Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Women v. Akron 3-1-23

The women host Akron tonight.  They need to go 2-0 in their last two at home to have a shot to go to Cleveland.  If they win the two games they will probably be in a tie breaker situation.

https://getsomemaction.com/sports/2023/2/24/BSK_0224232059.aspx

For those of you in Buffalo and surroundings, get out to the game tonight.  Listen to Coach Burke.

Edited by BrooklynBull

• BrooklynBull changed the title to Women v. Akron 3-1-23
22 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

The women host Akron tonight.  They need to go 2-0 in their last two at home to have a shot to go to Cleveland.  If they win the two games they will probably be in a tie breaker situation.

For those of you in Buffalo and surroundings, get out to the game tonight.  Listen to Coach Burke.

If they can play a full game like the last one, they will win. Onward and upward! Gotta give BB credit keeping the ladies spirits up and fighting to the end under challenging circumstances.

38 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

If they can play a full game like the last one, they will win. Onward and upward! Gotta give BB credit keeping the ladies spirits up and fighting to the end under challenging circumstances.

Teams shoot 70% every now and then, but that is not a reasonable expectation in the next game. We did out-rebound Bowling Green nearly 2-to-1, so we need to keep doing that, although again I'm skeptical we can keep that up.

5 minutes ago, dj_paige said:

It appears that assistant coach Candyce Wheeler is no longer with the team. Apparently her Twitter bio no longer lists her as a UB assistant coach.

She's still on the roster page on the UB Athletics Website. What a weird season. People just disappear and no announcements? What happened to Salmons? You lose and assistant and no comment? Weird.

5 minutes ago, dj_paige said:

Teams shoot 70% every now and then, but that is not a reasonable expectation in the next game. We did out-rebound Bowling Green nearly 2-to-1, so we need to keep doing that, although again I'm skeptical we can keep that up.

I'm not looking for 70%, that's likely not going to happen, however, one of the reason they shot well is because they were hitting the short shots and drives that are usually high %, but we struggle with. That is what we need to keep up. Ogden has a hot hand recently so if she can knock down 3-4 a game that are GOOD looks, that helps too. Rebounding will always be key for any team to win.

27 minutes ago, Blue03 said:

Unfortunately I don’t foresee a lot of students tonight. Our app where we get our free tickets isn’t working right now, they don’t even have the game on there.

Can we finally admit that our AD is doing a very poor job? Shitty apps for our students that don't work, wifi issues in Alumni, crappy DJs blasting out of date music, poor scheduling in the big sports, terrible Season Ticket Holder Appreciation Nights, as well as very questionable hiring/extensions for our coaches. AD Alnutt is the weak link here.

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Great to see some happy, smiling faces and a unexpected win against a quality team on senior night no less. A win happens when UB shoots lights out and get quality positive contributions from other players like Ogden and Mashaire who not only scored double digit points but also has like 15 rebounds combined. As has been the case all year you have to have solid contributions from more than the top three players especially when playing against one of the better teams in the MAC. Hope the last two games we can see competitive games and the team can go out with positives for next year even though the team will have a totally different makeup. I know Coach Burke asked for fans to show up tonight so it will be wishful thinking if more than a handful of students show up tonight!!! Go Bulls!!!

9 minutes ago, John said:

Great to see some happy, smiling faces and a unexpected win against a quality team on senior night no less. A win happens when UB shoots lights out and get quality positive contributions from other players like Ogden and Mashaire who not only scored double digit points but also has like 15 rebounds combined. As has been the case all year you have to have solid contributions from more than the top three players especially when playing against one of the better teams in the MAC. Hope the last two games we can see competitive games and the team can go out with positives for next year even though the team will have a totally different makeup. I know Coach Burke asked for fans to show up tonight so it will be wishful thinking if more than a handful of students show up tonight!!! Go Bulls!!!

There may only be a few of us there but we’ll be loud

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UBinMD said:

She's still on the roster page on the UB Athletics Website. What a weird season. People just disappear and no announcements? What happened to Salmons? You lose and assistant and no comment? Weird.

So, MIA players and now coaches. Playing with only 6 players most of the year. A 2023 recruiting class of 7 guards.  Not a big fan of Criag from the videos I've watched.

