Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Rivalry with UMass

Personally, I hope they do make this a new rivalry/trophy game. While we do seem to have natural rivalries with Akron, Kent, and Ohio in basketball, I think it makes sense for multiple reasons to encourage a rivalry with UMass. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SGBull said:

Personally, I hope they do make this a new rivalry/trophy game. While we do seem to have natural rivalries with Akron, Kent, and Ohio in basketball, I think it makes sense for multiple reasons to encourage a rivalry with UMass. 

We are still the outsiders, so it makes sense to doing something with UMass. The other groups all have their little rivalries already.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

We are still the outsiders, so it makes sense to doing something with UMass. The other groups all have their little rivalries already.

No.   Too forced.   

This is the AD's efforts?  Make up a trophy?  

A lot of Civil Conflict vibes...

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

No.   Too forced.   

This is the AD's efforts?  Make up a trophy?  

A lot of Civil Conflict vibes...

I mean all rivalries had a trophy made up at some point. This rivalry feels a lot more natural to me. Teams are viewed as the "east coast" outsiders of the conference, they are much closer than UConn and UCF, Massachusetts vs New York, and both are without a true in conference rival. 

I love the idea of a trophy with UMASS. We're such similar schools and we desparately need something to build student interest and elevate school pride. A rivalry can't hurt and let's face it, despite winning a ton of games in this conference not one MAC school considers us a rival. 

• Like 5

Look I am sure East Coast UB alums want this but I don’t see UMass ever being a rivalry for UB. UB rivals were Ohio Bobcats because they were the first game UB played before joining the MAC and they put a beating on UB football in I believe 1998. The Ohio fans are obnoxious and so were there cheerleaders during that game doing pushups and laughing. Then you add Frank Solich and Ohio being consistently good in the MAC. Marshall is in a league by themselves when it comes to obnoxious fans they are still our rival when we played them postseason and beat them in the Camellia Bowl they fired there head coach after that loss to UB. Temple Owls another obnoxious fan base that got kicked out of the Big East Conference but they were usually always good in the MAC. The problem with UMass is there stadium is worse than ours it holds like 18,000 and few care about football at UMass it’s a hockey and basketball school. Plus UMass football is worse than UB Bulls so there is no rivalry there. UMass problem is there not in Boston. Boston College is the king there in the ACC.

UB Bulls would have a better rivalry with Harvard at least there is history and tradition there with Boston sports plus there stadium is better than UMass. I have said this before the perfect place for UB athletics is the Ivy League because it matches up with UB the university as an institution. Support level also matches up athletically for UB. I don’t think of Ivy League as FCS they are in a league of their own just like Buffalo and UB. If UB was offered an invite to the Ivy League I wouldn’t think twice I would accept the invitation because it matches New York State, SUNY and UB politically, culturally and support level wise.

UB alums saying no aren’t seeing the realities of New York State and there core values they want for all SUNY schools. The MAC matches Western New York culturally to a degree but not New York State at all and it will always be an issue. Western New York is a blend of Western New York, New York State, Canadian and Midwestern values culturally blended together that is why there will always be a divide between New York State downstate and Western New York. Downstate has some kind of mental block because they can’t see why doesn’t Western New York want to be like us like the rest of Upstate. I am saying because Buffalo has too much historical Canadian and Blue Collar/Midwestern culture to ever change. Your not changing that. I get it New York State tries and tries but it’s not happening because the Canadian and Blue Collar culture is too ingrained in Western New York.

That is why Nate Oats was one of the smartest head coaches UB ever had because he didn’t try and fight it like Danny White did as an example. Nate Oats embraced the Blue Collar shirts and hard hats and it was popular in Buffalo along with having major team success. UB still doesn’t see it or really gets it there too busy chasing the tail of SUNY and New York State giving lip service to Western New York. That is why I am saying just get it over with and join the Ivy League that way we don’t have to go through this nonsense anymore with New York State, SUNY and UB. This really deep down is what UB really wants the Ivy League core values and educational missions. I think UB vs Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Columbia and Pennsylvania would be huge games for the UB Bulls. Joining Ivy League means you won’t have to do a thing to upgrade UB Stadium ever again.

Which is what New York State, SUNY wants and matches up with there core mission for education. The MAC and any FBS conference goes against NY and SUNY core educational missions. UB can’t join FCS because there is no history there to sell and the markets are small like Albany nobody cares about them athletically. UB’s best bet for long term success and survival of UB athletics is the Ivy League with there major East Coast markets of Boston, New York City and Philadelphia. I have never changed my opinion on that because I see after 30 years as a UB football season season ticket holder the realities of UB, SUNY and New York State. I personally would support UB Bulls in the Ivy League because than we can get back to enjoying football and UB can be competitive with there peers athletically from a budget standpoint in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

34 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

UB Bulls would have a better rivalry with Harvard at least there is history and tradition there with Boston sports plus there stadium is better than UMass. I have said this before the perfect place for UB athletics is the Ivy League because it matches up with UB the university as an institution.

