Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MBB vs EMU @7pm

Hoping to see Sabol get back on track.  As a team stick to what’s worked better the past 3-4 games with ball movement, points in the paint and limit the turnovers.  Keep the 3P attempts to 20 or fewer….when Bulls exceed that number they are now 0-20.  As a bonus, dying to see better than 40% success beyond the arc for a change. If we could manage that I like our chances.

Things I would like to see these final games:

1.  Get Boldin back on court and encourage him to use his athleticism to attack the rim and get to the free throw line.

2.  Limit minutes of Adams as he is the biggest anchor taking this team down.  Lazy on defense, terrible effort to rebound, too many turnovers and awful shot selection and even worse shooting percentage.  Limiting his minutes will certainly mean he will transfer out.  That is what is best for this program.  

3.  Get Sabol the ability to create some shots for either himself or his teammates.  To be affective he needs to be able to get some shots off the dribble.  He needs to have more shots each game.  Too many shots are being taken by adams and Smith.

4.  No more three pointers for Chatman.  His percentage is awful and he is so good and the mid range, that needs to be his game.  Back ur defender down and play to the strength of ur game and please take care of the ball.

This has been one if the hardest seasons to watch in my 28 years following the program.  I have remained engaged and continue to support the team despite how hard that is to do at this point.  I want to see improvement.  To me it starts with effort especially on the defensive end of the floor.  I also want to see more fire from coaches.  If these kids aren't doing what we want, sit them.  Playing time is earned.  Hold them accountable for their actions on the floor.  I have seen way to much lackadaisical effort from this team.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, MaineBull said:

Things I would like to see these final games:

1.  Get Boldin back on court and encourage him to use his athleticism to attack the rim and get to the free throw line.

2.  Limit minutes of Adams as he is the biggest anchor taking this team down.  Lazy on defense, terrible effort to rebound, too many turnovers and awful shot selection and even worse shooting percentage.  Limiting his minutes will certainly mean he will transfer out.  That is what is best for this program.  

3.  Get Sabol the ability to create some shots for either himself or his teammates.  To be affective he needs to be able to get some shots off the dribble.  He needs to have more shots each game.  Too many shots are being taken by adams and Smith.

4.  No more three pointers for Chatman.  His percentage is awful and he is so good and the mid range, that needs to be his game.  Back ur defender down and play to the strength of ur game and please take care of the ball.

This has been one if the hardest seasons to watch in my 28 years following the program.  I have remained engaged and continue to support the team despite how hard that is to do at this point.  I want to see improvement.  To me it starts with effort especially on the defensive end of the floor.  I also want to see more fire from coaches.  If these kids aren't doing what we want, sit them.  Playing time is earned.  Hold them accountable for their actions on the floor.  I have seen way to much lackadaisical effort from this team.

Limit Adams' minutes and give them to who? They only suit up 8 guys.  He'd be great to get rid of. Along with Sy and Jo being gone, we'll have quite the quality roster returning. We have 1 win this year, we must be looking for that goose-egg! 

His minutes can can be given to anyone.  What he is giving us is nothing but, terrible attitude, awful defense, no rebounding, no leadership, terrible shot selection and he limits ball movement as it stops when it gets to him always.  Anyone who knows anything aboit basketball knows hiw much he has let this team down. 

His stats for season

38% fg

22%3pt fg

3 to per game

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MaineBull said:

His minutes can can be given to anyone.  What he is giving us is nothing but, terrible attitude, awful defense, no rebounding, no leadership, terrible shot selection and he limits ball movement as it stops when it gets to him always.  Anyone who knows anything aboit basketball knows hiw much he has let this team down. 

His stats for season

38% fg

22%3pt fg

3 to per game

He wasn't like that last year. What's changed?

He was definitely like this last year.  He is a good third or fourth option on a team.  The difference this year is he he is being asked to be option 1 or 2 and he does not have that ability.  He is also being asked to be a leader and we can all see how that is going.  This team will not have success with this type of player on a roster.  We cannot support a player giving such poor effort, it's flat our embarrassing and setting this program back.  The best situation for all is he grad transfers out of program.  Best way to assure that happens is to make an example of him, and establish culture by saying lack of effort has consequences.  As a result he gets upset and transfers.  BYE!

