Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Cameilla Bowl 2022

BrooklynBull

39 minutes ago, Ubbulls84 said:

4E48B21D-1903-4E51-8497-94FDD9AB47D7.thumb.jpeg.b68c2bc159ee39021f3c8a38d6d88777.jpegAllnut posted this. Knew it was complete bs when refs called this. Luckily did not cost us the game. 

I'm glad for the player's sake this was done, nothing you can do about it now, but it was clearly a BS call and the booth people were likely worried about future criticism that actually determining what happened based upon the video evidence. It looked bad in real time, do doubt. The announcers were making the statement that he lowered his head (even though his head had no impact on the actual play). This was as bad as the one was that reversed a Targeting call on the hit to Gassett (I think) in one of our MAC games earlier in the year. The inconsistency in officiating at all levels (including the NFL) is not helping the situation at all. Happy for #28 to get confirmation that his play was not dirty. 

I wanted to give a little insight into the Camellia Bowl experience.  The team was scheduled to fly out of Buffalo at around noon on Friday, 12/23.  On Thursday afternoon, realizing that the storm was imminent, the flight was moved up to 1:50 a.m. on Friday.  Had they waited until the original schedule, we would likely not have made it to Alabama.  Arrival in Montgomery was around 3:30 a.m. CST.  The temperature was in the low 20s upon arrival.   Everyone got to hit the hay and the team's schedule would then resume as originally planned.  

Montgomery was pretty much a ghost town.  Fortunately, Common Bond Brewery was only a block from the hotel.  It was open on Friday until 10, and again on Christmas Eve until 6 p.m.   After that, everything was pretty much shut down until Monday due to the holiday.  

The team visited the Rosa Parks museum.  It is very well put together, and should be a stop if you ever find yourself in Montgomery.  Some of the team and travel party attended Christmas Day worship service at Dexter-King Baptist Church.  Dr. Martin Luther King was the Pastor of this Church at one time.  Lots of familiar Christmas music, and a good message.  The UB contingent that was there was recognized by the church leaders and were welcomed with open arms.  

I mentioned the cold temperature earlier.  While it remained colder than average, the temps did gradually climb throughout the stay.  Game day was sunny and in the low to mid 50s.  Perfect for football, and comfortable for the fans.  The game has been thoroughly rehashed previously in this thread, so I'll keep my comments short.  Ahmed was a beast.  Local talent that went to the same high school as my daughter.   The D-Line, while not getting any sacks, got plenty of pressure on Vantrease.  I focused on Damian Jackson a number of times.  He doesn't ever quit.  Clevester (Tre) Hines did a great job, especially considering he hadn't played corner since high school.  I asked him after the game if he was going back to WR.  "No Sir, I'm a DB now."  He had some big time sticks in the game.  Justin Marshall put together one hell of an audition tape.  

Heading back to Buffalo on Tuesday night would bring some adventure.  With Buffalo airport still closed, the travel party flew into Rochester.  The plan was to bus back to UB via route 31, but I90 opened in time to bus back on NYS Thruway.  Once at UB, we found many of the cars under lots of snow.  The driving lanes in the lot had been plowed, but there was a 2'-3' pile of plowed and packed snow keeping the cars from entering the driving lanes in the lot.  A few shovels had been left in the lot for the guys to use.  We saw one player moving snow with a crutch.  Many dug out that night.  Others, like us, called for a ride home and went back the next day to dig out.  

Overrall, it was a good experience, but I sure am glad that we won.  It would have made a miserable trip home if the outcome had been different.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2022 at 6:01 PM, MKBullsfan said:

We have to find a way to get into the Pin Stripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium and to play against Syracuse. And when the new Bills stadium opens host Notre Dame or some big ten school. 