Except UB is a public institution and joining the Ivy League would throw a wrench into the NLRB decision involving Dartmouth.

36 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

Buffalo has too much historical Canadian and Blue

I prefer Molson Golden to either of these two.

37 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

UB can’t join FCS because there is no history there to sell

At what level do you think the Ivy League plays football?

• Like 3

On 3/4/2024 at 10:56 AM, SGBull said:

What would we like the trophy to look like? Some shared point of pride?

I looked it up and both Amhersts are named after the same guy, Jeffrey Amherst, Commander in Chief for the British. But, his history is one that doesn’t hold up well for honoring.  Who’s got something? 

On 3/7/2024 at 2:50 PM, BrooklynBull said:

Except UB is a public institution and joining the Ivy League would throw a wrench into the NLRB decision involving Dartmouth.

Seeing this idea reminded me of years ago, at a UB Faculty Senate meeting, the topic of UB athletics came up and someone with no clue of how D1 athletics works said UB was not right for FBS and, why not join the Ivy League? Of course! The ONLY way UB would EVER consider dropping to FCS would be an Ivy invite..and 0% chance of it ever happening. 

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2024 at 2:11 PM, UB Horns Up said:

UB alums saying no aren’t seeing the realities of New York State and there core values they want for all SUNY schools. The MAC matches Western New York culturally to a degree but not New York State at all and it will always be an issue. Western New York is a blend of Western New York, New York State, Canadian and Midwestern values culturally blended together that is why there will always be a divide between New York State downstate and Western New York. Downstate has some kind of mental block because they can’t see why doesn’t Western New York want to be like us like the rest of Upstate. I am saying because Buffalo has too much historical Canadian and Blue Collar/Midwestern culture to ever change. Your not changing that. I get it New York State tries and tries but it’s not happening because the Canadian and Blue Collar culture is too ingrained in Western New York.

I apologize.  I had not taken the time to read your comments prior to today.  Then, I saw Brooklyn's comment about "Golden" and it caught my eye.  Like a good buddy of mine, beer has a way of doing that!

In any event, I am honored/honoured that you think Canada has had a major influence on western New York.  Most southern Ontarians/Canadians would say the opposite.  I had family skirmish with Americans in the area in the War of 1812...but I'm still a UB fan.

I think the answer is pretty straight forward...."follow the money".  It usually leads to a sensible/not-logical conclusion.   

Reading through the UMass forums, their fans are not looking at any rivalry yet. The general view is the midwest conference and distances, and losing A10 basketball. And they 1) often mention UConn as their dream rival 2) mention wanting Delaware to join. So we have to let a rivalry grow organically. I hold a fine grudge as we owe them back this season for beating us in 2015, and no bowl eligibilty.

3 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Reading through the UMass forums, their fans are not looking at any rivalry yet. The general view is the midwest conference and distances, and losing A10 basketball. And they 1) often mention UConn as their dream rival 2) mention wanting Delaware to join. So we have to let a rivalry grow organically. I hold a fine grudge as we owe them back this season for beating us in 2015, and no bowl eligibilty.

They're just like us. Similar size, public institution, similar expenditures, exposure, and completely delusional fans. We were meant for each other.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2024 at 2:50 PM, BrooklynBull said:

I prefer Molson Golden to either of these two.

At what level do you think the Ivy League plays football?

Ivy League is FCS but Ivy League matches up with the politics of New York State which controls SUNY which controls UB spending and support money wise. Any school in the SUNY system will never be a Power athletics school because New York State doesn’t want it. UB chance of that ever happening died when UB joined SUNY and Syracuse wisely did not in 1963 and when UB dropped football in 1971 read the two major newspapers at the time in Buffalo. They ripped New York State and SUNY apart for that decision saying that New York State really didn’t believe in Buffalo to come up with a couple hundred thousand dollars in a 90 million dollar budget or whatever it was. That is when we had real journalism now it’s just a bunch of nonsense our only newspaper today is published in Cleveland. So journalism is gone with the exception of a few old social media posters like myself that are old, critical and don’t go by the wolf pack mentality and tell it like it is. It’s never happening and UB alums/fans can fight it all they want and make up fake new names for UB like New York Bulls but the New York State political one party rule is stronger than it has ever been in my 56 years plus living in Buffalo. Ivy League politics matches New York State politics and hence SUNY core values and mission. I am not knocking it I am just speaking what people are thinking but because of wolf pack mentality cancel culture anyone that speaks up independently today.

