Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Positive UB Fan Coach Talk Thread

I’m starting to lean towards a bigger name. Mike Anderson, Tim Miles, Avery Johnson 😉 unfortunately we haven’t heard anything except a rumor that we reached out to Anderson. 

It sounds like Lanier could be a good get, but I’ll admit failing at sienna scares me off a little. The fact that he spent the next decade learning from the biggest names in the business could serve him well though, and all indications are he’s a great recruiter 

1 minute ago, UB05 said:

I’m starting to lean towards a bigger name. Mike Anderson, Tim Miles, Avery Johnson 😉 unfortunately we haven’t heard anything except a rumor that we reached out to Anderson. 

It sounds like Lanier could be a good get, but I’ll admit failing at sienna scares me off a little. The fact that he spent the next decade learning from the biggest names in the business could serve him well though, and all indications are he’s a great recruiter 

I initially was concerned about the Siena job too, but he got that job 18 years ago.  At the age of 32.  I think he's deserving of another shot.  Kinda neutral on him at the moment.

Amazing that since 2001 in Football and M. Basketball, we've only had 8 coaches

Hofher -> Gill -> Quinn -> Lance

Spoon -> Hurley -> Oats - > New person

In the overall scheme of things that's pretty good...especially as 3 of the last 4 departures were to major jobs and not firings...

In that time Pitt had 5 Football coaches and 4 Basketball Coaches despite being major...

And I think we had a better Football and Basketball season this year than the Panthers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rma said:

I initially was concerned about the Siena job too, but he got that job 18 years ago.  At the age of 32.  I think he's deserving of another shot.  Kinda neutral on him at the moment.

Thank you. That was a long time ago. And who says he failed? He took them to a NCAA tournament and won an opening round game before losing to eventual national champs. Backed it up going to 3 rounds deep into an NIT. He’s highly regarded currently as an assistant and recruiter on a good SEC team. We can do a lot worse than him.

I like the idea of Lanier and Oliver coming home from Tennessee together. I didn't know their story, but if we could get both of them together, that would be a great sign as far as their willingness to build... 

If Lanier came and Oliver didn't I'd be a little concerned that it's just a rental.

I was scared by Lanier's Siena tenure but I've warmed up to it, since then 13 years of experience at 4 different power programs. If he can recruit that alone can get the job done in the MAC. Does SUNY have any type of faculty children attend free type of deal? Buddy Boeheim is technically a walk-on at Cuse I believe due to something similar. If we get Lanier and his son comes a 14th scholarship (quality) player certainly wouldn't hurt a new coach.

1 hour ago, rma said:

Yeah, a 32 year old known for his recruiting isnt likely to succeed as a head coach. But after all his experience he has since then, he should be ready. 

12 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Yeah, a 32 year old known for his recruiting isnt likely to succeed as a head coach. But after all his experience he has since then, he should be ready. 

Yeah, he went and found a bunch of P5 success and recruited a bunch of NBA players. 

Honestly. he sounds like where Hodgson is today in his career. 

5 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

Amazing that since 2001 in Football and M. Basketball, we've only had 8 coaches

Hofher -> Gill -> Quinn -> Lance

Spoon -> Hurley -> Oats - > New person

In the overall scheme of things that's pretty good...especially as 3 of the last 4 departures were to major jobs and not firings...

In that time Pitt had 5 Football coaches and 4 Basketball Coaches despite being major...

And I think we had a better Football and Basketball season this year than the Panthers.

This is the positivity I needed right now 

• Like 1

Just about every person on this board has expected since they became a UB fan that Buffalo would continue to be a middle of the road MAC school for the foreseeable future.  MAYBE, decades down the line they would find a way to move up a conference or two.  Our dream was always to just win a dang conference title or two and be one of the best programs in the conference consistently.

In the last 5 years the men have won 4 conferences titles, won two games in the NCAA tournament vs. Arizona and ASU.  Beat Syracuse in Syracuse.  Beat WVU in Morgantown.  Had a 32 win season with only 4 losses.  Essentially went pole to pole in the AP and Coaches Top 25.  Finished the season ranked #15 in the NET.

In the last 5 years the women have won 2 conference titles and have been to 3 NCAA tournaments (1 as an at-large!).  They have won 3 tournament games and made the Sweet Sixteen last year.  They played the closest game UCONN has ever played in the round of 32 in literally a decade or two.  The finished last season ranked in the top 25 and may again this year.  

Tell me with a straight face, that you ever thought those things would happen with Buffalo basketball.  Not, "Oh I knew they were capable one day", but you legitimately though, yes, this should, and will happen.  If you say you saw this coming, you're likely a liar.  

For me and I know many others, we obviously want to build on this success and make it more than a flash in the pan, but this was also our "one before I die moment".  To me, this insane run UB has been on it damn near as important to me as a Bills Super Bowl or Sabres Cup win would be.   