Wheeler (according to her UB Bio) was recruiting coordinator at USC Upstate. Was she in charge of recruiting at UB also?

I put the blame on Berke for all these crazy things.

Sure can't expect 70% from the field and 63% from 3-points again this game. They also had good defense last game. I bet they lose by 15 and get put out of their misery of thinking of going to Cleveland. 

Call me crazy, but I'll be there.

Edited by bullsbball

4 hours ago, Blue03 said:

Unfortunately I don’t foresee a lot of students tonight. Our app where we get our free tickets isn’t working right now, they don’t even have the game on there.

Ok they finally put the game there. Got my ticket, will be there 🤘

Fantastic win, wow. These 2 games have been terrific. Let’s go for 3. I’m curious why Camp didn’t stay. Did she bail immediately or was she one that defected after BB came and told them what she expected and all but Jaz left?

hopefully Saturday will be a good win.

Six Bulls were able to hold off 9 Zips. Another double double for Winfield who rebounds like she’s half a foot taller than she is, just unbelievable. Keep it rolling Saturday vs WMU and need some help to clear the logjam of teams just ahead of us in the standings. With all this team has been through it would be a nice reward to move on to the postseason. 🤘

8 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Six Bulls were able to hold off 9 Zips. Another double double for Winfield who rebounds like she’s half a foot taller than she is, just unbelievable. Keep it rolling Saturday vs WMU and need some help to clear the logjam of teams just ahead of us in the standings. With all this team has been through it would be a nice reward to move on to the postseason. 🤘

So far two results are falling out way. Don’t know about tie breakers

Well, I'm eating crow.

UB came out shooting great but then had troubles getting penetration on the 2-3 zone. In the first half Mashaire was throwing up underhanded ducks when she was trying to drive to the basket. Threw up several airballs.  Winfield also had a lot of turnovers (7).

Ogden was (finally) spectacular at rebounds.

A lot of palming, traveling and double dribbles on UB. By now, you'd think they would have figure this out.

The officials kept their whistles in their pockets. UB was only called for 6 fouls and Akron with 14. I thought Akron could have been called for more fouls especially when UB was driving the basket.

Finally, 2 entertaining games in a row. 

11 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

According to the school article we control our own destiny. Win and the ladies go to Cleveland!

With the win, the Bulls now control their own destiny as a win on Saturday against Western Michigan would punch their ticket to Cleveland for the 2023 Mid-American Conference Tournament.

TIE-BREAKER PROCEDURE
Ties in winning percentage, and thus for tournament, seeding positions shall be broken as follows:

1. Between TWO teams:
A. Head-to-head competition

B. Division Record (10 games)^

C. Winning percentage* vs. ranked conference teams (top to bottom, regardless of division, vs. common opponents regardless of the number of times played)

D. Coin flip 

By my calculation if UB wins on Saturday over Western Michigan, we would be tied with them at 7-11. First tie breaker is head-to-head which would also be tied. Next comes division record and I'm showing UB with 4 division wins and Western Michigan has only 3. 

So, by this calculation, if UB wins, they are in if they are solely tied with Western Michigan.

But it gets more complicated if there is a tie between 3 or more schools. 

2. For MULTIPLE (3 or more) team ties:
E. Total won-lost record/winning percentage* of games played among the tied teams

F. Two (2)-team tie-breaker procedure goes into effect (refer to A)
[NOTE: Once a three-team tie has been reduced to two teams, the two-team tiebreaker will go into effect.]

image.jpeg.1375a493fcbe19d5a2d37b263499e719.jpeg

Up to 5 teams could be tied at 7-11 after Saturday with only 3 making it to Cleveland.

Edited by bullsbball

3 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

By my calculation if UB wins on Saturday over Western Michigan, we would be tied with them at 7-11. First tie breaker is head-to-head which would also be tied. Next comes division record and I'm showing UB with 4 division wins and Western Michigan has only 3. 

So, by this calculation, if UB wins, they are in if they are solely tied with Western Michigan.

But it gets more complicated if there is a tie between 3 or more schools. 

Just win. Getting to Cleveland with this squad amidst a bumpy start to her tenure here at UB would be a great accomplishment. Would be great for team moral and building. Great for recruiting. Would kinda stabilize things moving forward. 

• Like 1