Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

NIL and it's relation to wins

Chet

"NIL" is simply another word for buying players. These guys/gals are simply pros now. The idea of "amateur" is long gone within college athletics. Those with the most $$ will win over time. They'll become the Yankees, dodgers,Ā  etc, while we'll not even be the Pirates, but will be closer to the Bisons, sadly. Since there is no salary cap, it's nothing less than a free for all at the schools with the deepest pockets of donors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Its unfortunate. Hate that its gone this way. I hated the transfer portal first, then this on top of it makes it very difficult.

Unless Murchie or other locals want to throw down or we get another set of moneybag alumns, not sure what you can do.

That being said though, talent still trickles down. There are only so many players that can get said money.

Its really about how a team like UB can spend against similar conference schools.

Has the AD come out with a plan for establishing collectives yet? If the goal is to dominate the conference then folks have to get out there feelings and except this is reality. The other schools in the conference seem to get it. On principle kids that produce in whatever sport should be compensated coaches and staff had that ability for external sponsorships for decades capitalism at its best.Ā 
Ā 

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/toledo-nil-collective-friends-of-rocky-becomes-first-mac-collective/

https://ballstatesports.com/news/2022/4/22/general-ball-state-enhances-nil-opportunities-in-partnership-with-opendorse.aspx
Ā 

https://miamiredhawks.com/news/2023/9/25/general-miami-university-partners-with-podium-x.aspx

https://1804sportcollective.com/

Ā 

28 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

I'm going to say when your country is reliant on begging on GoFundMe to pay medical bills, that's a good sign Capitalism has never worked

Broken systems shouldn't be given crowdfunding band-aids. NCAA TV deals should be able to pay player salaries and benefits.

"But the MAC TV deal isn't worth anything!"

I know - that's why UB should drop D1 sports. It's a money pit.

Ā 

Ah ok thought we were talking sportsā€¦ but since you went there you know what never mind. I stand firm that if the president and AD are serious about winning conference titles in all sports Ā then establishing collectives, corporate sponsors and NIL partnerships for the athletes is the only way. The other MAC schools are ahead on this. If Alnutt is not creative or innovative enough then bring in a consultant that can help or replace him.Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RapidsFan said:

We are. The only reason American colleges haven't gone tuition-free is because politicians use the GI Bill as a carrot to get kids enlisted in military service.

Scholarships shouldn't need to exist.

https://biz.opendorse.com/blog/nil-opportunities-can-close-the-scholarship-gap/

I mean I guess thatā€™s one way to think about the use of the GI Bill and those that choose to go that route. But I do agree with you there are creative opportunities universities could use NILs but willĀ Tripathi/Alnutt be the ones to implement them? Is there a means to apply pressure to encourage them to consider it?

3 hours ago, RapidsFan said:

I'm going to say when your country is reliant on begging on GoFundMe to pay medical bills, that's a good sign Capitalism has never worked

Broken systems shouldn't be given crowdfunding band-aids. NCAA TV deals should be able to pay player salaries and benefits.

"But the MAC TV deal isn't worth anything!"

I know - that's why UB should drop D1 sports. It's a money pit.

Ā 

So is every other department on campus and 95% of division 1 departments. UConn gets bailed out to the tune of $40+ million a year by campus.Ā 

Where UB athletics screwed up isnā€™t completely there fault is they never saw the business changing. They figured give the UB Bulls coaches and players the best opportunity with UB facilities wise which on paper makes sense equal more wins than Buffalo fans will show up. The problem is today you need Buffalo fans interested to raise NIL. Unfortunately UB and Buffalo doesnā€™t have enough fans engaged and interested enough to go to the UB Bulls football games. Obviously now ignoring the Buffalo/UB fans complaints about UB Stadium amenities and the track is coming back to haunt UB football now when it comes to NIL. Because attendance sucks so bad now because Buffalo fans refuse to support UB football at outdated UB stadium hurts NIL. If you had a Buffalo community engaged in going to UB Bulls football games like Buffalo does the Buffalo Bisons at Sahlenā€™s Field or like St Bonaventure Bonnies at Reilly Center NIL wouldnā€™t be so tough. Buffalo likes Sahlenā€™s Field, Olean likes Reilly Center. Buffalo doesnā€™t like UB Stadium itā€™s a problem.

