Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Toledo Game

Uoftoledofans

2 minutes ago, rma said:

I went there this evening around 5:30 and did not see 3X in stock. There was a place for 2X but they were out of stock or didn't print any. I did not see anything else with the logo besides the shirt. I can stop by again on Wednesday if either of you are interested.

Thanks for looking. 

17 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

They need better merch. Nice designs on quality items that fit well and feel good on.

UB has the worse or should I say, the most non-existent UB Football merchandise.  I've been to many FBS and FCS schools with tons of school logo football gear.  UB gets maybe one Nike and one other non-brand (ugly) shirt per year.  No Hats, Jerseys, Shorts, Coozies, Car Magnets, Dog Leashes, etc.  Don't know who is in charge of merchandising, but it's disgraceful.  If you want to become a well know brand, you need to sell merchandise! 😞

• Thanks 1

Yall are pretty interested in this logo. Did you have a good record when you wore it? I applaud the week before hype and jersey reveal. Toledo has so many combos nothing really surpriases us... but as a quirky fan I love knowing before hand. I hope its not all anyone on the team is interested in though. Toledo broke out pink breast cancer uniforms in 2013 for our biggest game vs. NIU and they kicked our arse.

51 minutes ago, Uoftoledofans said:

Yall are pretty interested in this logo. Did you have a good record when you wore it? I applaud the week before hype and jersey reveal. Toledo has so many combos nothing really surpriases us... but as a quirky fan I love knowing before hand. I hope its not all anyone on the team is interested in though. Toledo broke out pink breast cancer uniforms in 2013 for our biggest game vs. NIU and they kicked our arse.

It was back when we moved to D1, may have been even earlier than that when we were D3. Just a cool look and something new for a big conference game.

2 hours ago, Uoftoledofans said:

Did you have a good record when you wore it?

It was revealed October 1992. Judging by the 1993 record (1-10), it does not appear to bring good luck.

I think a lot of the hype is because the program never does stuff like this. We’ve got white outs and black outs and bobble head giveaways but little that builds on our history*. Plus our merch usually sucks as noted above. I think the only good merch is typically hats because we have New era (kinda) in town here. 

*It’s getting better. One of the dorms was recently renamed to honor a football player who was a long-standing member of the UB community. Retiring #11 in basketball. Keeping the #41 jersey in football as an honor to Solomon Jackson, a member of the team who passed away. 

2 hours ago, Uoftoledofans said:

Basically it is because Buffalo is a professional sports market and we expect more from UB athletics Division I effort wise than Buffalo State athletics which is Division 3. It isn’t 1990’s anymore it is 2022. Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres have more start up companies with nothing much invested wise take off 26 shirts is one example while UB athletics it is amateur hour with too many UB alums explaining way the nonsense that has no logical explanation.

Buffalo people are taking it in there own hands now because UB the so called fine educational institution can’t pass business 101 which is ridiculous. But again UB is not alone in Western New York Big 4 athletics Canisius I am sadly an alum and Niagara are worse than UB with this type of stuff. St Bonaventure Bonnies is the only ones Big 4 wise that get merchandising. Again it is what it is but it is laughable New York Power house when UB can’t sell a UB Throwback t-shirt and hat online with New Era Hat Company in our backyard. I am too weak from MD muscular dystrophy to attend UB home games anymore my last was Nate Oats last home game at UB Alumni Arena as a UB season ticket holder since UB Stadium opened. If I was well enough I would draw the new UB throwback logo on a shopping brown paper bag to hide the shame of the way this UB athletics department conducts business alone with my old UB Bulls throwback glass to tailgate UB athletics stupidity when it comes to UB merchandising it has been a pet peeve for years of mine along with not selling beer which I was able to witness that silly rule change to where UB sells beer at home games and nothing bad happened because beer was sold at UB athletics home games.

Hopefully maybe now Buffalo fans will push UB athletics to change there way of conducting sports business merchandising wise what is good for UB the school and UB athletics are two different things. UB athletics needs to grow revenue any legal way possible or we are done long term in FBS football with NIL this school needs to change there backwards way of thinking in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

Basically it is because Buffalo is a professional sports market and we expect more from UB athletics Division I effort wise than Buffalo State athletics which is Division 3. It isn’t 1990’s anymore it is 2022. Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres have more start up companies with nothing much invested wise take off 26 shirts is one example while UB athletics it is amateur hour with too many UB alums explaining way the nonsense that has no logical explanation.

Buffalo people are taking it in there own hands now because UB the so called fine educational institution can’t pass business 101 which is ridiculous. But again UB is not alone in Western New York Big 4 athletics Canisius I am sadly an alum and Niagara are worse than UB with this type of stuff. St Bonaventure Bonnies is the only ones Big 4 wise that get merchandising. Again it is what it is but it is laughable New York Power house when UB can’t sell a UB Throwback t-shirt and hat online with New Era Hat Company in our backyard. I am too weak from MD muscular dystrophy to attend UB home games anymore my last was Nate Oats last home game at UB Alumni Arena as a UB season ticket holder since UB Stadium opened. If I was well enough I would draw the new UB throwback logo on a shopping brown paper bag to hide the shame of the way this UB athletics department conducts business alone with my old UB Bulls throwback glass to tailgate UB athletics stupidity when it comes to UB merchandising it has been a pet peeve for years of mine along with not selling beer which I was able to witness that silly rule change to where UB sells beer at home games and nothing bad happened because beer was sold at UB athletics home games.

