Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

George Halcovage III the next UB Men's Basketball Coach

Jeseph

The process was rough, but getting a Jay Wright long-time assistant who has done everything for that program is a win in my book.  The guy will come here and know exactly what he needs and all aspects of every job.  I expect him to hit the ground running.

Go Bulls!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

I'm happy. 

LIke it a lot more than going after Jones, Calhoun, and Claunch. 

They got it right, at one time he was the top guy to replace Jay Wright. I always thought UB could be very similar to Nova.

How do you figure that? Philadelphia is a huge market that has NBA basketball that helps the basketball culture in the city of Philadelphia. City of Buffalo hasn’t had that since 1978 when the NBA Buffalo Braves moved to San Diego. City of Buffalo has a football culture because of the NFL Buffalo Bills which will always make UB Bulls football more popular in my opinion. Up Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

6 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

How do you figure that? Philadelphia is a huge market that has NBA basketball that helps the basketball culture in the city of Philadelphia. City of Buffalo hasn’t had that since 1978 when the NBA Buffalo Braves moved to San Diego. City of Buffalo has a football culture because of the NFL Buffalo Bills which will always make UB Bulls football more popular in my opinion. Up Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I always thought that if anything, Villanova was more the Augustinian little brother of Canisius College.

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

I tend to believe that Cohen was the main choice and turned it down. Then McCollum came in for a personal boost with little intention of signing. Calhoun probably had a brief conversation and Rob Jones probably the same. Don't think Saddi Washington or Kenya Hunter were involved. Halcovage likely came in after Cohen and McCollum and was involved from then on. 

Per usual, I believe u r correct 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

Basketball wise, Philadelphia is a college town.  It has one of the great, if not the greatest local "conference" in the Big 5.  College games at the Palestra is to college basketball what college football games are to Miche Stadium or Notre Dame Stadium.

NBA market? They lost the Warriors and now have a Syracuse reject in town.

7 minutes ago, UB92 said:

The process was rough, but getting a Jay Wright long-time assistant who has done everything for that program is a win in my book.  The guy will come here and know exactly what he needs and all aspects of every job.  I expect him to hit the ground running.

Go Bulls!

It’s a solid hire but it doesn’t guarantee he will make the transition of number 2 assist coach to number 1 head coach smoothly. I say this with caution because the last time a Villanova assistant was hired ironically was my former boss when I was in college. Villanova won a National Championship in a upset of Georgetown a year before Marty Marbach was hired by the Canisius Golden Griffins the top assistant coach for Villanova. A great guy but he couldn’t make the transition from assistant coach to head coach at Canisius College. Before the UB alums post nonsense well that was Canisius College.

Canisius College wasn’t present Canisius College basketball back then they played most of their games at Buffalo Memorial Auditorium and had a bigger Griffs fan base than UB Bulls have now currently. I don’t care about 200,000 UB alums in Buffalo. I am talking actual Buffalo fans in the seats. This was before where there were no Buffalo Bandits yet in Buffalo there was no UB Bulls at the Division I level. I will reserve judgement until I see George Halcovage coaching it won’t take long for me because I know what I am watching. You will know 1/3 into the first season if George Halcovage is going to make it as a head coach or not at UB. I don’t have any doubts George Halcovage can recruit Marty Marbach could recruit. It’s can a coach put the pieces together to win each season that is what coaching is all about. Good coaches can put the pieces together and it doesn’t take years that is just excuse making in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I certainly hope, but don't expect ADMA to explain how we arrived here. What a horrible couple of weeks. Not sure how Coach Halcovage will do. I know almost nothing about him or how similar or different the offense will look compared to the Jay Wight coached teams. On paper, there are lots of reasons for optimism and for concern. For now, I'll celebrate!

8 minutes ago, Chet said:

I certainly hope, but don't expect ADMA to explain how we arrived here. What a horrible couple of weeks. Not sure how Coach Halcovage will do. I know almost nothing about him or how similar or different the offense will look compared to the Jay Wight coached teams. On paper, there are lots of reasons for optimism and for concern. For now, I'll celebrate!

