Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

SUNY Canton - 12/21/22

MuchMany

Respect to Canton, they played hard for 40 and kept it clean. Hope they can get a boost from this kind of experience.

Easy to say after that performance, but I want to see more of Ceaser building towards Cleveland. It doesn't all have to come at once, but the best version of UB in March will feature plenty of DEVIN. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

Uncle!!!

68 of the current 125 points are in the paint.

70 points in the paint. 36 points from behind the arc. 17 free throws. Makes 123 of the 129 points. Only 6 points inside the arc.

I felt sorry for Canton. Only a 2-10 record in Division 3 this year and then play a Division I team. Canton just gave up too many fast break points and easy layups.

Is there seriously no Division I teams around that want to play us?

56 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

70 points in the paint. 36 points from behind the arc. 17 free throws. Makes 123 of the 129 points. Only 6 points inside the arc.

I felt sorry for Canton. Only a 2-10 record in Division 3 this year and then play a Division I team. Canton just gave up too many fast break points and easy layups.

Is there seriously no Division I teams around that want to play us?

We had Charleston then they pulled out late so JW did what he could 

39 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Hoping next year's schedule a little easier to complete without a non-D1 opponent, by my account we have:

1. Bona - away
  2. Canisius - away
  3. 2 Sunbelt conference games - 1 home / 1 away
  4. Possibly the JMU game - but maybe this gets absorbed in 2 sunbelt games - away
  5. Western Kentucky - home
  6. 3 with a MTE - neutral

That is 8 or possibly 9 games.  I would like to see them schedule Colgate again; Then you throw in a couple of Quad 1 games and you are done.  They definitely have a good start.  The only hiccup is that there would only be two home games OOC as I have laid it out, so not sure how that will figure into things.

3 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Hoping next year's schedule a little easier to complete without a non-D1 opponent, by my account we have:

1. Bona - away
  2. Canisius - away
  3. 2 Sunbelt conference games - 1 home / 1 away
  4. Possibly the JMU game - but maybe this gets absorbed in 2 sunbelt games - away
  5. Western Kentucky - home
  6. 3 with a MTE - neutral

That is 8 or possibly 9 games.  I would like to see them schedule Colgate again; Then you throw in a couple of Quad 1 games and you are done.  They definitely have a good start.  The only hiccup is that there would only be two home games OOC as I have laid it out, so not sure how that will figure into things.

That last part is what admin grapples with. Seems like they rather play a non D1 school at home in front of a dead atmosphere than be a buy game on the road. I also do understand that non D1 games don’t hurt the net rankings but in all honesty, when we are where we are…who cares about a net ranking. 

5 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

That last part is what admin grapples with. Seems like they rather play a non D1 school at home in front of a dead atmosphere than be a buy game on the road. I also do understand that non D1 games don’t hurt the net rankings but in all honesty, when we are where we are…who cares about a net ranking. 

It stinks that both Bona and Canisius are both on the same home/away cycle. I assume if Niagara was still in the mix they would be our Big 4 home game? We need to figure out how to get someone of quality to come to Alumni. It was nice to see JMU and Colgate at least. Maybe Cornell, Drexel, Hofstra or Bucknell, Lehigh someone tegionally close. George Mason could be an option, Towson, UMBC.

11 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

It stinks that both Bona and Canisius are both on the same home/away cycle. I assume if Niagara was still in the mix they would be our Big 4 home game? We need to figure out how to get someone of quality to come to Alumni. It was nice to see JMU and Colgate at least. Maybe Cornell, Drexel, Hofstra or Bucknell, Lehigh someone tegionally close. George Mason could be an option, Towson, UMBC.

Even one of the other D-1 SUNY schools would be better than nothing. Or one of the other MAAC schools like Siena, Marist, etc.  Maybe not the best competition for helping our NET ranking, but for those of us living outside of WNY it would be fun to catch UB on the road at one of the other schools in the Northeast region.

37 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Even one of the other D-1 SUNY schools would be better than nothing. Or one of the other MAAC schools like Siena, Marist, etc.  Maybe not the best competition for helping our NET ranking, but for those of us living outside of WNY it would be fun to catch UB on the road at one of the other schools in the Northeast region.

I would go to a Siena, Marist, Iona, Army or Albany road game.  That would be preferable to firing up ESPN+ to watch a game vs a D3 opponent.

• Like 1

I am never going to complain with one non D-I game on a schedule.  Remember these schools rely on this game for budgeting purposes, just like we do with a Power 5 road game.  

