Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB Wins If Oats Were Coach With His Recruits

UB92

How many wins would UB have if Oats was still coach and had his draft class here?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins would UB have if Oats was still coach and had his draft class here? We are currently 5 - 3.

• 4 wins
    • 5 wins
    • 6 wins
    • 7 wins
    • 8 wins

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/2019 at 04:26 AM

We are 8 games into the season.  UB is 5 - 3.  After last night's loss there is a lot of exasperation.  However, I wanted people to think about this question and put it into perspective.

If Nate Oats were still coach and he had his recruits here, what do you think UB's record would be?  After all, he would still field a team without CJ, Perkins, Harris, Caruthers and McRae.

52 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

What is the point of this thread?  Eight games in and you are basically looking for a change of coaches already.

I am not sure how you read "coaching change" into this thread, especially after what was provided in the last sentence above.

At any rate, the purpose of this thread (if you read the other one) was to temper expectations.  My conjecture is that Oats' would be struggling with a UB team this year that had the same returning guys and his recruits, but didn't have the five seniors that graduated.  In other words, maybe we still have only five wins.  I wonder what others think.

• Like 1

I didn't look at it that way, Brook.  I just think 92 is getting peoples' thoughts on where they feel we would have been if Coach Oats was still here.  Personally, I think we'd be at pretty much the same record.  I will say that the title is a bit misleading.  I clicked on it (in anger)  to see why 92 thought that we would have won last night if Oats was still the coach.  What I found was something altogether different.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, fosterclogfear said:

I'll play along... Let's see,.. Brock, Fagan and Rojas are out. Andre Allen has averaged 3 minutes and zero points while playing 4 of  7 games for Hurley. Hawkins has barely sniffed the court at Bama and Noah Williams is averaging one point while playing 4 of 7 games at WSU. Nuff said.

I bet Hawkins transfer out of Bama. Pudgy big men do not work in the SEC.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 961819 said:

But they work pretty well in the MAC 

They only work in the MAC if they are good players to begin with.  I am starting to see that class was extremely over rated and i think we are fine without them.  Give me Mballa over Hawkins any day of the week,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Charles Barkley, the Round Mound of Rebound.

I’m talking about today. Hawkins at best makes an impact in years 2, 3 and 4. In that time Oats will still be recruiting better players who can make an impact sooner. Bc let’s face it, Oats only has 4 years. So he can’t wait on Hawkins

16 minutes ago, UB85 said:

I like Mballa and am happy he's here. But bad mouthing Hawkins is foolish. He's playing in the SEC and we're in the MAC. To speculate how he would be doing here is foolish imo.

I’m not bad mouthing him. Simple saying he was and is a work in progress. I’m sure if he was here many in this board would be disappointed with him. Point is big men take longer to develop. And even before he got here his body needed development. Yet I’m sure many here would’ve expected him to be Perkins from day 1. Relating this all to where he currently is, big time programs don’t have time to wait. Especially in Nate’s case where he has to win sooner than later and also has stepped up in the world of recruiting to 4 and 5 stars players. Not 3 stars. If Nate brings in 3 star players he will be fired quickly. That’s SEC life. It’s a big boy conference. Maybe even the best conference. Between them and the ACC. Facts.

I also love Mballa. And would have loved Hawkins to be here. Wish him the best. But grass ain’t always greener on the other side.

Edited by DooleyBull06

1 hour ago, BullBoy said:

They only work in the MAC if they are good players to begin with.  I am starting to see that class was extremely over rated and i think we are fine without them.  Give me Mballa over Hawkins any day of the week,

I agree with that, I was just making a reference to Perkins when he first came to UB. Pudgy kid that could shoot 3s that worked out pretty well for us 

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Was Perkins considered pudgy though? I thought he was rather athletic built. 

His own words on senior night “I was a fat kid that could kinda shoot 3s and you all turned me into a beast” I never thought he was all that heavy tbh 

• Like 1

Poll is now closed.

Results:

N = 24

Mode:  6
Weighted Mean:  6.2

I suspect the Dartmouth game is one where people think Oats (and his recruits) would have been able to pull out.  A few more people beyond that had more optimism, then, about another game we could have gotten (whether it was Vandy or UConn).