I'm with you. Going to enjoy this and dream big for now, while also hoping to learn a bit more about the inner workings of the process that just went down (unlikely). Very interested to see Coach Halco build out his staff and of course (re-)add players to the roster. In the meantime, pretty cool to know what our guy was up to seven years ago nearly to the day...

image.png.fcb392c5f47e45ca7b9a514584d34aee.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7FFJUz0tdo

Edited by MuchMany
math

3 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Basketball wise, Philadelphia is a college town.  It has one of the great, if not the greatest local "conference" in the Big 5.  College games at the Palestra is to college basketball what college football games are to Miche Stadium or Notre Dame Stadium.

NBA market? They lost the Warriors and now have a Syracuse reject in town.

Your missing the point as usual Buffalo doesn’t have basketball culture the NBA has programs that get young people involved in basketball. We don’t have that like football does with the NFL. UB Bulls basketball supporters gloss over that but shouldn’t be discounted. Buffalo was once a college basketball town before the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bills. UB Bulls could spend a $5 billion dollars and I am not sure Buffalo is ever going to be Philadelphia because there is no basketball culture or college sports culture here anymore. There is no NBA cares for the youth in Buffalo. This is a Buffalo Bills football town then everything else. Think about it Buffalo had college basketball way before UB entered the picture again. St Bonaventure Bonnies is the highest basketball Western New York has. The Bonnies, Purple Eagles and the Griffs have tried and tried. The Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres and the Buffalo Bandits are too strong. Short of winning a National Championship college sports are never going to be very popular here anymore. If it hasn’t happened since the 1970’s doubt it’s happening now.

Buffalo Bulls can hire who ever it’s just not going to happen here unfortunately. I never bought the UB Bulls is a young program or there lack of heritage the other three Big 4 schools have heritage over the Buffalo Bandits by 70 years and it makes no difference. Yes Buffalo once was a college basketball town with double the population unfortunately gone. Professional sports and minor professional sports will always be more successful in a city like Buffalo because they can give Buffalo fans instant gratification with firing a coach or trading a player. College sports are different unless you are Alabama or USC where you are big and you can fire coaches or ask a player to think about transferring it’s tough to be UB because your stuck with honoring commitments and doesn’t want to offer NIL in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls

6 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

You will know 1/3 into the first season if George Halcovage is going to make it as a head coach or not at UB.

My guess is that you will call for him to be fired 1-3 games into the season, like every other UB coach.

Edited by BrooklynBull
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

We have a coach. That was a sh!tshow.  I will say I am an optimist overall and sometime the best trades in sports are the ones you don't make.  Time will tell on paper this looks very good. I do want to go on record that.

1. This is the best coach we have ever had.

2. I know this coach would never work out and it was a joke from the beginning.

3. He was just what the Buffalo community needed to rally around our team.

4. He never became part of the environment around UB and distanced the team from its fans.

In 4 years when he's gone due to a better job or fired for not doing well, I can tell everyone I told you so.

Edited by CheerUB80/84
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, CheerUB80/84 said:

We have a coach. That was a sh!tshow.  I will say I am an optimist overall and sometime the best trades in sports are the ones you don't make.  Time will tell on paper this looks very good. I do want to go on record that.

1. This is the best coach we have ever had.

2. I know this coach would never work out and it was a joke from the beginning.

3. He was just what the Buffalo community needed to rally around our team.

4. He never became part of the environment around UB and distanced the team from its fans.

In 4 years when he's gone due to a better job or fired for no doing well, I can tell everyone I told you so.

Looks like you have all aspects covered here. Well done.

Jay wright still on cbs coverage of the final four? Maybe gives UB a shout out and some air time

Something that tells me a lot about the new coach is Jalen brunson taking time to congratulate him, that's big and at least shows you the person he is and the impact he has made on his student athletes

You see players rep their school and maybe head coach once they are in the nba, seems rare to rep an assistant getting a shot at a head coach opportunity 

Edited by Tee4three
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, C1ubP1fanaticM7 said:

Not the best spot for this, but have you all seen how well CUSA has performed this postseason? Quite remarkable. Charlotte won the CBI. UNT faced UAB in the NIT finals, UNT winning. And FAU is in final 4. I mean, what a showing by a mid major conference! 

P7

• Like 1