Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

SUNY Canton - 12/21/22

MuchMany

11 minutes ago, John said:

I noticed Powell was not dressed and seemed like he was not walking around very good. Does anyone have an update on him.  Will be interesting how UB will react against Michigan State when their shots will be contested against a very physical Michigan State team. 

Heard on the radio it was a separated shoulder diving for a ball and was day to day. Maybe ready for the Michigan State game.

From what I read in the past - Niagara didn't want to play anymore.  My brother counts it as a "forfeit" by them every year now 🙂

I agree that it should be possible to play the other SUNY D-1 teams (Albany, Stony Brook, Binghamton).  And yeah, as someone mentioned, try to play where the school has a lot of alums.  NYC area.  And as I've suggested over the years - football and/or basketball should try to play a game every year down in Florida.  The school can set up a tailgate and make a big deal for Buffalo people who have moved down there.  

As for last night - D3 opponent, D3 crowd (I was a kid at those games).  But this team needs games, all these players need reps.  They're not the finished product yet but I do feel like they're as ready as they're going to be for MAC play.  They look a lot better than they did a month and a half ago.  

Caesar and Jack will get more playing time once they get better on defense.  Both have good moves on offense, which will get them minutes off the bench.  But they're freshmen - I don't expect to see the finished article yet.  It makes Curtis Jones, in the first semester of his sophomore year, look like he's pretty far along.

I'm looking forward to the MAC games and the increased intensity out there.  I'm interested to see how the team handles that, and grows with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John said:

Thanks for the update. 

I was happy to see Mading and Williamson get some playing time. I really do wonder if either will get any meaningful playing time going forward. If they don’t I could see both going the transfer route next year. Caesar looks like a player who should get some rotational playing time but what I have seen of him that in lacks on the defensive side and looks like he probably had to play very little defense in high school.

1 hour ago, bullsbball said:

In another thread, somebody wanted an "all SUNY" tournament.  Only 5 DI SUNY (21 DIII) schools in basketball according to SUNY (using NET ranking):

Cornell: Ranked 116
Buffalo: Ranked 193
Albany: Ranked 324
Stony Brook: Ranked 343
Binghamton: Ranked 348

With Albany and Binghamton in the same conference, it is unlikely they would ever agree to this.  They do not want to play each other possibly four times in a season, or give up a home conference game.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’ve always said this…we should play NYC area schools more often. We need to both open recruiting pipelines into the city and gain more exposure for our city alumni base. Why not play Fordham. St. John’s. Rutgers. Seton Hall…on the road. I understand the need for home games and the net rankings. And I’m not saying do this formula of mostly road games every year, but every few years take the road paycheck. That way in the next season we can buy a good game to alumni. Just a thought.

Prior coaches wanted a home and home with New York City schools.  Most do not want to travel far for budgetary reasons.  Why fly or bus it to Buffalo and stay in a hotel when you can take the subway or a couple of vans and driver 45 minutes to an hour away?

I will add that I've been so impressed by Jack right from the start. Was surprised how little playing time he was initially getting.  The past 3 games, he's been getting the minutes and doing well. Versus Canton, 16 points, 7 of 9 FG, 3 blocks and 13 rebounds in just 16 minutes.

He has a great inside game and he gets those rebounds. Being a Freshman, he has a great future ahead but (like recent history) I'm concerned he'll transfer for greener pastures.

18 hours ago, bullsbball said:

Is there seriously no Division I teams around that want to play us?

I knew right after attending both the UConn and Pitt home games years ago (both teams were ranked #2 in the country at the time) and us almost winning both games in the final minute, that no one would want to come play here.

4 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Iona uses the money saved by not traveling to WNY, to go to the middle of the Pacific Ocean. 

And New Mexico and Las Vegas. They know the way since they play Canisius and Niagara here this year. Canisius on a Friday night and then Niagara 2 days later on a Sunday.

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Prior coaches wanted a home and home with New York City schools.  Most do not want to travel far for budgetary reasons.  Why fly or bus it to Buffalo and stay in a hotel when you can take the subway or a couple of vans and driver 45 minutes to an hour away?

Again…UB getting too greedy. Just be the buy game and travel down state. Stop requesting a home and home. Just play the road game. Sometimes a school needs to know where it stands in the landscape.  Take the money, maybe pull an upset and then the following year use the money for a better MTE or use it to buy a good mid major school. Forget trying to get P5 schools to come to Buffalo.

59 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Again…UB getting too greedy. Just be the buy game and travel down state. Stop requesting a home and home. Just play the road game. Sometimes a school needs to know where it stands in the landscape.  Take the money, maybe pull an upset and then the following year use the money for a better MTE or use it to buy a good mid major school. Forget trying to get P5 schools to come to Buffalo.

There's only one power conference school in NYC.

On 12/22/2022 at 12:26 PM, BrooklynBull said:

With Albany and Binghamton in the same conference, it is unlikely they would ever agree to this.  They do not want to play each other possibly four times in a season, or give up a home conference game.

If we’re going to count Cornell as part of Suny then Syracuse should also be counted