Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

NIL and it's relation to wins

Chet

3 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Recently found out some interesting information. Without going into details, I think UB is aware of what needs to be done to get their program back on track.

Please some give us some more details. 

5 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Recently found out some interesting information. Without going into details, I think UB is aware of what needs to be done to get their program back on track.

Yeah let's hear some details lol

On 2/28/2024 at 9:59 PM, TheCommish said:

I agree and disagree with you. On one hand, I agree with the performance center and locker room may not significantly impact 2024 players. As previously mentioned, there is a growing trend among students prioritizing opportunities for financial gain through Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) deals, even if that means "dressing in a phone booth,"

However, I also differ in opinion to some extent. NIL money is a new slice of the pie, we either ask for more money to grow the pie or the slices get smaller. I propose a fundamental shift in the structure by advocating for the separation of the athletic department into an independent entity. Notable institutions like UCF, UFlorida, and Army have successfully adopted this model.

The potential advantages of this restructuring include the establishment of long-term coaching contracts and the reduction of bureaucratic hurdles. This model, already operational in certain institutions, is poised to become a more widespread and accepted practice in the near future.

UB stadium may suck but did we approach the Bills/NYS about shared venue? I know the politics were in play with OP land build. Busing students to OP or downtown for a FCS opponent would be awful. I don't think we lost generations of fans because of the sightlines or track, we were not very good for a long time. MBB was unwatchable between 91-03 minus 3 seasons, football was awful during Craig Cirbus D1A era. Now, our football and basketball have been horrendous, last 18 months? which may very well turn off 25 and 26 grads.

I think UB Bulls have been FBS long enough to establish itself since 1999 in Western New York. The UB Bulls football attendance is getting worse yearly because the Buffalo fans hate UB Stadium. UB Stadium once the new Bills stadium opens and the Key Bank Center is renovated is going to look worse. UB Bulls are losing the entertainment money in Buffalo. There are more options for Buffalonians to spend their money than in 1999 Buffalo entertainment wise. You got the Buffalo Bisons season extended into September like the MLB baseball today so that takes some Buffalo fans money and time away. The Buffalo Bills fan is going to have to spend more money on PSL’s that is going to take Buffalo fans money away from UB Bulls potentially. You got Canalside that didn’t exist in 1999 that takes money away potentially from UB Bulls football. So if UB wants to win that battle of the Western New York entertainment dollars they they need to fix UB Stadium.

UB Bulls were invited to join the Buffalo Bills in the new Bills stadium UB AD Mark Alnutt and UB the university declined the invitation. Because Orchard Park was off campus and UB wanted the UB students to be able to go to the games on campus. Also Mark Alnutt said UB planned to renovate UB Stadium but no date was given. So UB knows there is a UB Stadium problem but no money is the problem why the Stadium hasn’t been renovated and I question where UB is coming up with $80 million dollars or more to renovate UB Stadium. New York State is reluctant to give towards SUNY athletics facilities so I don’t see how UB is ever raising $80 million dollars plus. Also your getting into UB Stadium is basically not built for FBS football it’s a basic track stadium.

With College football playoff access spot for one Group of 5 team UB Stadium needs to be renovated for UB to have any chance at that in the future. Again if it was my call I would knock down UB Stadium and build a new UB Bulls Dome Stadium on a North Dakota Fargo Dome scale size wise for UB Football and UB Basketball teams to play in. With 20,000 to 25,000 seats no more than that for our Buffalo market place. That is a better idea than spending $80 million dollars to renovate a 30 plus year old open air stadium that wasn’t built for football or night games with MACtion to begin with a covered stadium is a must because of the night games in November when it is cold. Since the facility is dome UB can use it year round for campus activities and given UB Alumni Arena back to the UB students for their club sports everyone wins with a Fargo Dome facility and yes build that UB dominates the MAC especially in football. No MAC schools offer a stadium inside where the players can play half there games it would be a huge recruiting advantage for UB like it is for North Dakota. Players are softer today so our the fans build the Fargo Dome and move on from UB Stadium. UB Stadium served UB well for 30 years but UB needs to focus on long term development what is best to sell tickets to UB football games in Buffalo in the future in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

Dayton AD - Dayton AD Neil Sullivan this week sent a letter to season ticket holders to share news that recruits can now negotiate NIL deals with third parties before committing: “To date, this is my most important update and I urge you to take a moment to read this information and find a way to support the NIL program. … The University of Dayton may not use any institutional funds (from season tickets, donations, etc.) to compensate players for use of their name, image, and likeness. 

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/dayton-ad-alerts-flyer-faithful-about-big-change-in-nil-landscape/V42PFLZX2JE43H3W2H2NNKGOTI/

49 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

Dayton AD - Dayton AD Neil Sullivan this week sent a letter to season ticket holders to share news that recruits can now negotiate NIL deals with third parties before committing: “To date, this is my most important update and I urge you to take a moment to read this information and find a way to support the NIL program. … The University of Dayton may not use any institutional funds (from season tickets, donations, etc.) to compensate players for use of their name, image, and likeness. 

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/dayton-ad-alerts-flyer-faithful-about-big-change-in-nil-landscape/V42PFLZX2JE43H3W2H2NNKGOTI/

Pretty twisted situation in my opinion, but the NCAA has been flawed for a number of years and this is what you end up with. Everyone is just trying to figure it out and since there are few rules, I guess this is what you end up with. There was always the joke of the car dealer booster taking care of the big guys with favorable deals on vehicles, etc. but now that is actually being encouraged by the school administrations. It's fascinating. 

