Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

NIL and it's relation to wins

Chet

16 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I already gave to every sport and am HOF as well, my point was the NIL isn’t just basketball, it is everything, so if you don’t like the MBB coach to not give at all doesn’t make a lot of sense. Bitching about not having a collective then bitching about the collective 2 days later seems to me that some people just like to bitch. I’m not a Bills fan, but a lot of Bills fans are happier being miserable so that is the local fan base. Even when Oats was here it wasn’t like people were lining the streets in Bulls gear, they are still Bills and Sabers fans first and foremost. It’s only after Oats left people lament the glory days. I’m a Bulls fan, win lose or draw and will support them. If others only want to support in the good times, so be it!

But I'm not interested in helping WBB, Tennis, or FB. I'm an Buffalo Bulls MBB fan. My intention was to help MBB because I know the requirements needed to succeed. I'm working on a few things if people allow me to post without providing sources.

Do you guys think coaches are already hinting at NIL deals in recruiting? Like, is the FB staff subtly mentioning "NIL money's available for 2025 transfers" or is it more for keeping our current players happy? Curious to hear your thoughts.

My guess is they have 218 days to come up with $250k to retain the current roster.

9 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I don't know what would be involved. Is just promoting the NIL enough to raise funds? Do you see a "sales guy or gal" calling on business?

• You need the fundraise, not everyone is on this forum. You're also competing vs athletic department because you're going after the same sponsors or should be plus new ones. 
  • Check out: https://bethedifferencenil.org/
    • Multiple former players, full-time jobs
  • If we're relying on the build it and they will come, fold it, waste of time.

34 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

Do you guys think coaches are already hinting at NIL deals in recruiting? Like, is the FB staff subtly mentioning "NIL money's available for 2025 transfers" or is it more for keeping our current players happy? Curious to hear your thoughts.

My guess is they have 218 days to come up with $250k to retain the current roster.

It’s both. And everything all at once. It’s money to bring in freshmen, transfers and to retain a player who would be worth it. This collective is about establishing not only money and donors but establishing connections with, for example, businesses in the Buffalo area that want a UB athlete to be their pitch person. It’s everything. It is in its infancy at UB, long way to go no doubt, but finally at least we got something. Now let’s get more. More donors. More money. And heck if you just wanna contribute to MBB that’s awesome. I agree money donated should go into a collective pot unless specified that this is for MBB. And one final thing, of course having a collective is used as a weapon in recruiting. 100%

Edited by DooleyBull06

On 4/26/2024 at 8:21 AM, BrooklynBull said:

She is an adjunct professor.  She is not an employee of St. Bonaventure.

So she receives a 1099-NEC from St Bonaventure every year? 

On 4/26/2024 at 8:55 AM, BrooklynBull said:

All five of the directors are doing the work for the collective for free.  They are donating their time and effort.  There is no need to wait for the 990 to check for salaries.

You expect someone to provide the level of service of a full-time employee and expect same results from a volunteer? You realize schools have full-time employee doing NIL work. 

6 hours ago, TheCommish said:

$200k for MBB

$100k for WBB

$500k for FB

By the way, these are all bottom line numbers for MAC championship.

Any idea how much Akron, Kent State, and Miami raised for their collectives? Miami really intrigues me since they had the Lou Groza Award winner on their team. They must have been pushing a million plus to get their MAC Championship!

3 hours ago, rma said:

Any idea how much Akron, Kent State, and Miami raised for their collectives? Miami really intrigues me since they had the Lou Groza Award winner on their team. They must have been pushing a million plus to get their MAC Championship!

I can't find Akron's or Miami's #. Toledo and Western Michigan was near a million. 

1 hour ago, TheCommish said:

I can't find Akron's or Miami's #. Toledo and Western Michigan was near a million. 

Do you links for the Toledo number?

Night one of the NFL draft when their corner back was drafted in the first, they mentioned how he had offers to leave Toledo for major money but stayed at Toledo for nothing because he thought it was best for his development 

18 hours ago, TheCommish said:

So she receives a 1099-NEC from St Bonaventure every year? 

You expect someone to provide the level of service of a full-time employee and expect same results from a volunteer? You realize schools have full-time employee doing NIL work. 

So basically, from your post announcement posts,  it appears as if you will only donate to a collective that has your wishes at stake and will allocate the funds in a way that you deem to be appropriate.

Before you open your wallet to your self controlled collective let me know so that I can protect my clothing by buying mothballs first.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

So basically, from your post announcement posts,  it appears as if you will only donate to a collective that has your wishes at stake and will allocate the funds in a way that you deem to be appropriate.

Before you open your wallet to your self controlled collective let me know so that I can protect my clothing by buying mothballs first.

So, just to clarify, donors to UB don't have any influence over how their money is used?

I’ll wait for you to answer the basic questions, you keep skipping over.

You expect someone to provide the level of service of a full-time employee and expect same results from a volunteer?

So she receives a 1099-NEC from St Bonaventure every year? 

Who picked these people to lead?

Who makes the decision to let them go if they're not brining in the money?

Someone controls the board. Alnutt? Foundation?

Edited by TheCommish

2 hours ago, TheCommish said:

So, just to clarify, donors to UB don't have any influence over how their money is used?

A donor to UB or any other charity has the right to designate how the donation is used.  If you want money used for a particular sport or academic unit, that is how the money is to be spent.  One of my early donations to UB was to fund a device to be used to safely remove an injured football player from the field.  The money was held for that purpose, for years, until I told them they could use the money for anything else with football.

Therefore, you could limit your donation to people on the men's basketball team.

You expect someone to provide the level of service of a full-time employee and expect same results from a volunteer?