There is your positivitiy. It's hard to have any for the future right now, but make a good hire, and it can happen.  Let's see.  But by looking too far forward we overlook what we just experienced.  

Edited by UBigbobby
  • Like 1

I think a lot of the negativity stems from us being more used to the bottom 25 than the top 25.

Post Reggie, it was like who is really gonna come to UB and be an upgrade.  Answer was a hungry ex-Duke star, and a really good undiscovered high school coach.

Post Oats, who wouldn't want to come to UB. 6k fans, media attention, proven ability to build a "Gonzaga of the East" OR "Get your resume right for the P5"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

I think a lot of the negativity stems from us being more used to the bottom 25 than the top 25.

Post Reggie, it was like who is really gonna come to UB and be an upgrade.  Answer was a hungry ex-Duke star, and a really good undiscovered high school coach.

Post Oats, who wouldn't want to come to UB. 6k fans, media attention, proven ability to build a "Gonzaga of the East" OR "Get your resume right for the P5"

I don't know that we have been near the bottom 25 ever, not even in our early MAC days, but your point is well taken. I don't think we should rush this hire, whether it is internal, Lanier, or someone else (who may still be coaching in the tournament or not). 

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I don't think we should rush this hire, whether it is internal, Lanier, or someone else (who may still be coaching in the tournament or not). 

Im more in that camp now. The initial Oats shock has worn off for me, In actually having fun/excited about the hiring process now.

The amazing season we just had has started really sink in. And now im enjoying this honestly. Maybe the first 24 hours of the Oats departure was a bit tough but that was the only tiny part of this season I wasn't smiling ear to ear.

I like most of the talked about coaching candidates and can't wait to get started again on next season.

Most of the other threads have a lot of noise in them from people trying to sort their emotions on how they feel about Oats. To me there was a grieving day or 2 for that. But the real meat here was this insane season and this upcoming bright future.

7 hours ago, UBigbobby said:

Tell me with a straight face, that you ever thought those things would happen with Buffalo basketball.  Not, "Oh I knew they were capable one day", but you legitimately though, yes, this should, and will happen.  If you say you saw this coming, you're likely a liar.  

Wouldn’t have predicted it exactly. But expected similar results. Actually thought it would have happened faster. More like USF or UCF. 

People act like we didn’t have good years prior and strong crowds prior.  

Here are a few that looked like the program was turning the corner. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/buffalo/2005-schedule.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/buffalo/2009-schedule.html

Edited by dutchcountry7
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Im more in that camp now. The initial Oats shock has worn off for me, In actually having fun/excited about the hiring process now.

The amazing season we just had has started really sink in. And now im enjoying this honestly. Maybe the first 24 hours of the Oats departure was a bit tough but that was the only tiny part of this season I wasn't smiling ear to ear.

I like most of the talked about coaching candidates and can't wait to get started again on next season.

Most of the other threads have a lot of noise in them from people trying to sort their emotions on how they feel about Oats. To me there was a grieving day or 2 for that. But the real meat here was this insane season and this upcoming bright future.

I may be past the shock, but I'm nowhere near enjoying this. At the same time, we need to make an educated selection and this hire could be the biggest decision in Mark Alnutt's AD career,  now or ever, as this is his first real test. I'm quite pleased that he is taking his time thus far.

40 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Wouldn’t have predicted it exactly. But expected similar results. Actually thought it would have happened faster. More like USF or UCF. 

People act like we didn’t have good years prior and strong crowds prior.  

Here are a few that looked like the program was turning the corner. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/buffalo/2005-schedule.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/buffalo/2009-schedule.html

2005 never happened. Still hate Ohio. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, UBigbobby said:

Just about every person on this board has expected since they became a UB fan that Buffalo would continue to be a middle of the road MAC school for the foreseeable future.  MAYBE, decades down the line they would find a way to move up a conference or two.  Our dream was always to just win a dang conference title or two and be one of the best programs in the conference consistently.

In the last 5 years the men have won 4 conferences titles, won two games in the NCAA tournament vs. Arizona and ASU.  Beat Syracuse in Syracuse.  Beat WVU in Morgantown.  Had a 32 win season with only 4 losses.  Essentially went pole to pole in the AP and Coaches Top 25.  Finished the season ranked #15 in the NET.

In the last 5 years the women have won 2 conference titles and have been to 3 NCAA tournaments (1 as an at-large!).  They have won 3 tournament games and made the Sweet Sixteen last year.  They played the closest game UCONN has ever played in the round of 32 in literally a decade or two.  The finished last season ranked in the top 25 and may again this year.  

Nope, this has felt like a long time coming. I went to UB in the mid continent conf days, and even then, it seemed like basketball had a lot of potential. 

Now, if you're talking football... 😛

6 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Any thoughts about us waiting for Michigan state to lose so we can interview Fife? Rumor has it he’s turned down head coaching gigs before (Duquesne), but maybe he listens to Alnutt’s pitch and gives us a go 

If not, take a run at Scheyer. I'd be game with looking at either.