Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Lloyd McVeigh

Welcome Lloyd. He could be positioned to land our first local big money NIL deal (as long as he likes tacos).

One scholarship left...we need a PG, no? Rolling with Sabol and Fulcher into the teeth of the MAC would leave me uneasy. And as much as I like our assortment of wing talent, I'd worry we won't get their best without steady PG play.

McVeigh will be 20 in November, so not your average freshman. His older brother Jack is a well-regarded pro in the Australia and in Germany.

Edited by MuchMany

I’m unfamiliar with the NBL but he put up really strong numbers there. Seemed like he was also playing against men a lot older than him. We still have one more open scholarship to fill the PG spot, Hal has said he’d like to play positionless so maybe one of the other freshman can develop there as well

Just now, Dabulls said:

I’m unfamiliar with the NBL but he put up really strong numbers there. Seemed like he was also playing against men a lot older than him. We still have one more open scholarship to fill the PG spot, Hal has said he’d like to play positionless so maybe one of the other freshman can develop there as well

Boldin played some PG at IMG, would transition to SG as well

1 hour ago, Dabulls said:

The NBL is a weird league in Australia.  It runs professional teams and amateur teams with some mixing allowed.  It is how Stephanie Reid found Georgia Wooley for Coach Jack.

8 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Welcome Lloyd. He could be positioned to land our first local big money NIL deal (as long as he likes tacos).

One scholarship left...we need a PG, no? Rolling with Sabol and Fulcher into the teeth of the MAC would leave me uneasy. And as much as I like our assortment of wing talent, I'd worry we won't get their best without steady PG play.

McVeigh will be 20 in November, so not your average freshman. His older brother Jack is a well-regarded pro in the Australia and in Germany.

1 hour ago, Dabulls said:

Not 100% sure this is proper place to post - but I did some 'comps' for Fulcher.  Here is my best guess for his production.  How I would characterize the numbers would be a notch below Segu's sophomore season except for turnovers, where I expect much higher turnovers from Fulcher as he is making the transition from JUCO to D1.  I think it would be nice to get a veteran (Grad transfer) PG with the last spot.  Feel free to interpret differently.

image.png.7c36a357b3421bed0bfcf45712c92489.png

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dabulls said:

The NBL is Australia's professional league. McVeigh hasn't played in the NBL. He played in the NBL1, which is the second division of Australian hoops. It is a semi-pro feeder league broken into five regional/state conferences. 

3 hours ago, Dabulls said:

Boldin played some PG at IMG, would transition to SG as well

I haven't seen enough handles on video from Boldin to believe he can actually run D1 point, at least not as a freshman. I'm all for positionless concepts, but the MAC is known for strong PG play these days and having one is necessary to compete imo. 

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Not 100% sure this is proper place to post - but I did some 'comps' for Fulcher.  Here is my best guess for his production.  How I would characterize the numbers would be a notch below Segu's sophomore season except for turnovers, where I expect much higher turnovers from Fulcher as he is making the transition from JUCO to D1.  I think it would be nice to get a veteran (Grad transfer) PG with the last spot.  Feel free to interpret differently.

image.png.7c36a357b3421bed0bfcf45712c92489.png

Thanks for putting this together. If Fulcher puts up 5.5 PTS, 1.7 AST, 2.0 TO in 20 MPG running with the starters, it's going to be an uncomfortable year imo.

Also, Sophomore Rondo had Davonta, Graves, even Antwain as backcourt mates. That's a lot of veteran quality to shield a young gun.

Hopefully the last scholarship is a veteran PG. I like that we went the international route for McVeigh. I hope we do it more in the future and perhaps that's where we'll find our final piece. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MuchMany said:

The NBL is Australia's professional league. McVeigh hasn't played in the NBL. He played in the NBL1, which is the second division of Australian hoops. It is a semi-pro feeder league broken into five regional/state conferences. 

I haven't seen enough handles on video from Boldin to believe he can actually run D1 point, at least not as a freshman. I'm all for positionless concepts, but the MAC is known for strong PG play these days and having one is necessary to compete imo. 

Thanks for putting this together. If Fulcher puts up 5.5 PTS, 1.7 AST, 2.0 TO in 20 MPG running with the starters, it's going to be an uncomfortable year imo.

Also, Sophomore Rondo had Davonta, Graves, even Antwain as backcourt mates. That's a lot of veteran quality to shield a young gun.

Hopefully the last scholarship is a veteran PG. I like that we went the international route for McVeigh. I hope we do it more in the future and perhaps that's where we'll find our final piece. 

I agree that a veteran PG would be ideal for last scholarship.  Excellent point about experience surrounding Segu.  I would be content with those numbers from Fulcher if he is coming in from the bench.

Edit:  I would actually like to see ~1 TOV if Fulcher is playing 20 minutes, and a little higher 3pt %.

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, capencaper said:

To my untrained eye it looks like he's playing against not-so-great opponents in a lot of those highlights. We'll see!

I think your eyes and Masseys evaluation of Ellsworth opponents are aligned.  They did not play the toughest schedule, but in seven games against teams ranked 50-70 (the best competition), he did have 29.1 MPG, 15.4 PPG, and 3.1 assists.  The numbers that I am concerned with are 3.0 turnovers and only 23% from three in those same games.  As you said, we shall see.  As others have stated - believe that for this season, better to bring in a veteran PG so he has time to grow into the role.

image.png.1583c8cdd8fc9488b084c03d30fcae4e.png

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 2