Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Women v. Akron 3-1-23

11 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Just win. Getting to Cleveland with this squad amidst a bumpy start to her tenure here at UB would be a great accomplishment. Would be great for team moral and building. Great for recruiting. Would kinda stabilize things moving forward. 

Agree. It would be great for this group of players to experience the MAC tournament atmosphere in Cleveland. The venue is great for players and fans and our family have a great time in Cleveland. We always like to meet fans and especially parents from the other teams. Met some parents from Akron after the game and had a nice conversation about basketball and life. Go Bulls!!

On 3/1/2023 at 9:34 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

According to the school article we control our own destiny. Win and the ladies go to Cleveland!

According to the article posted today, it’s not as simple as UB wins and they’re in. With all the potential teams that could end up tied, I kind of figured it wouldn’t be so cut and dry.  But odds are in our favor if we win. 
image.jpeg.b0aff2187589fc066c6687bffbbaeed9.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

According to the article posted today, it’s not as simple as UB wins and they’re in. With all the potential teams that could end up tied, I kind of figured it wouldn’t be so cut and dry.  But odds are in our favor if we win. 
image.jpeg.b0aff2187589fc066c6687bffbbaeed9.jpeg

Definitely cause for concern, eastern and akron play bottom of the barrel teams. Miami plays ball state which is good, but at home who knows.

33 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Central Michigan is done tomorrow afternoon.  They have been eliminated and cannot go to Cleveland.

Yea no one here is concerned with CMU. Would be nice for them to beat Akron and help the cause but yea we all know they can’t go to Cleveland. There’s 5 teams for 3 spots. Spots 6-8.

13 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Yea no one here is concerned with CMU. Would be nice for them to beat Akron and help the cause but yea we all know they can’t go to Cleveland. There’s 5 teams for 3 spots. Spots 6-8.

I know that.  It was a joke in response to let the "chips" fall where they may.

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2023 at 9:17 AM, UBinMD said:

If they can play a full game like the last one, they will win. Onward and upward! Gotta give BB credit keeping the ladies spirits up and fighting to the end under challenging circumstances.

On 3/1/2023 at 9:17 AM, UBinMD said:

If they can play a full game like the last one, they will win. Onward and upward! Gotta give BB credit keeping the ladies spirits up and fighting to the end under challenging circumstances.

Yeah that their coach is a psycho no one wants to work with or play for

3 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Well the MAC tweeted that we are. I’d say that’s official. 

Then job well done by coach. This hopefully is a spring board for the ladies program. Burke’s first year was kind gonna be a free pass bc she literally inherited nothing. There’s been bumps and potholes along the road but I think we can all agree that, while it’s been a learning experience, she isn’t in over her head. It was important for her to show she can coach and get players to buy in. Check and check.  Now she can continue to bring in her style players and implement her style going forward.

On 3/2/2023 at 10:41 AM, John said:

Agree. It would be great for this group of players to experience the MAC tournament atmosphere in Cleveland. The venue is great for players and fans and our family have a great time in Cleveland. We always like to meet fans and especially parents from the other teams. Met some parents from Akron after the game and had a nice conversation about basketball and life. Go Bulls!!

Coach flipped out a few minutes into the 3rd quarter. I’m not sure how I feel about that as a longtime fan and supporter. Regardless, props to the team - it’s a tough ask for the starters to play pretty much a full 40 minutes day in and day out. Good luck in Cleveland. Go Bulls.

16 minutes ago, 1975 said:

Coach flipped out a few minutes into the 3rd quarter. I’m not sure how I feel about that as a longtime fan and supporter. Regardless, props to the team - it’s a tough ask for the starters to play pretty much a full 40 minutes day in and day out. Good luck in Cleveland. Go Bulls.

She’s young. She will learn as she becomes more experienced. There’s an art to flipping out. There’s an art to working refs. Or yelling at players. Seasoned coaches know the line and how to straddle it. She’ll get there. I look at her and I still see a fiery player turned coach.

40 minutes ago, 1975 said:

That was after UB gave up 7 quick points in less than a minute. In the past, I objected to this yelling. In this case, it might have been appropriate.

She appeared to mostly be yelling at Stone.

WMU shot up 38 3-point shots and only made 13. CMU only made 1 shot (attempted 6) inside the arc that wasn't a layup.

6 of the 9 UB players are graduating.  Lonely on the bench with just Ellis, Mashaire, and Ogden during the ceremonies.

Since Johnson wasn't honored, does that mean she'll be back for her 6th season?

Hard to win any series of games in Cleveland without any depth.

Edited by bullsbball

59 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

That was after UB gave up 7 quick points in less than a minute. In the past, I objected to this yelling. In this case, it might have been appropriate.

She appeared to mostly be yelling at Stone.

WMU shot up 38 3-point shots and only made 13. CMU only made 1 shot (attempted 6) inside the arc that wasn't a layup.

6 of the 9 UB players are graduating.  Lonely on the bench with just Ellis, Mashaire, and Ogden during the ceremonies.

Since Johnson wasn't honored, does that mean she'll be back for her 6th season?

Hard to win any series of games in Cleveland without any depth.

I’m with both you and DooleyBull. My left hemisphere understood coach’s outburst, but at the same time my right hemisphere’s reaction was “coach hasn’t earned the right to that sort of inartful response on this court in front of these fans”. Meh, that’s just me. 

Interesting about Johnson - maybe her pregnancy hiatus from playing gives her an extension?

Finally, what’s the rule about a player going down with an injury while the opponent has possession? Play on, like in today’s game - or did the refs blow it?

Go Bulls!

Edited by 1975
Typo

39 minutes ago, 1975 said:

I’m with both you and DooleyBull. My left hemisphere understood coach’s outburst, but at the same time my right hemisphere’s reaction was “coach hasn’t earned the right to that sort of inartful response on this court in front of these fans”. Meh, that’s just me. 

Interesting about Johnson - maybe her pregnancy hiatus from playing gives her an extension?

Finally, what’s the rule about a player going down with an injury while the opponent has possession? Play on, like in today’s game - or did the refs blow it?

Go Bulls!

Oh we were so ticked off about them playing on. I would’ve wanted them to stop if it was going the other way.

1 hour ago, 1975 said:

Go Bulls!

Agree. I do not like a coach yelling at players in a crazy fashion but hope this is just growing pains for a coach that is in her early years of being a head coach. I was not able to be at the game so after Burke went on her yelling rampage how did the players respond? What was the crowd like and were they into the game? In any case congratulations to the team and coaches for staying the course. It was Jim Volvano who said “Don’t give up, don’t ever give up.” That sure can apply in life and also in sports. Go Bulls!!

40 minutes ago, Blue03 said:

Oh we were so ticked off about them playing on. I would’ve wanted them to stop if it was going the other way.

Even after the WMU basket, it still took the refs a few seconds before stopping play. I'm not totally sure the refs knew Young was laying under the other basket.

10 hours ago, bullsbball said:

Even after the WMU basket, it still took the refs a few seconds before stopping play. I'm not totally sure the refs knew Young was laying under the other basket.

Well, I looked it up. Rule says don’t stop game until either injured players team gets ball back or otherwise a dead ball. However, refs may stop the game if opponent is NOT on a fast break. Ultimately, none of the three officials appeared aware of the 5 on 4 u til the basket was scored. That’s a conversation I’m sure refs will have amongst themselves and hopefully with an evaluator later on.