Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

How do we get the Bills video board to UB Stadium?

rma

The Bills are getting a new stadium. In the current stadium, there are four large video boards:

• 33.5 foot by 164 foot video board, installed in 2014
  • 2x 33.5 foot by 60 foot video boards, also installed in 2014
  • 14.5-foot by 191.5-foot video board, installed in 2007

As of now, the Bills video board is one of the oldest in the NFL. The Cowboys (2009), Washington (2010, new boards being installed now), Jets/Giants (2010), Titans (2012), and Texans (2012) are the only teams that have an older scoreboard. The 49ers, Eagles, and Cardinals also had their displays installed in 2014. By the time the new stadium is finished in 2026, the old stadium's video board will be 12 years old and likely obsolete by NFL standards. There has not been an announcement as to what the video boards will be in the new stadium, but it's likely they won't be the existing ones.

The video board at UB Stadium is old enough to drive this fall, and is useful for seeing absolutely nothing. Attempting to watch a replay, which the 2007 video board was equipped to handle, is impossible and you would be better off pulling out your phone and watching ESPN+.

The state of New York gave a private university $20 million for stadium renovations, but nothing for us. However the Bills stadium is set to be given to the State of New York once the new stadium is built. How can we get these old video boards to Amherst? Tripathi is on the Board of Directors for the Erie County Stadium Corporation (PDF).

A rough render of what this would look like for the largest of the video boards. The shorter but longer one could be installed along one of the sidelines or in the 300's for out of town scores. The two smaller ones could be installed in the south end zone corners.

BkfdrPk.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaBulls99 said:

Typically the video board company buys them back to re-sell. It’s not like they just throw them in a dumpster. Now, what is the cost of the used boards and is it feasible? Who knows. But it’s worth a shot. 

I imagine there's a pretty significant restocking fee on a 150 foot TV that everyone would rather avoid by keeping it local. 😂 Kudos @rma for getting creative and proactive. 

It sounds like a joke but I'm entirely serious. The cost to ship it 30 minutes is probably expensive, but less than what it would cost to ship to Brookings or wherever Daktronics would store it. I also agree that the used board is probably worth something, but I think the cost of whatever video board UB would buy to replace the Zenith would be more than the residual value of the Bills video boards (located in Orchard Park) plus the cost to transport them 30 minutes north to UB.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was the one that mentioned that using CBA Community Benefits Agreement forcing PSE as part of the stadium deal to donate the old Buffalo Bills scoreboard. Along with some of the chair back seating so older UB Bulls fans with bad backs don’t have to sit on those uncomfortable mental bleachers. I am in a wheelchair so it never affected me but I heard a lot of complaints from UB fans that were old over the years that had to stand up for a while because of their back. UB Stadium is beyond time it needs so upgrades anyway they can get it.

Also when a new turf is needed if it was up to me which it isn’t. I would totally change UB turf for Lake Erie Blue Turf with a Black Bull Head at the 50 yard line. White UB at the 35 yard line four sides left and right. End zones Buffalo in white in Blue end zones with one Blue Bull Head in each end zone. Why the Lake Erie Blue turf we need to stand out from Buffalo Bills lite that isn’t going to work. It looks like Boise State? No it won’t because the blue is Lake Erie Blue like water like the Current UB Bulls blue football uniforms. Also I am open to black turf or white turf or a combination. Why do this? Because UB Stadium looks dreary on television. UB Stadium looks too much like a concrete cinder block. We need to lighten up UB Stadium the different color field turf will help. I also want Victor E Bull to have a mascot friend to replace Victorious Bull. I get the whole cow thing.

The mascot doesn’t have to be female or male it’s a mascot. I am leaning towards the Heritage UB Bulls logo making that a new UB mascot to join Victor E Bull. My nomination for a name is just “Wonderful” we can all laugh. Danny White carries on urban legend like “Bigfoot” in a new UB mascot. I think it’s pretty funny and I think people will find humor in that. Instead of the UB on the new mascots chest the new mascot can have NY. Then those UB alums can dream New York with the new UB mascot. If that happened I wouldn’t stop laughing and I will give UB a little extra money for that. I am having trouble finishing this post I am laughing so hard in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• 6 months later...

Here are the problem with UB Stadium renovations why not. It’s politics Rochester got $26 Million for there Red Wing Stadium renovations, Syracuse got money $25 million for there baseball stadium renovations along with money for the Syracuse Orange Dome. The problem for UB Stadium is that the State gave the Buffalo Bills $600 million dollars. Both the Buffalo Bisons and Buffalo Sabres want state money for upgrades. I think the Buffalo Bisons will get it because the stadium hasn’t been renovated since 1988 when the state helped build the stadium. The minors have minimal standards by MLB or you are dropped from organized baseball. The Buffalo Bisons have given lobbying money for a few years now. Then you got the Buffalo Sabres lease is up and Terry Pegula is just paying for the roof and a new Sabres scoreboard. The arena seats are falling apart the Sabres have the leverage and again they are already lobbying the state. It’s political because the state likes to spread the money around the state.

How is it going to look politically if they give UB Stadium money too the rest of the state would complain why is all the state money going to Buffalo. I don’t think UB Stadium gets any kind of major renovations until the 2030’s at earliest when the Buffalo professional teams are taken care of. UB and UB athletics needs to be smart about this forget UB Stadium it will be too far gone by the mid 2030’s. Think bigger and start lobbying now for a UB Waterfront Stadium in downtown Buffalo of 20,000 to 25,000 in a horse shoe style stadium with the open end overlooking the Buffalo Waterfront with boat access for tailgating. Make it a small stadium with stacked slope seating with good views close to the football field. UB should partner with a concert promoter so they can sell the state that the stadium is viable and not a money pit. Also when it opens in the mid to late 2030’s ask the MAC for no November home games. So UB Football home part of the schedule would be over by Halloween because of the cold and winds from Lake Erie potentially. So it means our November MAC action games are on the road yearly in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

8 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

a UB Waterfront Stadium in downtown Buffalo of 20,000 to 25,000 in a horse shoe style stadium with the open end overlooking the Buffalo Waterfront with boat access for tailgating. Make it a small stadium with stacked slope seating with good views close to the football field.

That will really draw people on a November night with a cold wind whipping in off of Lake Erie.  A new Mistake by the Lake.

8 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

ask the MAC for no November home games. So UB Football home part of the schedule would be over by Halloween because of the cold and winds from Lake Erie potentially. So it means our November MAC action games are on the road yearly in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

So you think you have an answer for the November weather issues.  What coach wants to finish a season with four straight road games when they would like a home crowd to cheer on the team in a crucial game for a division title or bowl eligibility?  Road games are a pain in the butt for support people from equipment to medical to ticketing.  Do you think they would want four straight road games?

21 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

That will really draw people on a November night with a cold wind whipping in off of Lake Erie.  A new Mistake by the Lake.

So you think you have an answer for the November weather issues.  What coach wants to finish a season with four straight road games when they would like a home crowd to cheer on the team in a crucial game for a division title or bowl eligibility?  Road games are a pain in the butt for support people from equipment to medical to ticketing.  Do you think they would want four straight road games?

Plus all these road games will be in crappy weather in other crappy states, so what are you gaining?

23 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

For the number of people who come to watch MACtion mid-week games, they should just play them in the Murchie Field House and fans could bring their own folding chairs.