Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Next Coach In - ???

6 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Unless something has changed since 2006, he will be a very hard hire.  Turner Gill wanted him as an assistant.  They had to get waivers, because he never graduated PItt.  They got the waivers and then he went to the NFL, the Bills I think.

Seriously?  I find it hard to connect the dots between graduating from Pitt and being an assistant coach.  As in most fields, I care much more about industry certification, good interviews, and an open market.  

BN story has the same names plus Campanile who wanted the job last time. but who knows if Alnutt will say 'Yes' 2nd go round. Plus Pitt and Penn State's fired offensive coordinators...meh.

Hey while we are at it Frank Reich is available too! So what if he is still getting paid by the Panthers and has never coached below the NFL. He said he is done coaching NFL ...see if he wants that Buffalo glory again!! 🤪

Starting to get a feeling they picked Polian weeks ago and all the unsolicited "HEY WHAT ABOUT BRIAN POLIAN?" tweets are just his idiot St. Francis friends trying to drum up support

He's white and Catholic, so I'm sure UB Horns Up will be creaming himself

UB Basketball and Football both coached by nepo babies - what a world

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

hmm-thinking.gif

You think UB was interviewing replacements for Mo before Alabama even played Michigan in the semifinal?

Since you're the most identity-obsessed poster here, care to give your review of Mo's time here? Or does that not fit your narrative?

• Like 3

I’m really hoping we go the Leipold route and hire a lower division head coach that has had success. Like other posters have said, our best seasons in history have been with coaches from that mold (experience with winning as a head coach). Really not much to add on what other posters have said, I just really think a lower level successful head coach is the way to go  I would be really disappointed if we hired Polian, seems like such an uninspired hire, a mediocre if not downright bad coach at Nevada and couldn’t even hang onto a special teams coordinator spot at LSU. 

Edited by Ubbullsfan09
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RapidsFan said:

Starting to get a feeling they picked Polian weeks ago and all the unsolicited "HEY WHAT ABOUT BRIAN POLIAN?" tweets are just his idiot St. Francis friends trying to drum up support

He's white and Catholic, so I'm sure UB Horns Up will be creaming himself

UB Basketball and Football both coached by nepo babies - what a world

Get over yourself and grow up!

The route with the highest upside is probably hiring a successful, experienced head coach from a lower level. Question will be if any of the leading candidates at those levels think Buffalo is a worthy job that can help them move up in their careers?

I think the Coach Mo experience makes it unlikely they hire anyone without a head coaching background but we’ll see.

If they’re looking to make a “splash” hire the community will support, they’ll target Babers or Polian because both names will resonate more in Buffalo than a random FCS/D2 head coach regardless of their resume.

12 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

The route with the highest upside is probably hiring a successful, experienced head coach from a lower level. Question will be if any of the leading candidates at those levels think Buffalo is a worthy job that can help them move up in their careers?

I think the Coach Mo experience makes it unlikely they hire anyone without a head coaching background but we’ll see.

If they’re looking to make a “splash” hire the community will support, they’ll target Babers or Polian because both names will resonate more in Buffalo than a random FCS/D2 head coach regardless of their resume.

Any good coach at a lower level should seriously consider Buffalo. We have resources, getting a new Performance Center and let's be honest, the MAC is not a tough conference and is winnable, which could put them back on the map and then get poached like LL, Oats, etc. It's not that far in the past. Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 10:56 AM, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

You're right that it didn't take 5-6 "offers" since a few coaches outright told them they weren't interested before that point.

First of all don’t compare the UB Bulls basketball coaching job to the UB Bulls football coaching job. The UB Bulls will never be anything much in Western New York because the market is split 4 ways between 4 Division I college basketball schools. Two the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bandits take another bit at the economics Apple. UB Bulls football is against the Buffalo Bills and the end of the Buffalo Bisons season that now goes into September because the season is extended. Which factors into attendance and economics for UB athletics regardless of what the UB donors want to believe. The bottom line is UB is a football school more facilities have been built for football in mind. And last there at only 100 plus FBS college football coaching jobs not 300 plus like college basketball. Beggars can’t be choosers. If who ever the UB Bulls head coaching choice is if Division II or Division III athletic director job is that wonderful at Cortland or Tim Buck too. Good stay there because you aren’t a leader that Buffalo wants. This is a great job $675,000 is a lot of money in Western New York circles if you don’t want to come don’t come. Jim Ward 2 I mean Maurice Linquist sucked so bad he was stealing money at UB. I could pick someone out of UB Stadium stands each week like a ball boy or girl that would coach for some pizza and wings that would do just as good of a job as Maurice Linquist. Last UB is getting $750,000 buyout from Alabama UB Bulls football will get a good coach it has nothing to do with UB Bulls basketball apples and oranges in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