The bowls are mostly conference tie ins UB Bulls have no say in that. And to be honest I am not sure it matters anymore beating Syracuse Orange football that is more a reflection on Syracuse Orange football which is irrelevant in Western New York sports circles today. Syracuse Orange did that too themselves with there elitism in their own minds. It is like the old NFL black out television policy in effect back in the day. Out of sight out of mind. Syracuse would gain more playing UB home and home yearly than we would. One it expands Syracuse football territories into Western New York for recruiting. Two Syracuse is ACC Power 5 if they have that hard of a time beating Buffalo MAC Group of 5 that is within Syracuse which it is who on earth would want to play in Syracuse and call it home for four years so it isn’t something Buffalo has done. Frankly we (UB) have already passed Orange football five years ago.

As for the potential of Notre Dame playing UB when the new Buffalo Bills stadium opens as nice as that sounds I don’t see it. Because Notre Dame would require major guarantee money upfront regardless of sales who is paying Notre Dame that guarantee money upfront to come? Certainly UB Bulls aren’t taking that financial risk and I don’t see PSE putting out that type of money to get Notre Dame to play football in Buffalo because it is risky. I don’t see UB Bulls ever playing in the new Bills stadium because of the last time at Highmark Stadium against Bowling Green Falcons we (UB Bulls) give up too much money to Ralph Wilson. Again for UB Bulls football what helps us more is fixing UB Stadium by pressing New York State to stop making the flagship schools football stadium a laughing stock of FBS football. With Kathy Hochul New York State Governor in there surely there is some loose change in the couch to do something with UB Stadium? The first thing has to be the UB Stadium scoreboard. I would would look to recycle some of the old Buffalo Bills Highmark Stadium seats to screw into UB Stadium removing more of those outdated metal bleachers so our stadium offers more chair back seating. Also I would to see UB get some of the old Highmark Stadium lights stands to brighten up UB Stadium for the ESPN MAC action at night. That can be part of the Buffalo Bills community benefits agreement package. Something has to be done about UB Stadium in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

2 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

The first thing has to be the UB Stadium scoreboard. I would would look to recycle some of the old Buffalo Bills Highmark Stadium seats to screw into UB Stadium removing more of those outdated metal bleachers so our stadium offers more chair back seating.

Yes, please. Current chairback seats are worse than bleachers. I like bleachers too.

5 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

The bowls are mostly conference tie ins UB Bulls have no say in that. And to be honest I am not sure it matters anymore beating Syracuse Orange football that is more a reflection on Syracuse Orange football which is irrelevant in Western New York sports circles today. Syracuse Orange did that too themselves with there elitism in their own minds. It is like the old NFL black out television policy in effect back in the day. Out of sight out of mind. Syracuse would gain more playing UB home and home yearly than we would. One it expands Syracuse football territories into Western New York for recruiting. Two Syracuse is ACC Power 5 if they have that hard of a time beating Buffalo MAC Group of 5 that is within Syracuse which it is who on earth would want to play in Syracuse and call it home for four years so it isn’t something Buffalo has done. Frankly we (UB) have already passed Orange football five years ago.

As for the potential of Notre Dame playing UB when the new Buffalo Bills stadium opens as nice as that sounds I don’t see it. Because Notre Dame would require major guarantee money upfront regardless of sales who is paying Notre Dame that guarantee money upfront to come? Certainly UB Bulls aren’t taking that financial risk and I don’t see PSE putting out that type of money to get Notre Dame to play football in Buffalo because it is risky. I don’t see UB Bulls ever playing in the new Bills stadium because of the last time at Highmark Stadium against Bowling Green Falcons we (UB Bulls) give up too much money to Ralph Wilson. Again for UB Bulls football what helps us more is fixing UB Stadium by pressing New York State to stop making the flagship schools football stadium a laughing stock of FBS football. With Kathy Hochul New York State Governor in there surely there is some loose change in the couch to do something with UB Stadium? The first thing has to be the UB Stadium scoreboard. I would would look to recycle some of the old Buffalo Bills Highmark Stadium seats to screw into UB Stadium removing more of those outdated metal bleachers so our stadium offers more chair back seating. Also I would to see UB get some of the old Highmark Stadium lights stands to brighten up UB Stadium for the ESPN MAC action at night. That can be part of the Buffalo Bills community benefits agreement package. Something has to be done about UB Stadium in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

UB would want Syracuse recruiting players from Western New York, why?