UB and UB athletics continues to ignore the Buffalo fans when it comes to UB Stadium and it will haunt this program with NIL until itā€™s upgraded with new video board is a must and removing the track is a must. If money is that tight I would move the football field when it is time to re carpet UB Stadium to the home side of UB Stadium and close the other side completely until UB can afford to completely remove the track. I would remove the end zone bleachers and just make it a tailgate end zone let them barbecue and bring there own food and booze in the end zone we need actual Buffalo football fans going to these UB Bulls football games. I would call it UB Bulls Rock Pile seating $10 you can tailgate the whole entire game with your own food and drinks. That is how the Buffalo Bills built a Buffalo fan base in the 1960ā€™s you were allowed to bring your own food and booze into War Memorial Stadium. Tailgating happened at than new Rich Stadium out of protest because the Buffalo Bills lobbied the county of Erie to not allow Bills fans to bring their own food and booze anymore like at War Memorial Stadium. Buffalo Bills fans didnā€™t like it hence eating in the parking lots before you entered the then new Rich Stadium.

UB Bulls football is desperate now they need Western New York football fans to go to these games let them tailgate in the empty end zone take down the ridiculous medal bleachers that no one really uses. I think UB Bulls football could be the second hottest ticket in town behind the Buffalo Bills if UB and UB athletics isnā€™t so stubborn. Let the Buffalo fans tailgate anything goes and Buffalo fans will take UB Bulls football team to their heart than NIL opportunities. But UB if they arenā€™t going to spend the money on UB Stadium they need to relax the rules at UB Stadium when it comes to food and drinks let them bring a keg I donā€™t care as long as they buy a $10 ticket and become engaged with UB Bulls football win and lose attending games in person. UB and UB athletics canā€™t have it both ways either fix UB Stadium or anything goes at UB Stadium because what UB athletics are doing now clearly isnā€™t working drawing Buffalo fans our attendance is back to when UB football was FCS at UB Stadium in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Letā€™s Go BuffaloĀ 

7 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

Where UB athletics screwed up isnā€™t completely there fault is they never saw the business changing. They figured give the UB Bulls coaches and players the best opportunity with UB facilities wise which on paper makes sense equal more wins than Buffalo fans will show up. The problem is today you need Buffalo fans interested to raise NIL. Unfortunately UB and Buffalo doesnā€™t have enough fans engaged and interested enough to go to the UB Bulls football games. Obviously now ignoring the Buffalo/UB fans complaints about UB Stadium amenities and the track is coming back to haunt UB football now when it comes to NIL. Because attendance sucks so bad now because Buffalo fans refuse to support UB football at outdated UB stadium hurts NIL. If you had a Buffalo community engaged in going to UB Bulls football games like Buffalo does the Buffalo Bisons at Sahlenā€™s Field or like St Bonaventure Bonnies at Reilly Center NIL wouldnā€™t be so tough. Buffalo likes Sahlenā€™s Field, Olean likes Reilly Center. Buffalo doesnā€™t like UB Stadium itā€™s a problem.

UB and UB athletics continues to ignore the Buffalo fans when it comes to UB Stadium and it will haunt this program with NIL until itā€™s upgraded with new video board is a must and removing the track is a must. If money is that tight I would move the football field when it is time to re carpet UB Stadium to the home side of UB Stadium and close the other side completely until UB can afford to completely remove the track. I would remove the end zone bleachers and just make it a tailgate end zone let them barbecue and bring there own food and booze in the end zone we need actual Buffalo football fans going to these UB Bulls football games. I would call it UB Bulls Rock Pile seating $10 you can tailgate the whole entire game with your own food and drinks. That is how the Buffalo Bills built a Buffalo fan base in the 1960ā€™s you were allowed to bring your own food and booze into War Memorial Stadium. Tailgating happened at than new Rich Stadium out of protest because the Buffalo Bills lobbied the county of Erie to not allow Bills fans to bring their own food and booze anymore like at War Memorial Stadium. Buffalo Bills fans didnā€™t like it hence eating in the parking lots before you entered the then new Rich Stadium.