Depending on the level of work required, there is no reason why a volunteer cannot do all that is necessary.  Much of the background work is done by Blue Print Sports. https://www.blueprintsports.com/client-services

I would assume that St. Bonaventure would comply with the Internal Revenue Code.  Adjuncts do not make that much money. A believe that a 1099 does not have to be filed if the money paid is under $600.00

Ask them.  I can tell you that the two former football players are both very involved in donating to and working with Athletics and have been for years.

Who makes the decision to let them go if they're not brining [sic] in the money?

Ask them.

Since the corporation is not affiliated with UB I doubt it is controlled by Alnutt or the Foundation, ask them.

To contact the collective to answer your questions try this link: https://nickelcitynil.com/pages/faq-contact

Edited by BrooklynBull
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

A donor to UB or any other charity has the right to designate how the donation is used.  If you want money used for a particular sport or academic unit, that is how the money is to be spent.  One of my early donations to UB was to fund a device to be used to safely remove an injured football player from the field.  The money was held for that purpose, for years, until I told them they could use the money for anything else with football.

Therefore, you could limit your donation to people on the men's basketball team.

Depending on the level of work required, there is no reason why a volunteer cannot do all that is necessary.  Much of the background work is done by Blue Print Sports. https://www.blueprintsports.com/client-services

I would assume that St. Bonaventure would comply with the Internal Revenue Code.  Adjuncts do not make that much money. A believe that a 1099 does not have to be filed if the money paid is under $600.00

Ask them.  I can tell you that the two former football players are both very involved in donating to and working with Athletics and have been for years.

Ask them.

Since the corporation is not affiliated with UB I doubt it is controlled by Alnutt or the Foundation, ask them.

To contact the collective to answer your questions try this link: https://nickelcitynil.com/pages/faq-contact

You’re awesome at PR. You know a lot more than you’re letting on. You should be a politician.

Edit: I’ll get some info and respond 

Edited by TheCommish

You’re awesome at PR. You know a lot more than you’re letting on. You should be a politician.

I did not post any PR.  It was answers to the simplistic questions that you asked.

I know no more about the collective than what is in the announcement and on the website, other that finding out that the Board members are not being paid.  My source for that are the members that I know.

22 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

I did not post any PR.  It was answers to the simplistic questions that you asked.

I know no more about the collective than what is in the announcement and on the website, other that finding out that the Board members are not being paid.  My source for that are the members that I know.

Save your breath. Focus on those that want to be part of the solutions. There are plenty of people ready to poke holes in those of us that want  to try to Move these sports forward.

no collective = Buffalo sucks and they are falling behind. Also make sure to attack the admin for doing nothing to advance NIL even though they are independent entities

collective setup = attack those volunteers willing to administer it, also attack the administration for having undue influence. Also, make sure you bitch about who gets or doesn’t get money from said collective 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tee4three said:

Any idea on when merch will be available? And what they mean by merch

No idea when available but probably tees, hats, polos and sweatshirts to start with the collective logo. I would assume part of the cost would go to the collective 

2 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Any idea on when merch will be available? And what they mean by merch

Merch is on the website. Looks like it’s only available based on what subscription you purchase. I’m sure there will be more later on. 

On 4/28/2024 at 10:28 AM, TheCommish said:

I’ll wait for you to answer the basic questions, you keep skipping over.

Who makes the decision to let them go if they're not brining in the money?

The great thing about NIL is you can hand an athlete an envelope full of cash and its legal. You don't need to give money to a collective 

I assume most collectives are volunteer the boards are a group of moderately wealthy people.  Beside do we want to take money out of athletes pockets to pay someone money to run an NIL? How would we all feel if the NIL raised 200k and gave 150k to the people running it?

The board of the collective makes the choices. After all it is its own entity outside the scope of the school. With while strong ties. They are lose and must be kept at arms reach. 

A school can't have any direct control over a NIL. They can use influence and some politics to get their vision across. But we are not big enough nor are their multiple collectives to negotiate with. 

The Nickel City Collective will be able to put the money to whomever they see fit while I assume with recommendations from UB athletics. Although they can chose not to listen at all without any real repercussions. 

On 4/28/2024 at 2:51 PM, TheCommish said:

While you are looking for more information, you do know that NIL money does not have to go through a collective.  You could sign a player to an endorsement deal directly.  You do not think that State Farm went through a collective when they signed the deal with Caitlin Clark, do you?

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

While you are looking for more information, you do know that NIL money does not have to go through a collective.  You could sign a player to an endorsement deal directly.  You do not think that State Farm went through a collective when they signed the deal with Caitlin Clark, do you?

This. No prohibits players from going on and getting their own endorsements. Most players have NIL agents. The ideal situation is when collectives and local business come together and work deals and have deals at the ready for players.

10 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

This. No prohibits players from going on and getting their own endorsements. Most players have NIL agents. The ideal situation is when collectives and local business come together and work deals and have deals at the ready for players.

I mentioned this as well.

There is nothing about any of us from stuffing a envelope full of cash and giving to to a player, for pretty much any reason.

53 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

I mentioned this as well.

There is nothing about any of us from stuffing an envelope full of cash and giving to to a player, for pretty much any reason.

In that instance there is less control of what happens next as they can also just walk away

28 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

In that instance there is less control of what happens next as they can also just walk away

Next step will be one year contracts of some sort. Might end up like the NFL and instead of scholarships just do annual contracts. That would ultimately benefit the coaches once it’s figured out, cut the dead wood and stockpile talent with no salary cap 

This got me thinking is there rules about this

What is stopping a collective being a straight work around to paying athletes from the school?

True blue gives away a good amount of t shirts for free, I always just assumed that's what my student fee was for (half a joke)

Could the collective buy/make all the true blue shirt give aways, then sell them to true blue?