I am saying give up and let New York State run the UB Bulls football program into the ground. Like you are seeing at California-Berkeley Golden Bears football there Power Conference world in sports is over. They can thank the politics of Berkeley for some of that. Too many protesting a tree being removed for the football stadium renovation crazy stuff like that over the years while USC and UCLA were planning there exit strategy from the PAC 12 Conference for the Big Ten Conference. Look the nonsense radical crappola is the end of anything power conferences anything. Protesting is just going to land you broke and with a prison record while the rest of us are looking to make a dollar working. While these idiots are protesting a tree business is being conducted to grow their business same way with individuals. UB is more crazy Cal than USC unfortunately. Again I am not knocking it knock yourself out going to jail while the real world is working earning a living. UB is never going to be a power school. When you have UB alums fighting selling beer at games for years it shows UB institutionally isn’t a power school to grow business in. Enjoy the Ivy League because reality that is where Berkeley, the whole SUNY four centers belong athletically. Or that Division III conference that NYU, Chicago and John Hopkins are in. UB can pat themselves on the back they stopped beer sales at UB Stadium and saved the lite bright video board along with the track at the UB Donors event. Where they can sit in their own bubble patting themselves on the back because they think they are the smartest people in the room. While rest of the real world and major college sports world has moved on. If UB alums/fans can’t see it’s over I don’t know what they are watching.

Mark Schmidt at St Bonaventure Bonnies according to on report I saw is making $1.8 million dollars a year. No wonder he stays. Plus the Bonnies pay NIL. When this is some kind of debate at UB donors meetings with NIL and not paying head coaches for their success to maintain them at UB. It says it all it’s over power conference wise for UB join the Ivy Conference or the NYU conference and call it a day. Frankly it’s what the UB President and the people with the real power in SUNY really want anyway. Why fight it good luck in the Ivy League UB, SUNY and New York State’s true desires. If UB got invited to the Ivy League New York State and SUNY officials would be patting themselves on the back. There would be a huge party at UB with the Governor at the time saying this is wonderful, wonderful what college athletics is all about no beer would be served of course we can’t have that at our UB what about the liability? I am telling it like it really is for UB athletics future we aren’t even competitive in men’s basketball anymore in the MAC politics did that UB did that enjoy George Halcovage III who turned UB men’s basketball into a laughing stock in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

57 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

When you have UB alums fighting selling beer at games

When this debate was first going on you were in favor of beer sales.  After the game against Baylor, without beer sales, you came out against beer sales.  Now you are for them.  Well what is it and why do you keep changing you position?

59 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

not paying head coaches for their success to maintain them at UB

Where is UB going to get the money to keep the coaches?  Do you think St. Bonaventure would be able to keep Schmidt if Alabama offered him the money they offered Nate Oats?  Linguist now has a base salary of $875,000.00, also at Alabama.  That was more than double his base salary at UB.

As for being able to go to the community to keep a coach, who is looking a huge payday, it is not going to be in Buffalo. When Brian Kelly had his first big season in Cincinnati, the school was able to reach and and raise a lot of money to keep him for another year.  According to industry sources, they were able to raise that type of money because the people in the Cincinnati area are more generous than the people in Buffalo.  However, even with that generosity they could only keep Kelly one more year as he left for greener pastures (pun intended) after the next season.  Is the Buffalo area more generous than it was 15 years ago, maybe, but not enough to keep coaches when another school rolls ups a Brinks truck.

1 hour ago, UB Horns Up said:

If UB got invited to the Ivy League

The Ivy League maybe the only conference that is more stable than the MAC.  No expansion and no departures.

"Two Amhersts? UMass, Buffalo eyeing potential rivalry in MAC". March 19th article and the last part of the article, talking about how to make it formal.
https://www.gazettenet.com/Future-MAC-rivals-UMass-and-Buffalo-want-Amherst-trophy-54382431

They say yes.

With UMass’s entrance into the Mid-American Conference for the 2025-26 academic year, the Minutemen are going to need some new rivals. And the athletic directors at UMass and Buffalo are already working on it.

Buffalo’s North campus, which contains its academic core and athletic facilities, isn’t actually in the city of Buffalo itself. It’s in a neighboring suburb, Amherst. And though the two Amhersts are a shade under 400 miles and six hours apart, Buffalo represents UMass’ closest geographic rival in the MAC.

“I think there’s some awesome, magical things that could happen with that,” UMass athletic director Ryan Bamford said after the MAC entrance press conference earlier this month. “Obviously we’re both Amherst and flagship state universities and all those things. We’ve talked already about potentially getting our governors involved. We both have two female governors who both like athletics.”

