in the private sector when we make mistakes!! I am not saying that is why our record is because of refs. It is just one of many factors of why we are a mediocre team. Will take the summer off to recharge the batteries and hope for some changes on this team.

9 hours ago, clodney said:

Just think where we would be right now if we had somehow managed to keep the team in the top 50-100 the past 4 years given the mess happening in Syracuse. This was such a swing and a miss by the administration.

I don't think the hire was incredibly bad initially, but the extension that Whitesell received was unwarranted 

• Like 3