UB Bulls football is desperate now they need Western New York football fans to go to these games let them tailgate in the empty end zone take down the ridiculous medal bleachers that no one really uses. I think UB Bulls football could be the second hottest ticket in town behind the Buffalo Bills if UB and UB athletics isnā€™t so stubborn. Let the Buffalo fans tailgate anything goes and Buffalo fans will take UB Bulls football team to their heart than NIL opportunities. But UB if they arenā€™t going to spend the money on UB Stadium they need to relax the rules at UB Stadium when it comes to food and drinks let them bring a keg I donā€™t care as long as they buy a $10 ticket and become engaged with UB Bulls football win and lose attending games in person. UB and UB athletics canā€™t have it both ways either fix UB Stadium or anything goes at UB Stadium because what UB athletics are doing now clearly isnā€™t working drawing Buffalo fans our attendance is back to when UB football was FCS at UB Stadium in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Letā€™s Go BuffaloĀ 

I am calling BS on the stadium as why people are not going to UB games.Ā  I have decided against going to see any game because of the facility it was going to be played in.Ā  I have never gone to a facility and said that I am not going to see another game because of the quality of the facility.Ā  For all the people on this and other message boards or spying platforms (Discord for those of you scoring at home, or even if you are alone) claiming that the stadium has issues, I do not remember one person saying they were giving up going to games because of the facility, and yes I have gone to basketball and hockey games as well as concerts in the Aud.

For those who complain about soccer lines on the field, have you seen a Patriots' home game recently?Ā  Soccer lines do not seem to be an issue for people in Foxborough.

Also, how many people beyond these boards are complaining about the stadium?Ā  At most, and this is being very generous, there are maybe 15-20 people here who complain about the stadium.Ā  As for removing the track, I know it has hurt UB for conference realignment in the past, but look at other stadiums that used to have tracks.Ā  YOu can still see the make out of ht the track inside of them.Ā  For four schools, take a look at Ohio State, Maryland, Wisconsin and James Madison.Ā  If you look at the picture of the James Madison's facility in another thread, you can still make out the track.

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

As for removing the track, I know it has hurt UB for conference realignment in the past,

Since we know you are connected, can you elaborate a bit on this point...to the extent you can.Ā  When you say "I know", that seems to me more than just a typical "I think" masquerading as actual knowledge.

23 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Since we know you are connected, can you elaborate a bit on this point...to the extent you can.Ā  When you say "I know", that seems to me more than just a typical "I think" masquerading as actual knowledge.

It was the look of the track, it makes the stadium not look like "college football".

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

I am calling BS on the stadium as why people are not going to UB games.Ā  I have decided against going to see any game because of the facility it was going to be played in.Ā  I have never gone to a facility and said that I am not going to see another game because of the quality of the facility.Ā  For all the people on this and other message boards or spying platforms (Discord for those of you scoring at home, or even if you are alone) claiming that the stadium has issues, I do not remember one person saying they were giving up going to games because of the facility, and yes I have gone to basketball and hockey games as well as concerts in the Aud.

For those who complain about soccer lines on the field, have you seen a Patriots' home game recently?Ā  Soccer lines do not seem to be an issue for people in Foxborough.

Also, how many people beyond these boards are complaining about the stadium?Ā  At most, and this is being very generous, there are maybe 15-20 people here who complain about the stadium.Ā  As for removing the track, I know it has hurt UB for conference realignment in the past, but look at other stadiums that used to have tracks.Ā  YOu can still see the make out of ht the track inside of them.Ā  For four schools, take a look at Ohio State, Maryland, Wisconsin and James Madison.Ā  If you look at the picture of the James Madison's facility in another thread, you can still make out the track.

