Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

NIL and it's relation to wins

Chet

56 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

With probably around 200 student athletes, how does this money get to them? Does (say) half of one percent of your donation go to each athlete?

Does anyone think the people working for the collective are working for free? No one has said either way and it’s not on the faq. 

Edited by TheCommish

Blueprint Sports (BPS), the industry leader in full-service name, image, and likeness (NIL) collectives, proudly announced today the launch of  Nickel City Collective, an NIL Collective supporting all University at Buffalo student-athletes.

Does this mean there are 2 layers of administration of this money?

Nickel City Collective Board members;  Shaena KershnerPaul CirielloJoe KreuzKarl Fischer, and Tim Hedges

Looks like this is a St. Bonaventure Business instructor (with a misspelling of her title on the school's official web site), a venture capitalist, a business consultant, a chemist (?), and a lawyer. 

Would seem like a bunch of people that would want to take some of that donation money.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

Does this mean there are 2 layers of administration of this money?

Looks like this is a St. Bonaventure Business instructor (with a misspelling of her title on the school's official web site), a venture capitalist, a business consultant, a chemist (?), and a lawyer. 

Would seem like a bunch of people that would want to take some of that donation money.

Most of them have degrees from UB. So yes the Bonaventure tie looks off putting but she holds a marketing degree from UB. Hedges is a graduate and played football. So they aren’t random nobodies.

2 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Does anyone think the people working for the collective are working for free? No one has said either way and it’s not on the faq. 

All five of the directors are doing the work for the collective for free.  They are donating their time and effort.  There is no need to wait for the 990 to check for salaries.

Three of the five are former UB athletes.

So when can they expect your contribution?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

So when can they expect your contribution?

When you tell me how the money is distributed to the athletes. 

Call me "old school", but I'm already donating money to the Blue and White club (and purchasing season tickets). Why should I be donating money to the players as well?

Sorry, but all NIL and the new transfer rules do is causes players to follow the money and create no "brand loyalty". 

If I could "donate" money to player and in return get a guarantee they will be good and stay 4 years, I'll do that in a heartbeat.

Edited by bullsbball
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

When you tell me how the money is distributed to the athletes. 

Call me "old school", but I'm already donating money to the Blue and White club (and purchasing season tickets). Why should I be donating money to the players as well?

Sorry, but all NIL and the new transfer rules do is causes players to follow the money and create no "brand loyalty". 

If I could "donate" money to player and in return get a guarantee they will stay 4 years, I'll do that in a heartbeat.

I understand your position.

How the NIL money is spent depends on where it is donated to.   I believe it works as follows; if you make the tax deductible donation, it will go to athletes who help out at non-profits.  If you donate to the corporate side, the money will go to an athlete who reaches some sort of endorsement arrangement with the corporate donor.

The question was not directed at you or to posters in general.  It was directed at TheCommish, who was complaining about a lack of a NIL collective and wanted to set one up working with other people.  But then as soon as an "official" UB NIL collective is set up he is complaining about it and looking for reasons to not donate to it.

19 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

My crew at Trainwreck Sports is already getting involved with supporting UB athletics through NIL.

Hm, train wreck, sure they don’t want to invest in MBB?

6 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

I’m not down on the collective, I’m down on the decision makers running the athletic department. This is just another avenue for Alnutt and co. to light UB supporters money on fire. Last year I paid $275 per season ticket per home win and I’m supposed to be fired up about a monthly subscription to increase that?

If the collective opens an avenue to support for the next coach that comes in I’d sign up. The 13 scholarships are filled and none of them had other D1 scholarship offers, much less NIL offers. Donating money this year (for MBB) is going towards a bidding war that no other D1 schools are participating in

My point was you have no idea if any of the current MBB signed guys are getting a nickel. Maybe AJ Boldin is? Maybe a Chellia is? Maybe Red Murdock is? Don’t make assumptions without getting good info (which I obviously don’t have either). 