16 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Buffalo isn’t supporting anyone unless they win. It really doesn’t matter if it’s Polian or Babers or who ever. Buffalo is the Los Angeles of college sports if you win they will take a look. I have been a UB Bulls fan for over 30 plus years as a non UB alum. I have given up on Western New York ever being a good college sports town. Some of it is economics but most of it is Western New York is a major trendy events town even more so today than ever before. It’s going to get worse for college athletics in Buffalo as my generation that supported both professional and college sports age out. You are seeing it at Canisius, Niagara, St Bonaventure and UB the fans have a lot of snow on the roof sort of thing. I am 56 years old and I started going to UB games in my 20’s we are getting old. And there aren’t enough interested in leaving the house and television set for 4 or 5 hours to replace us. That is the truth weather fans want to hear it or believe it it’s the truth. I will support UB athletics and college sports in Western New York until the day I die but younger Western New York generation have to pick it up support wise because we older people aren’t going to be here forever. The Western New York younger generation is the future because to borrow a line from the late Seymour Knox about the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium “the old grey mare ain’t what she used to be” in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

Buffalo football coaching job pluses, minuses and candidates after Maurice Linguist

So what names could get in the mix?

Kansas co-offensive coordinator Jim Zebrowski served in the same role at Buffalo under Leipold from 2017 to ’20, winning two division championships and developing quarterbacks like Tyree Jackson (the MAC’s 2018 offensive player of the year) and Kyle Vantrease. At Kansas, he has helped develop Jalon Daniels and Jason Bean, both of whom are top-five in Kansas history in touchdown passes. Zebrowski also has head coaching experience at Division III Lakeland, going 28-12 over four seasons and reaching the playoffs for the first time in school history.

Toledo defensive coordinator Vince Kehres has developed one of the best defenses in the MAC. The Rockets finished 16th nationally in yards per play allowed. Before joining Toledo in 2020, Kehres was the head coach at Division III powerhouse Mount Union, posting a 95-6 record from 2013 to ’19 and winning two national championships. The last time Buffalo hired a D-III coach (Leipold), it worked out.

John Carroll athletic director Brian Polian could be an interesting name to watch. Polian, who most recently coached LSU’s special teams in 2022, grew up near Buffalo and worked as a UB assistant in 1998 and from 2001 to ’03. He was Nevada’s head coach from 2013 to ’16, reaching two bowl games in four seasons. If he’s interested in getting back into coaching, perhaps this could be a fit for the son of former NFL general manager Bill Polian.

Illinois wide receivers/assistant head coach George McDonald has coached at three different MAC schools throughout his career. The Illinois native has been with the Illini since 2021 and was Syracuse’s offensive coordinator from 2013 to ’14, so he has experience in Upstate New York.

Syracuse quarterbacks coach Nunzio Campanile is a Northeast guy. A longtime New Jersey high school coach who won a state title in 2017, he moved up to Rutgers from 2018 to ’22, twice serving as the interim head coach. He joined Syracuse last season and was retained by new head coach Fran Brown.

Kansas analyst Joe Dailey is a New Jersey native who coached at Buffalo in 2008 and ’09. He spent 2022 in the NFL as the Carolina Panthers’ wide receivers coach and previously coached at Boston College, New Mexico and Liberty.

Would former Syracuse head coach Dino Babers be interested? Babers was let go in November after eight seasons. He only reached two bowl games but won five games three times. He has MAC experience, going 18-9 as Bowling Green’s head coach from 2014 to ’15, winning a MAC championship, and he posted a 12-2 season at Eastern Illinois before that.

Albany head coach Greg Gattuso is coming off an 11-4 season in which the Great Danes reached the FCS semifinals. He has had more losing seasons than winning ones at Albany but has won at least nine games twice in the last five years. He also went 97-32 as Duquesne’s head coach from 1993 to 2004 with eight conference titles. The 61-year-old Penn State alum has also coached at Maryland and Pitt.

Syracuse offensive coordinator Jeff Nixon just joined the Orange after four years in the NFL with the Giants and Panthers, where he coached players like Saquon Barkley and Christian McCaffrey. The Rochester, Pa., native played at Penn State and was Baylor’s play caller for the 2019 team that won 11 games and played for the Big 12 championship and Sugar Bowl.

This whole thing seems odd to me

How has polian done as the AD at John Carroll? Would it be a huge jump to UB? 

The one tweet/x post that mentions that no search firm has been hired or at least haven't heard of one

Conspiracy......alnutt is on the way out? 

14 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

How has polian done as the AD at John Carroll?

He just moved JCU to a lesser conference today after 35 years in the Ohio Athletic Conference:

Edited by RapidsFan

The only coach I don’t want under any conditions is Greg Gattuso he is 61 years old and there were stretches where Albany Great Danes fans bashed him and wanted him fired from FCS. I get it he had a good season last season at Albany and he beat UB once but no thank you. I was at that UB game where Albany won. I wasn’t impressed with Greg Gattuso he was a defensive coach plus he isn’t a offensive mind. I would rather UB Bulls football hire a offensive mind like Lance Leipold was a quarterback in college in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like 1