Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

7 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

That’s the 3rd altercation I’ve seen in the women’s tournaments this YEAR! This is the worst so far. Must be some serious trash talking or we are seeing the results of kids not being able to handle failure gracefully since we don’t teach that anymore.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

He must really wanna play for Paulus, otherwise this is random and a step backwards.

Bumbalough had a really down year this year. Started scoring a little more toward the end of the season but his ppg declined from 10.9 last year to 2.8.  So probably didn’t have many other options for his extra Covid season. 

4 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

He must really wanna play for Paulus, otherwise this is random and a step backwards.

He had a huge decline in minutes and production this year under Michael Lewis. Niagara will offer him an opportunity to start again and be a key contributor on an improving MAAC squad.

I like the fit for him on the Purple Eagles. He wasn't a great player in the MAC but should be decent in the MAAC.

image.thumb.png.4a556599b46a65271bf902c17588f828.png

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 1

Just now, trueblue32 said:

The bright side is we aren't a farm system for other MAC teams like NIU. In '21 their leading scorer transferred to Ball State, in '22 their second leading scorer transferred to Akron, in '23 their leading assister transfers to Akron.

That silver lining isn't very shiny 😅

54 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Gotta give sparks credit he stuck it out an extra year in the Mac he didn't need and tried the mid major approach 

Or is this the start of the haves and have nots in regards to NIL 

I think NIL is getting to much attention. Not every athlete ad a P5 is getting NIL money. Even then not every one is getting significant money. Even in the P5 schools the money isn't the same. I think there is room for us to complete. 

Were not going to be able to get Arch Manning and his $3 mil+ in NIL. But then again we were never going to get him anyway.  But the 7th or 8th guy off the bench at Duke who NIL might be a couple thousand. We can compete with by offering more money and more playing time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, everlast2504 said:

I think NIL is getting to much attention. Not every athlete ad a P5 is getting NIL money. Even then not every one is getting significant money. Even in the P5 schools the money isn't the same. I think there is room for us to complete. 

Were not going to be able to get Arch Manning and his $3 mil+ in NIL. But then again we were never going to get him anyway.  But the 7th or 8th guy off the bench at Duke who NIL might be a couple thousand. We can compete with by offering more money and more playing time. 

I agree. Educate me. What benefit does NIL have on a mid-major player?  I just can't seen there being that much benefits involved except to maybe a top mid-major player (which none of the current UB players will ever be). I assume the NIL money comes from sponsors and not from the schools.

Edited by bullsbball

NIL money, other than the top 1% of 1% is coming via donors who have started collectives. The collective is a private entity who raises money and pays players to do meet and greets, community service, autographs, etc. It’s pay for play bc the athlete has no real market value. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

NIL money, other than the top 1% of 1% is coming via donors who have started collectives. The collective is a private entity who raises money and pays players to do meet and greets, community service, autographs, etc. It’s pay for play bc the athlete has no real market value. 

It's legalizing (in the mind of the NCAA) what was already happening in the shadows. Similarly the NFL has gambling sites as their largest sponsor and most ads, but they don't collude on anything. It's more smoke and mirrors to not feel as morally depraved as they actually are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

It's legalizing (in the mind of the NCAA) what was already happening in the shadows. Similarly the NFL has gambling sites as their largest sponsor and most ads, but they don't collude on anything. It's more smoke and mirrors to not feel as morally depraved as they actually are.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/35982360/building-college-football-roster-transfer-portal-nil-juco

Great article regarding the portal and NIL. About football but relates to all college sports. 

The MAC announced its All-Academic MBB team this week:

https://getsomemaction.com/news/2023/3/28/mens-basketball-academic-all-mac-team-announced.aspx

Sort of embarrassing that UB was 1 of only 4 schools not to have at least 1 player selected.  I realize the main objective here is to win, but it’d be nice if the new Coach makes it a priority to have more of our players earn honors like this. Go Bulls! 🤘