On 3/8/2024 at 7:22 AM, UBinMD said:

Pretty twisted situation in my opinion, but the NCAA has been flawed for a number of years and this is what you end up with. Everyone is just trying to figure it out and since there are few rules, I guess this is what you end up with. There was always the joke of the car dealer booster taking care of the big guys with favorable deals on vehicles, etc. but now that is actually being encouraged by the school administrations. It's fascinating. 

Don’t disagree and we have $0 to offer to transfer portal players

8 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Does everyone think we will be magically good next year?

NIL - $0

Brought this over from the future of MBB thread so as not to derail it.

The fact that Alnutt, Whitesell, and Mo sat on their hands for two years while NIL was becoming the reality of D1 is such a dereliction of duty. It blows my mind that UB is at the back of the pack with this stuff, as a wealthy state's flagship university coming off excellent/elite runs in both basketball and football. The timing would have been perfect to hit the ground running to maintain the level we had reached, but instead we were flat-footed and seemingly uninterested.

People say it's not the AD or coaches' place to handle NIL, but it didn't just happen out of thin air everywhere else. Have some dinners, make some calls, connect the right people - do your job with urgency and foresight. I get that ADs are by nature conservative and the legal/procedural landscape of NIL is shifting quickly, but we pay you the big bucks to be agile wrt this stuff. It's not easy to figure out, but the winners will. 

Hot take: UB shouldn't try to overly catch up in regards to NIL (need to get something going though) because NIL and mid major basketball is more like a bubble that will fizzle out

They NEED to be ready for profit sharing and the potential to have student athletes as "employees". They should throw more resources into this to be able to hit the ground running. Which in my opinion will be a much bigger advantage than NIL is and ever will be 

17 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Hot take: UB shouldn't try to overly catch up in regards to NIL (need to get something going though) because NIL and mid major basketball is more like a bubble that will fizzle out

They NEED to be ready for profit sharing and the potential to have student athletes as "employees". They should throw more resources into this to be able to hit the ground running. Which in my opinion will be a much bigger advantage than NIL is and ever will be 

I have some bad news for you if this is what you want...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

I have some bad news for you if this is what you want...

If they are gonna go hard into NIL, I'm for it 100%

Just think with how precious the resources UB always seems to have it might be better suited to look forward to the next thing coming

Hopefully they do both! 

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I am essentially new to the board. Made an account a long time ago and haven’t been active other than reading it from time to time.

I wanted to post because I would like to know if someone is seriously pursuing creating an NIL Collective at the moment.

If not, I’d like to formally be involved in creating one with some of those that would be interested.  I have done a good bit of research & have talked to a number of other collectives, and have a lot of ideas. I also have connections in marketing so can help with website, social media, etc. 

If yes, please contact me as I would still like to be involved, and depending on where you’re at in the process, can discuss accordingly.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Well money is not a guarantee of success.

A Louisville fan mocked this post saying they are in the $4-$5 million range. They aren't going to win anything either. It's interesting that the donors are willing to feed that beast every year and have little to show for it. In the Big East, most of those programs don't have much by way of football, but the schools with Football and MBB/WBB really need big money to keep them all going.

Agree with the other poster, those that will win and likely be in the Elite 8 will all have robust NIL programs. I guess I will be happy if we can fund to a point where we can get back to the Oats level of success.

1 hour ago, DaBulls99 said:

Doesn’t guarantee it. But I’ll bet the teams in the Final Four or heck most teams in the second weekend have a strong NIL program. 

NIL is just another way for the rich to get richer. A strong NIL program just shows that there was probably already strong financial backing from donors - now they're just funneling their money into players rather than programs. As far as parity goes, it's a flawed system at this point.

11 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Well money is not a guarantee of success.

Doesn't really tell us anything unless compared against the schools that did make the tournament. There are a whole bunch of conferences that didn't have schools paying $2 million and only got 1 into the tournament

1 hour ago, SGBull said:

At some point it feels like the pendulum is going to swing the other way. Eventually donors are going to stop shelling out tons of money once they have paid enough for recruits that busted

Texas A&M hasn't figured it out yet. They have been paying people (legally and illegally) and haven't won shit.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Is any of this really new though? With NIL it’s just more public. Boosters paying recruits is nothing new. If anything I think it will evolve to full on contractual agreements. Which might be a way to reign in the portal.

The transfer portal is a big question. Is the transfer portal going to go back to a one time transfer that a player has to sit out or is the NCAA and the legal side still up in the air? Are we going to continue to see players moving from team to team from one year to the next or will a player decide to stay at one college because he is getting paid thousands and millions of dollars? The college experience seems like it will never have the same mystique and maybe a college doesn’t have to offer scholarships in lieu of a player getting millions in NIL money. 

5 hours ago, John said:

The transfer portal is a big question. Is the transfer portal going to go back to a one time transfer that a player has to sit out or is the NCAA and the legal side still up in the air? Are we going to continue to see players moving from team to team from one year to the next or will a player decide to stay at one college because he is getting paid thousands and millions of dollars? The college experience seems like it will never have the same mystique and maybe a college doesn’t have to offer scholarships in lieu of a player getting millions in NIL money. 

The courts will decide.  As of now there is no enforceable requirement to make someone sit a year for a second transfer.

• 2 weeks later...