It would be a Notre dame home game, as part of their Shamrock Series, like when they played BC in Fenway Park.

So you wanted used broken seats to be put into UB Stadium.

The lights were updated nearly 10 years ago for TV standards.

8 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

I wanted to give a little insight into the Camellia Bowl experience.  The team was scheduled to fly out of Buffalo at around noon on Friday, 12/23.  On Thursday afternoon, realizing that the storm was imminent, the flight was moved up to 1:50 a.m. on Friday.  Had they waited until the original schedule, we would likely not have made it to Alabama.  Arrival in Montgomery was around 3:30 a.m. CST.  The temperature was in the low 20s upon arrival.   Everyone got to hit the hay and the team's schedule would then resume as originally planned.  

Montgomery was pretty much a ghost town.  Fortunately, Common Bond Brewery was only a block from the hotel.  It was open on Friday until 10, and again on Christmas Eve until 6 p.m.   After that, everything was pretty much shut down until Monday due to the holiday.  

The team visited the Rosa Parks museum.  It is very well put together, and should be a stop if you ever find yourself in Montgomery.  Some of the team and travel party attended Christmas Day worship service at Dexter-King Baptist Church.  Dr. Martin Luther King was the Pastor of this Church at one time.  Lots of familiar Christmas music, and a good message.  The UB contingent that was there was recognized by the church leaders and were welcomed with open arms.  

I mentioned the cold temperature earlier.  While it remained colder than average, the temps did gradually climb throughout the stay.  Game day was sunny and in the low to mid 50s.  Perfect for football, and comfortable for the fans.  The game has been thoroughly rehashed previously in this thread, so I'll keep my comments short.  Ahmed was a beast.  Local talent that went to the same high school as my daughter.   The D-Line, while not getting any sacks, got plenty of pressure on Vantrease.  I focused on Damian Jackson a number of times.  He doesn't ever quit.  Clevester (Tre) Hines did a great job, especially considering he hadn't played corner since high school.  I asked him after the game if he was going back to WR.  "No Sir, I'm a DB now."  He had some big time sticks in the game.  Justin Marshall put together one hell of an audition tape.  

Heading back to Buffalo on Tuesday night would bring some adventure.  With Buffalo airport still closed, the travel party flew into Rochester.  The plan was to bus back to UB via route 31, but I90 opened in time to bus back on NYS Thruway.  Once at UB, we found many of the cars under lots of snow.  The driving lanes in the lot had been plowed, but there was a 2'-3' pile of plowed and packed snow keeping the cars from entering the driving lanes in the lot.  A few shovels had been left in the lot for the guys to use.  We saw one player moving snow with a crutch.  Many dug out that night.  Others, like us, called for a ride home and went back the next day to dig out.  

Overrall, it was a good experience, but I sure am glad that we won.  It would have made a miserable trip home if the outcome had been different.  

Got down to Montgomery on Sunday.  It was a very quiet town.  Most likely because of Christmas lasting two days.  Outside of families there were very few UB fans in town because many were coming on a second plane with the band and cheerleaders.

Met up with a couple of other 1958 Society members, two made it on the first plane and two drove in from the Carolinas.  Had a great time with them over dinner.

I can confirm the Hines quote, as I asked him the same thing.

The cold weather had impacts across the south.  My reservation for Tuesday night after the game at a hotel at the airport in Atlanta was cancelled, as the area where all of the airport hotels was shut down because of water main breaks.

Want to become a member of the 1958 Society?  https://ubbulls.com/sports/2022/6/2/1958-society.aspx

Edited by BrooklynBull

8 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

So you wanted used broken seats to be put into UB Stadium

Next time you’re at UB Stadium and in the stands, take a seat in the grey seats that are bolted to the bleachers. Not the black seats that are part of the G Club, the grey ones that surround those. Anything is an upgrade.