58 minutes ago, MaineBull said:

Offense so good we should remove the player with the best assist rate just to see what happens

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MaineBull said:

He was definitely like this last year.  He is a good third or fourth option on a team.  The difference this year is he he is being asked to be option 1 or 2 and he does not have that ability.  He is also being asked to be a leader and we can all see how that is going.  This team will not have success with this type of player on a roster.  We cannot support a player giving such poor effort, it's flat our embarrassing and setting this program back.  The best situation for all is he grad transfers out of program.  Best way to assure that happens is to make an example of him, and establish culture by saying lack of effort has consequences.  As a result he gets upset and transfers.  BYE!

Let's see, #1 option is gone, let's run #2 option out of town and a top rebounder is gone too. Who's the option now for next year? The spot shooter? The 4th year big man who has averaged like 1ppg over 3 years? Sounds like a great plan running talented players off. Good thing we've been able to enjoy all of this winning this year, since next year will be a "rebuilding year".

17 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Offense so good we should remove the player with the best assist rate just to see what happens

His assist rate wouldn't be nearly as impressive if he were actually hitting shots. The formula is 100 * AST / (((MP / (Tm MP / 5)) * Tm FG) - FG). He's not contributing nearly enough of his own FGs, which would push the divisor higher and his AST% down.

He has done better at distributing than I expected when it became apparent that he'd be forced to be the team's primary ball handler as a point forward. However, his overall offensive game has suffered greatly as a result of being miscast in that role. He has an 87.4 ORTG on 25.9 usage - that's really really bad. If any deeper stat heads want to pull it up, I'd love to know how many guys in D1 have a higher usage rate with a worse ORTG.

So many of this team's struggles can be traced back to the failure of the staff to add a veteran PG to the roster. Armoni Foster was nothing special, but I think this team would have 5 more wins if he were still here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

His assist rate wouldn't be nearly as impressive if he were actually hitting shots. The formula is 100 * AST / (((MP / (Tm MP / 5)) * Tm FG) - FG). He's not contributing nearly enough of his own FGs, which would push the divisor higher and his AST% down.

He has done better at distributing than I expected when it became apparent that he'd be forced to be the team's primary ball handler as a point forward. However, his overall offensive game has suffered greatly as a result of being miscast in that role. He has an 87.4 ORTG on 25.9 usage - that's really really bad. If any deeper stat heads want to pull it up, I'd love to know how many guys in D1 have a higher usage rate with a worse ORTG.

So many of this team's struggles can be traced back to the failure of the staff to add a veteran PG to the roster. Armoni Foster was nothing special, but I think this team would have 5 more wins if he were still here.

^^^^ This is the big issue.  Got another opportunity this summer to construct a better team.  I am hoping GHIII takes advantage of said opportunity.

Kind of surprised at the Adams hate, tbh. I think a lot of the complaints I'm seeing from @MaineBull, especially on the defensive side, I'd focus on Sy first. Sure we'll get a couple of highlight reel blocks/goaltends a game out of him, but I've never seen anyone with less hustle back into the defensive zone - especially when he thinks he was fouled dribbling into three defenders and not getting a call.

I don't think Boldin nor Graham were in boots last game so hoping one or both can get back in the rotation. I'm loving what I've seen from Fulcher recently though so Boldin coming back and cannibalizing his minutes is not something I'm hugely looking forward to when really it should be Sabol. With Graham, I'm worried about Wilson losing minutes too who has been a good burst of energy off the bench lately. And how 'bout Zaakir the last few games?

We're getting very close to being mathematically eliminated from Cleveland. Go Bulls 🤘

I would agree Adams has been bad defensively but Chatman may be the worst defensive player to ever done a UB uniform.  All he cares about is getting a block.  He plays with such a lack of effort it makes me sick honestly.  You are exactly right he literally trots back on defense every play.  Watch him tonight, it's so frustrating to watch a guy who could.be a great player on both ends just lack the desire to ever want to try.  He play like a kid who transfered to a school to play with his  buddy (Curtis Jones) and a coach he liked in  whitesell only to have to sit out a year because it was his second transfer and then both Whitesell and Jones are gone and he does  not want to sit out another year so screw it I am going to breeze thru the season and do what I want and give an awful effort.  It's so bad.  

The major reason this team is ranked 345 currently in kenpom rankings and that is because of the lack of good play by the supposed leaders of this team Adams and Chatman.  I welcome the off-season where both these guys will.be gone , hopefully, and coaching staff can bring in some.of their own guys who are willing to do what is needed on the defensive end to win. 

I want Fulcher doing nothing but shooting threes all off-season. That guy can be a real problem in this conference with his speed to the basket and distribution skills. If he can get up to 35% from three and limit the turnovers? He'll be great in the SEC in the 25-26 season 🤣