Hopefully maybe now Buffalo fans will push UB athletics to change there way of conducting sports business merchandising wise what is good for UB the school and UB athletics are two different things. UB athletics needs to grow revenue any legal way possible or we are done long term in FBS football with NIL this school needs to change there backwards way of thinking in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Good summary.

50 minutes ago, rma said:

It was revealed October 1992. Judging by the 1993 record (1-10), it does not appear to bring good luck.

I think a lot of the hype is because the program never does stuff like this. We’ve got white outs and black outs and bobble head giveaways but little that builds on our history*. Plus our merch usually sucks as noted above. I think the only good merch is typically hats because we have New era (kinda) in town here. 

*It’s getting better. One of the dorms was recently renamed to honor a football player who was a long-standing member of the UB community. Retiring #11 in basketball. Keeping the #41 jersey in football as an honor to Solomon Jackson, a member of the team who passed away. 

I was a sophomore in 1992 and we just transitioned from D3 to 1-AA (at that time) and got clobbered on a regular basis because we were playing with D3 players. I remember almost beating University of Maine in one of our games only to give up a kick-off return TD. I had a shirt with that logo they shot into the crowd that said UB Bulls Football, It's Wild and Wooly. Lot's of enthusiasm then. That's why I'm a little more tolerant because I know what it looked like when this all started. 🤣🤣 GO BULLS!!🤘🤘

Edited by UBinMD

I think our current uni combos are pretty sharp. Clean, modern, something your would want to wear. The throwbacks could be nice if they are done right. That's the challenge for UB Athletics. I'm sure much of what's wrong is they are a small department compared to other D1's. But how hard is it to organize online sales of a shirt you are promoting online?  High school kids develop their own branded merch and put it online.

17 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I think our current uni combos are pretty sharp. Clean, modern, something your would want to wear. The throwbacks could be nice if they are done right. That's the challenge for UB Athletics. I'm sure much of what's wrong is they are a small department compared to other D1's. But how hard is it to organize online sales of a shirt you are promoting online?  High school kids develop their own branded merch and put it online.

They should hire #38 Damian Jackson once he's done with the season. He has a nice website and sells his own gear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UBinMD said:

It was back when we moved to D1, may have been even earlier than that when we were D3. Just a cool look and something new for a big conference game.

I know I have an intramural champions shirt with this logo.  It may have been used even before 1992 in different contexts.  Will have to dig out that shirt.

5 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

The logo was never used on a helmet before.  It came out around 1992 when football was still Division III.  It did not move to Division I-AA until 1993.  I still have my hat with the logo and hop to have it in a little better shape for game time.

I'm jealous of your display!

2 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

St Bonaventure Bonnies is the only ones Big 4 wise that get merchandising.

You’ve said some crazy stuff on here but this might outdo all of it. Their options are equal to or worse than UB’s. Until the RC concession stands take credit cards they are below UB. 

agreed that UB needs to improve though.

Great BN story on how this happened. Originally from the 60's. Fuller made the right choice, and ADMA said the 2nd choice would not have been close, more "goat like" in his words.

The quotes from the players are great. The overall attention from this and the players are hyped to wear these on Saturday

https://buffalonews.com/sports/college/ubs-throwback-bulls-logo-creates-buzz-for-football-athletics/article_a025934e-4f29-11ed-b4fb-3fe7a8fb52c5.html

• Like 2

This throwback logo is really cool. My dad went to UB in the early 60’s and said it reminds him of that time period.  It does look like a caricature from the 60’s more than the 90’s. I’ll definitely get a shirt, or a hoodie if they will sell those w this logo. 

1 hour ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Great BN story on how this happened. Originally from the 60's. Fuller made the right choice, and ADMA said the 2nd choice would not have been close, more "goat like" in his words.

The quotes from the players are great. The overall attention from this and the players are hyped to wear these on Saturday

https://buffalonews.com/sports/college/ubs-throwback-bulls-logo-creates-buzz-for-football-athletics/article_a025934e-4f29-11ed-b4fb-3fe7a8fb52c5.html

The other was a Bull charging across a map of New York State.  This is what is was, faded since 1979.

It was used in the 1980s when UB went back to white helmets after the blue helmet with Buffalo in script across it.

image.thumb.png.7a974855394a77a3edde6f6619907ad7.png

Edited by BrooklynBull

1 hour ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Great article.

The newest – or renewed – UB Bull logo, though, is still in search of its roots. According to university archives, the logo could be based on the design for “Buster the Bull” created in 1954 by Stuart Hample, a 1950 UB graduate who became a renowned children’s author, cartoonist and humorist.

Oh no there's always a Buffalo connection...his kid is a brat.

The merch is great, hopefully the team is focused on Toledo.  I'm sure they are.  This game is a pretty big step up in class.  The Rockets have beaten the other MAC opponents they've played by around 3 TD's each.  The QB is dangerous running the ball (Avg. 65 yds/game)  and looks like they have some other solid RB's and a good O-Line.   I think the Bulls are gonna need about 35 points to win this one.

• Like 2