18 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

My point was you have no idea if any of the current MBB signed guys are getting a nickel. Maybe AJ Boldin is? Maybe a Chellia is? Maybe Red Murdock is? Don’t make assumptions without getting good info (which I obviously don’t have either). 

I'm not making assumptions? Wouldn't making assumptions be throwing money at a group that just popped up thinking that it will be worth my money when no plan for anything has been announced?

I'm not assuming anything. I'm not giving the program any money (including season tix) until the coach is gone or he has us contending for the MAC. That is the opposite of assuming. Going forward I will be reacting to how the program/department performs because Halcovage and Alnutt have not earned the benefit of the doubt (assumptions).

The fact that Boldin was cited as a player that would be worth spending the money on shows what a joke this even is. He was a 7 PPG scorer on a 3 win team, and he's the son of a multi-millionaire. Paying some of the guys on the roster to enter the portal and open up a scholarship would be a better use of the money.

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bullsbball said:

If I could "donate" money to player and in return get a guarantee they will be good and stay 4 years, I'll do that in a heartbeat.

I believe this is the next step in the evolution. A step that will curtail the portal hopping. The ROI on money spent by collectives isn’t good right now when player X is only at a school for one year and that team fails to make a run. I think collectives will get smarter and player contracts will become a thing. 

Just had a great conversation w/Logan regarding BPS Foundations and Nickle City Collective partnership in general and donating stock in particular. Attached is a one pager on the tax-deductible options. Alnutt catches grief justifiably so but  for this NIL partnership w/BPS Foundations he should not. This give individuals and corporate sponsors a legal means to make tax-deductible donations. Like it or hate it NIL is here to stay. UMASS is coming with a very well functioning NIL program with talented players recruited to win MAC championships period. UB coaches have to adapt, every year is going to be a net new roster. WBB Burke lost all the staff form year one subsequently lost her first recruiting class got a new recruiting class then went on finish runner up in the MAC championship game year 2.  I hope MBB GH and Lembo have a similar story the got to have the players to be competitive.   

NickelCity_BPS Foundation Instructions.pdf

1 hour ago, DaBulls99 said:

Exactly. 

until I see the 990 and the distribution, you won’t see a dollar.

would anyone contribute to the team last year? Well, this year, we got the same team but will be on paper worse. If I donate to the NIL, will the money go towards a 4 or 5 that we need and still haven’t landed.

Mbb needs a million to sniff the top 100. I was told when I tried to get others to start one, that we didn’t have the base.

1 hour ago, TheCommish said:

Exactly. 

would anyone contribute to the team last year? Well, this year, we got the same team but will be on paper worse. If I donate to the NIL, will the money go towards a 4 or 5 that we need and still haven’t landed.

Mbb needs a million to sniff the top 100. I was told when I tried to get others to start one, that we didn’t have the base.

Since it’s MBB, WBB and Football, would you contribute to any?

3 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Yes.  I gave on UB Giving Day last year and last week (to men's basketball and every other team) and to the collective its on opening day at the Hall of Fame level, on a monthly basis, to increase the amount over a one time payment for that level.

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

Since it’s MBB, WBB and Football, would you contribute to any?

Look at the website, it for all sports.

3 hours ago, TheCommish said:

You were going to try to set up a collective and I believe were going to donate to it.  You asked me for money and I said I would donate if you set one up, without any questions as to what the 990 would show.  The first 990 will not have to be filed until possibly as late as September of 2025.  That will mean your money, if you ever donate will not be available for NIL purposes until almost all of the recruiting for freshmen and transfers for the fall of 2026 is done.  For someone who wanted to set up a collective, your wallet appears to be very very tight.

People are either part of the solution or part of the problem.  They are either working for the goal or against it. I will let others figure out what side you are on.

I have known two of the five board members for years.  They are in it because they bleed blue and white and not for any glory or money.  They and I want UB Athletics to succeed and we have all stepped up to the plate.