Name one other FBS stadium that has worse sight lines and scoreboard than UB Stadium. UB Stadium is the worst and getting people to UB Stadium when they are used to Ralph Wilson Stadium (one of the worst in the NFL, but still much better than UB) is a hard ask.

UB can get people to big games, Army 2018 is the example, but in order to get more people inside consistently you need to be better than ā€œthe worstā€. Your ability to put up with the worst stadium in FBS, from the sidelines presumably, is different than most other people that are watching the game from a mile away in the stands. Most other people are going to be more casual fans and if the experience sucks they arenā€™t going to come back. Thereā€™s a lot of people that are complaining (and not going) to home Sabres games because of arena issues there. No hot water in the upper level being an issue.Ā 
Ā 

People outside of these boards arenā€™t complaining because if the stadium sucks you justā€¦donā€™t go and continue your September through November only following the Bills. Go on two bills drive and ask those people what they think of UB Stadium.Ā 
Ā 

The soccer lines on the field of Gillette are scrubbed from the field of play for football games so I donā€™t know why that would be relevant. When the Oakland Raiders played during baseball season I remember it was a huge hit with fans to see the dirt infield during football games.Ā 
Ā 

Iā€™ve been to all four of the stadiums you listed and all of them the sight lines are better, and they have added seating closer to the field of play after removing the track. The track is awful to have but the sight lines need to be improved as well.Ā 
Ā 

Iā€™m going to UB games regardless but a lot of people will not. BSF is 100% correct and if the admin just thinks that people will continue to show up without any major fan renovations in decades then thereā€™s a real issue.Ā 

On 11/25/2023 at 12:57 PM, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Jim Mora Jr. is 100% correct and I've been preaching that on this board for a few years now.

NIL from Jim Mora's point of view is millions.Ā 

The MAC there NIL deals would be thousands. Its insanity that UB dosen't have well funded NIL programs. The school doesn't need that much money at the mid-major basketball level and MAC football level to compete for Athletes.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

37 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

NIL from Jim Mora's point of view is millions.Ā 

The MAC there NIL deals would be thousands. Its insanity that UB dosen't have well funded NIL programs. The school doesn't need that much money at the mid-major basketball level and MAC football level to compete for Athletes.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

NIL isn't a major priority from Advancement.Ā  I don't think it will be in the future with this President.Ā  I suspect it is a big deal for the AD, but sports (regardless of the interest on this board) isn't a big deal at UB.Ā  Ā  There has been decades and decades of evidence that supports this.

If you want to make change, you need to be in a position to influence decision makers.Ā  Hopefully there is someone on this board (or reads this board) who will be on the search committee for the next President...and can encourage the committee, etc., as it relates to athletics and its importance.Ā 

I don't know where the fiscal oversight is for UB and how it is related to the SUNY Board.Ā  But if there are decision makers/people with influence there, this is how we can get change made.Ā  Ā Same thing with donors and/or members at UB Foundation.

Ā 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, UB92 said:

NIL isn't a major priority from Advancement.Ā 

That is because a school cannot seek NIL money.Ā  It has to be sought by a private group (collective) and not the school.Ā  If the school raises the money it is a NCAA violation.

A collective has been set up. https://ubbulls.com/sports/2022/7/26/ub-name-image-likeness-program-built-in-buffalo

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

That is because a school cannot seek NIL money.Ā  It has to be sought by a private group (collective) and not the school.Ā  If the school raises the money it is a NCAA violation.

A collective has been set up. https://ubbulls.com/sports/2022/7/26/ub-name-image-likeness-program-built-in-buffalo

That link is not a collective. Itā€™s an educational program. Iā€™ve asked and currently there is not a way to donate to a collective, which is what a collective is. A collective is donors who pay student athletes to do community service. We donā€™t have that. Sigh.Ā