Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Title IX - Women Open Tonight

16 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

It was sloppy, but I'll take the birthday gift from the team.

Fair's jab step / step back jumper is very similar to Dillards.

Yep. 2 players looked good today, the rest were rough. Bigs in foul trouble quickly and all game put a hurting on the rotation and game plan I'd assume. A win is a win though.

34 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

It was sloppy, but I'll take the birthday gift from the team.

Fair's jab step / step back jumper is very similar to Dillards.

Happy birthday, CH!

During the game I was wondering what we would look like with Fair and Dillard on the same team.  Unstoppable.

2 hours ago, BasketBull said:

I’d be surprised if Fair doesn’t average 20+ ppg her entire career. She’s going to take a lot of shots as a Bull. She’s going to have to clean up her passing but she could be a great one.

Completely agree.  CCSU's coaches were calling out their players to cover her all game, which is wonderful 🙄.  Last thing we need is opposing teams learn that we have an all star.

Plenty to clean up but when your top post player is injured and your two starting posts play a combined 16 minutes due to foul issues, any win is a good win.

Fair had about as good of a night as one could ask in her first ever collegiate game. I'll take the turnovers if she is going to be that aggressive and confident...they will decrease in time. She also pulled down 10 boards which was huge as the rest of the team struggled mightily rebounding, particularly defensive boards. Again, this will correct itself when Summer returns and if Walters and Adeyeye can stay on the floor.

I thought Christie played admirably with being pressed into 30 minutes, nearly all of which included playing defense at the 5 position. At this point she just doesn't have the strength to consistently win the physical battles inside but she held her own for also being her first game. In time, I would expect her to play more of a wing.

Onwuka was at peak efficiency, 7/11 shooting, 0 turnovers, smothering defense...this is the type of game we will need consistently and I have full confidence we will see it. Hall was forcing shots rather than attacking as she did in the exhibition. I'll chalk it up to a down night. Also, Gaba provided some much needed solid minutes inside and had a nice finish after running the floor on a break and a few good post moves drawing fouls.

Again, a lot to work on but these first 4 or 5 games are all extremely winnable even without Summer. 

8 hours ago, TML1000 said:

She also pulled down 10 boards which was huge as the rest of the team struggled mightily rebounding, particularly defensive boards.

Not at all to discount Fair's play and rebounding which was impressive, but it is mighty easy to pick up defensive rebounds when the opposing team is airballing shots all game

Christie surprised me with her ability to handle the ball.  FLJ used her pretty extensively in the press break.  She wasn't just a person for a guard to pass it to and get the ball right back to a guard.  She seemed competent and comfortable advancing the ball on the dribble.  When Gaba first got on the floor, she looked completely lost.  To the point of looking around with a look on her face of "where should I be now".  She soon settled down and found her place.  She does need to get more aggressive in going after rebounds.  In D1, you're not going to get a lot of rebounds just because you're the tallest one out there.

A bit concerning that combined our forwards and centers accounted for 12 points and 12 rebounds 83 minutes. Hemphill's return (whenever that may be) will be very welcome.

Fair is a revelation. Really happy to see her assist numbers up and her turnovers down this game. If she continues that trend the sky is the limit. 

On 11/9/2019 at 5:58 PM, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Wow 31 from Fair, 24 from Onwuka, 81-67! We are seeing something special! FLJ just reloads!

Anybody know what the freshman scoring record is? I looked a few days ago at the record book, and the highest first year total in the 1k point scorers was Loesing (370).

Regardless, barring injury Fair is going to break that record. 

Edited by rma

7 hours ago, BasketBull said:

A bit concerning that combined our forwards and centers accounted for 12 points and 12 rebounds 83 minutes. Hemphill's return (whenever that may be) will be very welcome.

Fair is a revelation. Really happy to see her assist numbers up and her turnovers down this game. If she continues that trend the sky is the limit. 

Agree Fair is a big time get for us and I can only think she did not go to a bigger school is maybe her size. She looks so poised and even when she makes mistakes or turnovers never seems to show she is out of control. I think Dillard had something to do about getting her to come to UB. Do agree with our forward/center players. Without Hemphill we have very little athleticism and experience. Both Adeyeye and Walters are overally aggressive and are in constant foul trouble. Gaba has no quickness and Christie has very little inside presence and looks like she wants to play outside. Hamilton is strictly an outside shooter with no inside or rebounding presence. Schaffer is another European player who shoots 3’s but looks overwhelmed with the game here. We have to give this group time as it is only a couple games. I really do have confidence in this coaching staff to develop some of these players but only time will tell. Go Bulls!!!!!

Edited by John
Wrong player name

Another tremendous game from Fair and Onwuka. Usually you cannot expect this level of consistency from a freshman but Fair looks poised and confident beyond her years. Hall was much better today as well...a trio of guards all playing well will go a long way for a successful season. The bigs without Summer are still extremely inexperienced but do have to be at least marginally better. Christie is playing out of position on the defensive end as she does not yet have the strength. again, in time I expect her to play more of a Wilkins role for this team and not an outright true post. When Summer returns the entire makeup of the lineup changes and how things can be run with her quickness and matchup problems for opponents on both ends. I will take 8 points and 5 boards from Hamilton any day. Again, 30 minutes is probably asking alot but she was better against NU than in the opener for sure.

We certainly have the guard advantage against Canisius tomorrow but one can never overlook a big 4 opponent. Columbia seems like they will be a bigger test than I originally thought. They are 1-2 but an OT loss to Albany and a loss to a usually solid St Joe's before defeating a Fordham team by 19 who hung with Notre Dame.