Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Unlikely Top 25s

ubmae86

Anybody else watching this Houston game? They are crazy good and they stadium is everything I wish alumni could be.

The couple of top 25 teams that are mid majors are all pretty impressive this season and it's great to watch their fans with as much enthusiasm as we have

Edited by ubmae86
  • Like 1

I was watching this game.  Houston is a good team that will be dangerous come March.  Now on to their arena...I believe the graphic said it cost 60 million to renovate and they got 20 million in one donation from Tilman Fertitta (who owns the Rockets).  It seats about 7,000 and has all the bells and whistles.  No doubt its gorgeous but lets keep in mind, they got 20 million in one donation.  One third the total cost to renovate.  Heck I wish we could just get 10 million bucks in donations for a new practice facility.  If we had boosters with deep pockets we'd be just like everyone else.  For now we have a really good team and we must fill AA 6k strong every home game.  Maybe one day we can renovate Alumni.  Or perhaps play some games at KeyBank.  We can all dream, unless someone comes in with a massive donation like Fertitta did for Houston.

30 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I was watching this game.  Houston is a good team that will be dangerous come March.  Now on to their arena...I believe the graphic said it cost 60 million to renovate and they got 20 million in one donation from Tilman Fertitta (who owns the Rockets).  It seats about 7,000 and has all the bells and whistles.  No doubt its gorgeous but lets keep in mind, they got 20 million in one donation.  One third the total cost to renovate.  Heck I wish we could just get 10 million bucks in donations for a new practice facility.  If we had boosters with deep pockets we'd be just like everyone else.  For now we have a really good team and we must fill AA 6k strong every home game.  Maybe one day we can renovate Alumni.  Or perhaps play some games at KeyBank.  We can all dream, unless someone comes in with a massive donation like Fertitta did for Houston.

Maybe the Pegulas should consider making a generous investment. 😄 

Interestingly, Fertitta went to Texas Tech, left went home to Houston and then dropped out to be an entrepreneur...making his first million in what would have been his senior year.

Maybe instead of throwing money at a facility, we should just start a UB Athletics Innovation incubator.

Edited by bull_trojan
  • Haha 1

This kinda brings up a point I’ve thought about for a while. UB hasn’t had much sustained success ever. We had the football seasons of 2008 and then the Mack season but not until recently has more consistent basketball success. I’m thinking/hoping that people who went to the school more recently and go on in life to be more successful will have the means to donate back to the athletic program. I know personally I’m a graduate but still not really in a position to donate anything other than a ticket to a game here and there but fully plan on being a consistent donor once I’m fully in my career and have the means. Makes you wonder if down the road after some continued success could pay massive dividends. 

Or maybe one of us wins the lotto like someone else said elsewhere and they can just pay for the practice facility and digging up the track 

I agree with you wearub. Even when the team wasn't successful, I always wish I was in a better financial position to donate. I'd love to help the school improve it's facilities to bring higher level recruits. Maybe some day I can, but until then, I'm going to have just keep supporting with what ever ways I can.

2 hours ago, weareub46 said:

This kinda brings up a point I’ve thought about for a while. UB hasn’t had much sustained success ever. We had the football seasons of 2008 and then the Mack season but not until recently has more consistent basketball success. I’m thinking/hoping that people who went to the school more recently and go on in life to be more successful will have the means to donate back to the athletic program.

Exactly, and that applies with any major college sport, football or basketball. In basketball we've had 4-5 years of success but it's not long enough to have a well-established fan base in the area to care enough, especially in the area that we live in.

In the last 10 years in football, we've now had like, 3 good years? Which is not good, especially in the MAC. Certainly isn't close to being good enough to build and sustain a fan base in the school and the community. 

I've been saying it for a while, for something like basketball to succeed in WNY, they have to keep winning, and they have to win a lot. Like what they're doing right now. Sooner or later, with the success basketball is having. People are slowly going to come around. It's just, WNY is an area with no college tradition or culture, and for good reason.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:51 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

How does an AAU school not have alumni with deep pockets...  Even D3 schools can raise money for athletic facilities...

14 minutes ago, rma said:

Jeremy Jacobs being the prime example. 

The decision to go D3 hurt us for decades longer than we were actually D3. The generation that has a ton of money now went to school when there was no sports culture.

As someone who spent my last three years at UB the first three years of Division III i can tell you there was a dedicated fan base that at times appears to have been stronger than the fan base until a few years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Terry went to Penn State, and Kim to Houghton. Not surprising on either count.

The Jacobs family has donated over $50M to the University, Jeremy Sr is an alum. 

None of the other billionaires in Upstate have a real connection to the school. Maybe Golisano, I saw him at a football game in '07. 

3 hours ago, BrazenBull said:

Terry went to Penn State, and Kim to Houghton. Not surprising on either count.

The Jacobs family has donated over $50M to the University, Jeremy Sr is an alum. 

None of the other billionaires in Upstate have a real connection to the school. Maybe Golisano, I saw him at a football game in '07. 

What about the owners of New Era? Rich Products?

Slightly related, and not intended to reopen the tiresome debate, but Golisano reportedly offered money for UB to change their name to New York State University.

"Mayor Byron Brown and other influential Buffalo residents should be joining former Buffalo Sabres owner Tom Golisano in pushing school officials to push the SUNY system to allow UB to adopt the "New York State" name.

(A few years ago, Golisano reportedly offered to give the university $8 million if they changed their name to New York State.  The gift was conditional reportedly because Golisano felt his money would not have the desired impact without the much better New York State name opening doors for the university.)..."

http://sportsminorityreport.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-strong-case-made-for-university-at.html

1 hour ago, UB77 said:

Slightly related, and not intended to reopen the tiresome debate, but Golisano reportedly offered money for UB to change their name to New York State University.

"Mayor Byron Brown and other influential Buffalo residents should be joining former Buffalo Sabres owner Tom Golisano in pushing school officials to push the SUNY system to allow UB to adopt the "New York State" name.

(A few years ago, Golisano reportedly offered to give the university $8 million if they changed their name to New York State.  The gift was conditional reportedly because Golisano felt his money would not have the desired impact without the much better New York State name opening doors for the university.)..."

http://sportsminorityreport.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-strong-case-made-for-university-at.html

SUNY wouldn’t allow it. They said all the University Centers are equals. 

White tried to force it but it was a failure.