It's when we get to a second one that I am not too crazy about it and I don't really know what it has to offer to us other than maybe some confidence for guys like Caesar and Mading.  With that being said, I know we had Charleston and that fell through.  I can't really complain with the non-conference schedule this year in terms of competition and the option to see the team at home.  Maybe someday the perfect model will come to be!

13 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Any word on why Charleston backed out? Seems they have a full schedule.  Currently 12-1 with 15 games before the end of the year. UB only has 13 games.

And why aren't we playing Niagara any more (last time was 2019)? Is it because we are 7-1 since 2009 and they are tired of losing?

In another thread, somebody wanted an "all SUNY" tournament.  Only 5 DI SUNY (21 DIII) schools in basketball according to SUNY (using NET ranking):

Cornell: Ranked 116
Buffalo: Ranked 193
Albany: Ranked 324
Stony Brook: Ranked 343
Binghamton: Ranked 348

Besides Cornell, not exactly the elite.

And here is the list of all NYS D1 schools:

Iona College (MAAC): Ranked 43
St. John's University (Big East): Ranked 90
Fordham University (A10): Ranked 105
Hofstra University (CAA): Ranked 128
Colgate University (Patriot): Ranked 151
Syracuse University (ACC): Ranked 153
St Bonaventure University (A10): Ranked 199
Siena College (MAAC): Ranked 212
Niagara University (MAAC): Ranked 239 
Wagner College (NEC): Ranked 258
Canisius College (MAAC): Ranked 262
Army (Patriot): Ranked 299
Marist College (MAAC): Ranked 313
St Francis College (NEC): Ranked 320
Manhattan College (MAAC): Ranked 336
Columbia University (Ivy): Ranked 338

We probably should be playing more MAAC teams but that might be a step down for us but still better than D3 schools.

Edited by bullsbball

9 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

Any word on why Charleston backed out? Seems they have a full schedule.  Currently 12-1 with 15 games before the end of the year. UB only has 13 games.

And why aren't we playing Niagara any more (last time was 2019? Is it because we are 7-1 since 2009 and they are tired of losing?

In another thread, somebody wanted an "all SUNY" tournament.  Only 5 DI SUNY (21 DIII) schools in basketball according to SUNY (using NET ranking):

Cornell: Ranked 116
Buffalo: Ranked 193
Albany: Ranked 324
Stony Brook: Ranked 343
Binghamton: Ranked 348

Besides Cornell, not exactly the elite.

And here is the list of all NYS D1 schools:

Iona College (MAAC): Ranked 43
St. John's University (Big East): Ranked 90
Fordham University (A10): Ranked 105
Hofstra University (CAA): Ranked 128
Colgate University (Patriot): Ranked 151
Syracuse University (ACC): Ranked 153
St Bonaventure University (A10): Ranked 199
Siena College (MAAC): Ranked 212
Niagara University (MAAC): Ranked 239 
Wagner College (NEC): Ranked 258
Canisius College (MAAC): Ranked 262
Army (Patriot): Ranked 299
Marist College (MAAC): Ranked 313
St Francis College (NEC): Ranked 320
Manhattan College (MAAC): Ranked 336
Columbia University (Ivy): Ranked 338

We probably should be playing more MAAC teams but that might be a step down for us but still better than D3 schools.

I’ve always said this…we should play NYC area schools more often. We need to both open recruiting pipelines into the city and gain more exposure for our city alumni base. Why not play Fordham. St. John’s. Rutgers. Seton Hall…on the road. I understand the need for home games and the net rankings. And I’m not saying do this formula of mostly road games every year, but every few years take the road paycheck. That way in the next season we can buy a good game to alumni. Just a thought.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MuchMany said:

True story!

Fun watching Ceaser and Mading get to do their thing. Plenty of talent. 

Good to see the younger guys get some playing time but are they going to get any rotational time in the MAC season?? I noticed Powell was not dressed and seemed like he was not walking around very good. Does anyone have an update on him.  Will be interesting how UB will react against Michigan State when their shots will be contested against a very physical Michigan State team. Really looking forward to the MAC season and how this team compares to the teams. Go Bulls!!!

11 minutes ago, John said:

Good to see the younger guys get some playing time but are they going to get any rotational time in the MAC season?? I noticed Powell was not dressed and seemed like he was not walking around very good. Does anyone have an update on him.  Will be interesting how UB will react against Michigan State when their shots will be contested against a very physical Michigan State team. Really looking forward to the MAC season and how this team compares to the teams. Go Bulls!!!

They said on ESPN+ that Powell was not seriously injured, and he would be back 'around the beginning of 2023'.  Hopefully that means he is back for Ohio.