In an interview with The Buffalo News on March 1, Buffalo athletic director Mark Alnutt proposed an “Amherst trophy” the two schools could compete over.

“I think it would be a great rival of ours, too,” Alnutt told The Buffalo News. “When you look at the MAC, you look at schools that have those natural rivalries, like Akron-Kent State, the Michigans, all three together, Bowling Green-Toledo and Miami (Ohio)-Ohio.”
Bamford has already had preliminary discussions with Alnutt about the future of their rivalry, and said they’d like to create a trophy, whether formally or informally, within the next year. 

Alnutt’s son Mason, a football recruit in the class of 2025, will be taking college visits over the next several months. Bamford said when Alnutt travels to the area, they’re planning on connecting and hashing out what a rivalry between the two Amhersts might look like.

“I think that would be kind of fun, for us to go in and already have an established (trophy),” Bamford said. “Whether it’s a cup, or some design.”

• Like 4

On 3/19/2024 at 4:48 AM, UB Horns Up said:

Ivy League is FCS but Ivy League matches up with the politics of New York State which controls SUNY which controls UB spending and support money wise. Any school in the SUNY system will never be a Power athletics school because New York State doesn’t want it. UB chance of that ever happening died when UB joined SUNY and Syracuse wisely did not in 1963 and when UB dropped football in 1971 read the two major newspapers at the time in Buffalo. They ripped New York State and SUNY apart for that decision saying that New York State really didn’t believe in Buffalo to come up with a couple hundred thousand dollars in a 90 million dollar budget or whatever it was. That is when we had real journalism now it’s just a bunch of nonsense our only newspaper today is published in Cleveland. So journalism is gone with the exception of a few old social media posters like myself that are old, critical and don’t go by the wolf pack mentality and tell it like it is. It’s never happening and UB alums/fans can fight it all they want and make up fake new names for UB like New York Bulls but the New York State political one party rule is stronger than it has ever been in my 56 years plus living in Buffalo. Ivy League politics matches New York State politics and hence SUNY core values and mission. I am not knocking it I am just speaking what people are thinking but because of wolf pack mentality cancel culture anyone that speaks up independently today.

I am saying give up and let New York State run the UB Bulls football program into the ground. Like you are seeing at California-Berkeley Golden Bears football there Power Conference world in sports is over. They can thank the politics of Berkeley for some of that. Too many protesting a tree being removed for the football stadium renovation crazy stuff like that over the years while USC and UCLA were planning there exit strategy from the PAC 12 Conference for the Big Ten Conference. Look the nonsense radical crappola is the end of anything power conferences anything. Protesting is just going to land you broke and with a prison record while the rest of us are looking to make a dollar working. While these idiots are protesting a tree business is being conducted to grow their business same way with individuals. UB is more crazy Cal than USC unfortunately. Again I am not knocking it knock yourself out going to jail while the real world is working earning a living. UB is never going to be a power school. When you have UB alums fighting selling beer at games for years it shows UB institutionally isn’t a power school to grow business in. Enjoy the Ivy League because reality that is where Berkeley, the whole SUNY four centers belong athletically. Or that Division III conference that NYU, Chicago and John Hopkins are in. UB can pat themselves on the back they stopped beer sales at UB Stadium and saved the lite bright video board along with the track at the UB Donors event. Where they can sit in their own bubble patting themselves on the back because they think they are the smartest people in the room. While rest of the real world and major college sports world has moved on. If UB alums/fans can’t see it’s over I don’t know what they are watching.

Mark Schmidt at St Bonaventure Bonnies according to on report I saw is making $1.8 million dollars a year. No wonder he stays. Plus the Bonnies pay NIL. When this is some kind of debate at UB donors meetings with NIL and not paying head coaches for their success to maintain them at UB. It says it all it’s over power conference wise for UB join the Ivy Conference or the NYU conference and call it a day. Frankly it’s what the UB President and the people with the real power in SUNY really want anyway. Why fight it good luck in the Ivy League UB, SUNY and New York State’s true desires. If UB got invited to the Ivy League New York State and SUNY officials would be patting themselves on the back. There would be a huge party at UB with the Governor at the time saying this is wonderful, wonderful what college athletics is all about no beer would be served of course we can’t have that at our UB what about the liability? I am telling it like it really is for UB athletics future we aren’t even competitive in men’s basketball anymore in the MAC politics did that UB did that enjoy George Halcovage III who turned UB men’s basketball into a laughing stock in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

The Ivy League doesn't add anyone. You either we're always part of it or never will be.

• Like 1