Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ohio/Buffalo

UBinMD

2 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Feels like we’re due for a breakout, all-around solid game. Hopefully there’s a good crowd on hand for a nationally televised Friday night game. GO BULLS!! 🤘

Hope you are right. If don’t win this one than clearly cemented as the 3rd or 4th team in conference. 

7 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Feels like we’re due for a breakout, all-around solid game. Hopefully there’s a good crowd on hand for a nationally televised Friday night game. GO BULLS!! 🤘

That would be wonderful to watch.  This team needs to know it can beat a a top tier MAC team.

We have all been waiting for what this team could do if  Williams plays his typical good game, and Segu returns to form, they get a game where Mballa and Skogman complement each other and they get solid contributions from Brewton / Jack.  Winning games has to be a team effort - this team needs to figure that out.

• Like 1

Nipping at our heels in the standings are the mid-tier MAC teams with much lower NET rankings than UB: Kent, Ball, BG and Miami.  Just above us is Akron who in the past couple weeks barely managed to get past WMU at home by 1 pt….and beat lowly CMU and EMU by a combined 6 pts their last 2 games, averaging 53 pts in the process. Time for UB to play up to expectations and re-assert itself as one of the top 3 MAC teams! 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Nipping at our heels in the standings are the mid-tier MAC teams with much lower NET rankings than UB: Kent, Ball, BG and Miami.  Just above us is Akron who in the past couple weeks barely managed to get past WMU at home by 1 pt….and beat lowly CMU and EMU by a combined 6 pts their last 2 games, averaging 53 pts in the process. Time for UB to play up to expectations and re-assert itself as one of the top 3 MAC teams! 

Agree 100% with your statement 'Time for UB to play up to expectations'

Comparing standings at this point is a bit tricky, as Akron has gone 4-1 at home vs our 2-1.   Also, the quality of opponents is different - here is breakout of records by group:

image.png.9dfe374f2a852127d3f1e51a6f3864c9.png

The loss at Akron is something that will work against us if tiebreaker occurs.  The loss to Miami also hurt - so we will need to beat them on their court.  Most ranking have us a notch above Akron, but w/l is what determines seedings.  More importantly, as you stated, the team needs the 'w' to play closer to our potential.  Preseason we were expected to be where Toledo is,  a win tonight would inch us closer to that expectation.

You’re right, nothing makes sense this year. We have a late lead on the road vs Toledo, only to collapse down the stretch and lose by 11.  Four days before that, a very solid Ohio team gets blown off their home court by Toledo where it was never even close. And Akron beats us handily with plenty of offense, but recently can barely get past the lower tier MAC teams and struggles to score 60 pts. If there’s anything to be said about UB, as inconsistent as the team has played, we’ve been competitive in pretty much every single game this season….just rarely for a full 40 minutes. A little luck here and there and a couple more shots fall in (SFA, SBU, Canisius), instead of 10-7 we could easily be sitting at 13-4 right now….which is exactly what’s driving us all crazy! But there’s still plenty of hope to finish this year strong, with several games coming up against those lower tier teams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bluebird96 said:

You’re right, nothing makes sense this year. We have a late lead on the road vs Toledo, only to collapse down the stretch and lose by 11.  Four days before that, a very solid Ohio team gets blown off their home court by Toledo where it was never even close. And Akron beats us handily with plenty of offense, but recently can barely get past the lower tier MAC teams and struggles to score 60 pts. If there’s anything to be said about UB, as inconsistent as the team has played, we’ve been competitive in pretty much every single game this season….just rarely for a full 40 minutes. A little luck here and there and a couple more shots fall in (SFA, SBU, Canisius), instead of 10-7 we could easily be sitting at 13-4 right now….which is exactly what’s driving us all crazy! But there’s still plenty of hope to finish this year strong, with several games coming up against those lower tier teams.

Totally agree. Just a crazy year that started with high expectations for both our men and women and even Bona. Then with covid and the injury bug and players not playing up to our expectations just one crazy year so far. Can’t let frustration get the best of us and will try to enjoy the joy of watching good athletes perform and keep all in perspective. Let the frustration get to me with the women losing to Ball State and no fouls called on the last play and trying to talk to the Ball State coaches and they just smiled sarcastically. More important to stay healthy and enjoy each day as it comes. Go Bulls!!!

Looking forward to this one tonight. Ohio is a good team and their talent always scares me.

In other news, the North Texas team we beat on the road, which was pooh-poohed by some, is 14-4 and ranked 39 on BT and 69 on KP. That was a victory to be proud of any season. Hopefully we can get back to that form consistently starting tonight.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Looking forward to this one tonight. Ohio is a good team and their talent always scares me.

In other news, the North Texas team we beat on the road, which was pooh-poohed by some, is 14-4 and ranked 39 on BT and 69 on KP. That was a victory to be proud of any season. Hopefully we can get back to that form consistently starting tonight.

I can admit when I’m wrong and I was clearly off when it came to my assessment of North Texas. I thought they were a decent but not great team. In hindsight, that win has been the high point of the Bulls season to this point.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

I did some digging on what team ball looks like and what we all hope to see tonight.

image.png.a634edc930ea257397d27e3bcca8ff81.png

The above stats show the distribution of scoring contributions when the team wins vs a loss - 2018-19 (gold standard) vs 2021-22.  You can clearly see for both seasons when the team relies more on the top 3 people to score - they typically lose.  Another thing that is evident in these stats is we currently have not been getting much beyond the top 6 players.  

6 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

And Akron beats us handily with plenty of offense, but recently can barely get past the lower tier MAC teams and struggles to score 60 pts.

This one is fairly easily explained away when we had Maceo Jack playing center that game. The MAC screwed us by moving that game up to work around teams on COVID pauses when we had COVID cases of our own (and they didn’t even reschedule any games onto that date)

Skogman and Hardnett (clearly he is injured) were our only forwards and we got 29 mins from them and they combined for 9 fouls.

Akron shot 57% from 2 when we allow 49% on the season. Akron rebounded 37% of their missed shots when we allow 28% on the season.

I don’t really have any concerns about Akron in a rematch. Not to take away from your point, we’re certainly inconsistent, but wanted to vent on how dumb that game was lol

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Let me list the excuses…1) it’s snowing 2) the Sabres are playing 3) bla bla bla…it’s pretty clear the community doesn’t care about this team. Just hope students do when they return.

We can’t hit layups, 3s or FT, not good

1 minute ago, 121Merrimac said:

3 years ago, 8 MAC teams averaged more than 2k/home game.

This year?  Only 3.  As much as people want to blame the coach, it's not only Buffalo.

I’m sure a lot of it is covid fatigue also. But come on. We use to have the best game day atmosphere and we use to be top 3, if not the top, drawing MAC school.