Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

8 hours ago, MuchMany said:

I know we've had the conversation a hundred times but the current transfer system is rotten. Fans having to hope that "Hill will consider a return to BGSU as he explores his options" is a crummy spot to be in. Having to rerecruit your stars every year is a thankless one-way relationship. 

While I appreciate the players embracing the opportunity for "empowerment," there is a correction coming. A semi-pro sport with uninhibited free agent movement will not have longevity. Time will tell, people don't want to root for a random collection of mercenaries every year. Fans and donors make the world of college sports go 'round and fans are getting shorted right now. Without our dollars, college kids could absolutely play basketball with each other, but no one would care, pay, or watch. A fan union might be in order to remind players, coaches, ADs, etc who's really the boss. 

So I get the initial raw emotion but here is a fact regarding athletic scholarships (NLI),they are year to year.  Coaches have long used this as a means to move players off teams for "better talent" at the approval of fans. And the schools have no obligation to honor the scholarship if/when a coach makes that decision to not pickup the next year.  So now when student athletes have a level or slight advantage of a situation its abhorrently bad?  If your talent sets a market value and the rules allow you to move, its up to the coach to have that relationship and resources to convince the player to stay. Not all athletes are skilled enough to set a market value but those that are good for them.  

Edited by NC_UBfan

18 minutes ago, NC_UBfan said:

So I get the initial raw emotion but here is a fact regarding athletic scholarships (NLI),they are year to year.  Coaches have long used this as a means to move players off teams for "better talent" at the approval of fans. And the schools have no obligation to honor the scholarship if/when a coach makes that decision to not pickup the next year.  So now when student athletes have a level or slight advantage of a situation its abhorrently bad?  If your talent sets a market value and the rules allow you to move, its up to the coach to have that relationship and resources to convince the player to stay. Not all athletes are skilled enough to set a market value but those that are good for them.  

I guess they may as well grab what they can. A very small number of transferring players are going to the NBA, some may play professionally abroad. It is a shame though that the college experience is being diminished. There are definitely players in the wrong situation, I get that and they should be able to find a better fit, but i seriously doubt 800 players are in the wrong situation.

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

I guess they may as well grab what they can. A very small number of transferring players are going to the NBA, some may play professionally abroad. It is a shame though that the college experience is being diminished. There are definitely players in the wrong situation, I get that and they should be able to find a better fit, but i seriously doubt 800 players are in the wrong situation.

I think eventually and likely pretty soon if it isn't already there, going in the portal will be the equivalent of having a resume on indeed or LinkedIn where employers can contact you.

At the end of the day, take care of your own and transfers will be minimal 

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

Oh I agree there are many young adults (18-20) who are making not bad but ill-informed decisions. I mean we were all  18-21 at some point and I know for a fact some of my worst decisions came then.  The stakes are high,  end of season emotions are probably running higher and if they don't have a solid support system in place to help navigate this new era end result can be missing out on the collegiate athlete experience.  NCAA has a some good metrics regarding players in the portal, 23% MBB are not playing since entering portal. I would hope a broad range of information is provided to help guide these kids decision making.
https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2022/4/25/transfer-portal-data-division-i-student-athlete-transfer-trends.aspx

3 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Toledo dodges another bullet and keeps Kowalczyk. Our old target Calhoun from Youngstown State gets the job out west. 

Do you think he was interested, or is he just satisfied at Toledo?

12 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Do you think he was interested, or is he just satisfied at Toledo?

Unless Goodman is full of it, he must have been interested. I guess Calhoun really impressed despite the lack of tournament bids. Imagine that would have been Tod's ace in the hole if Toledo had even gotten there once in his tenure, and as it stands can't blame either for being keen on getting out of their current situations for a league that just got 6 bids.

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I must be missing something.  Incarnate Word is annually ranked near bottom of D1...They have a NIL up and running?

Certainly an interesting choice. Former HS or AAU connection involved? If not it seems like NIL would be the most likely bet.

20 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Certainly an interesting choice. Former HS or AAU connection involved? If not it seems like NIL would be the most likely bet.

I searched notable alumni of Incarnate Word and David Robinson came up.  He got a master's there in 2011.  Maybe a source of some NIL funds?

4 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Hearing some rumors Toledo is chasing Adams and offering him a bag. Will be interesting to see where he ends up. 

He would fit in well there

Hope he doesn't go there though because I want to actually have another interested/rootable team next year to go along with UB 

5 hours ago, Tee4three said:

He would fit in well there

Hope he doesn't go there though because I want to actually have another interested/rootable team next year to go along with UB 

I guess they were impressed with his hustle, defensive abilities and what a great teammate he was.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Maybe Hurley recommended him.

Batchelor committing to UB and Green committing to BGSU have a similar feel to me.  Both players looking for a new opportunity who didn't get much playing time at P5 schools.  We will have to wait and see how they fare in MAC.

• Like 1