You have to trust people sometimes.  So step up and donate or stop complaining that there is no NIL money or money for the programs to spend on needs to make UB more attractive to freshmen and transfers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Yes.  I gave on UB Giving Day last year and last week (to men's basketball and every other team) and to the collective its on opening day at the Hall of Fame level, on a monthly basis, to increase the amount over a one time payment for that level.

You were going to try to set up a collective and I believe were going to donate to it.  You asked me for money and I said I would donate if you set one up, without any questions as to what the 990 would show.  The first 990 will not have to be filed until possibly as late as September of 2025.  That will mean your money, if you ever donate will not be available for NIL purposes until almost all of the recruiting for freshmen and transfers for the fall of 2026 is done.  For someone who wanted to set up a collective, your wallet appears to be very very tight.

People are either part of the solution or part of the problem.  They are either working for the goal or against it. I will let others figure out what side you are on.

I have known two of the five board members for years.  They are in it because they bleed blue and white and not for any glory or money.  They and I want UB Athletics to succeed and we have all stepped up to the plate.

You have to trust people sometimes.  So step up and donate or stop complaining that there is no NIL money or money for the programs to spend on needs to make UB more attractive to freshmen and transfers.

I already gave to every sport and am HOF as well, my point was the NIL isn’t just basketball, it is everything, so if you don’t like the MBB coach to not give at all doesn’t make a lot of sense. Bitching about not having a collective then bitching about the collective 2 days later seems to me that some people just like to bitch. I’m not a Bills fan, but a lot of Bills fans are happier being miserable so that is the local fan base. Even when Oats was here it wasn’t like people were lining the streets in Bulls gear, they are still Bills and Sabers fans first and foremost. It’s only after Oats left people lament the glory days. I’m a Bulls fan, win lose or draw and will support them. If others only want to support in the good times, so be it!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I already gave to every sport and am HOF as well, my point was the NIL isn’t just basketball, it is everything, so if you don’t like the MBB coach to not give at all doesn’t make a lot of sense. Bitching about not having a collective then bitching about the collective 2 days later seems to me that some people just like to bitch. I’m not a Bills fan, but a lot of Bills fans are happier being miserable so that is the local fan base. Even when Oats was here it wasn’t like people were lining the streets in Bulls gear, they are still Bills and Sabers fans first and foremost. It’s only after Oats left people lament the glory days. I’m a Bulls fan, win lose or draw and will support them. If others only want to support in the good times, so be it!

Great post

5 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

There's no point in pouring money into a sinking ship. GHIII is a lousy coach, that will have under 10 wins in 2 years. 

Who picked these people to lead?

Who makes the decision to let them go if they're not brining in the money? Someone controls the board. Alnutt? Foundation?

On 4/26/2024 at 8:50 AM, TheCommish said:

Depends how much work is involved.  I could see a few hours a week or month being donated if that's all it takes.

15 hours ago, UBinMD said:

You nailed it. 😅  It's the worst part about Buffalo. The commitment to negativity.

22 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Depends how much work is involved.  I could see a few hours a week or month being donated if that's all it takes.

So almost every good collective has paid positions. Almost all. We're expecting 4 volunteers with online store to fundraise

$200k for MBB

$100k for WBB

$500k for FB

By the way, these are all bottom line numbers for MAC championship. To compete vs MWC, Sun Belt. We need to be at $2 million for FB and $1 million for MBB, $200k for WBB. The goal at minimum should be $800k but really needs to be near $3.2m annually. 

Edited by TheCommish

2 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

So almost every good collective has paid positions. Almost all. We're expecting 4 volunteers with online store to fundraise

$200k for MBB

$100k for WBB

$500k for FB

By the way, these are all bottom line numbers for MAC championship. To compete vs MWC, Sun Belt. We need to be $2 million for FB and $1 million for MBB, $200k for WBB. The goal at minimum should be $800k but really needs to be near $3.2m annually. 

I don't know what would be involved. Is just promoting the NIL enough to raise funds? Do you see a "sales guy or gal" calling on business?