Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

Looks like he is making $130k at Nicholls so unless we're as under-leveraged as it seems we could potentially not spend the house and leave some money for more serious assistant roster.

Also saw that he was in the mix for BGSU at one point so there's 2 common names, if not interviews with the falcons. It does seem like he has interviewed with any school that will interview him this offseason.

Claunch is a name that I am familiar with, and someone who would intrigue me if UB were to hire him.  Nicholls is a pretty dire program and he's done well all things considered.  He's seemingly a hungry coach and not afraid to take on a challenging position, and the bits and pieces I've seen and heard from him in the past few years have impressed me. 

I'd be a bit concerned about him never having coached in the north/midwest, recruiting pipelines etc. 

I think we're all past the point of UB getting our "first choice" coaches, but in general I wouldn't be upset with the hire.  I'm more interested in him than most retreads on their way down, or career assistants at power conference schools who aren't used to the hurdles that come along with a mid-major/low-major program.

Edited by UBlearns

50 minutes ago, capencaper said:

At the end of the day it should be up to the University president to do an assessment, especially if he was convinced that buying out Whitesell was the correct choice.

I disagree that the UB President shouldn’t do the assessment when he doesn’t even understand a basketball motion offense or football 46 defense. The UB President needs to stay far away from UB athletics. That is what is wrong with America today everyone has an opinion about something they know nothing about and not staying in there lane. The UB President has no clue what he is assessing from academic land he needs to stay in his lane and just rubber stamping as figure head what the sports assessing that know what they are doing recommend. Sports people don’t tell them how to conduct their research stay out of athletics they know nothing about in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

6 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

I disagree that the UB President shouldn’t do the assessment when he doesn’t even understand a basketball motion offense or football 46 defense. The UB President needs to stay far away from UB athletics. That is what is wrong with America today everyone has an opinion about something they know nothing about and not staying in there lane. The UB President has no clue what he is assessing from academic land he needs to stay in his lane and just rubber stamping as figure head what the sports assessing that know what they are doing recommend. Sports people don’t tell them how to conduct their research stay out of athletics they know nothing about in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I asked ChapGPT to help me respond to you 🙂

Oh, come on! Who cares if the UB President knows anything about basketball or football? It's not like he's the coach or anything. He's just there to sign some papers and make sure the money keeps rolling in.

I mean, sure, it's nice if he can tell a 46 defense from a 4-3, but that's not really his job, is it? He's got people for that. All he needs to do is let the sports people do their thing and stay out of the way.

And as for all this talk about staying in your lane, well, that's just a load of garbage. This is America, people! We can have an opinion about anything we want, whether we know anything about it or not.

So let's stop worrying about whether the President understands sports and focus on what's really important: winning! Go Bulls! Horns up! Let's Go Buffalo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

I'm more interested in him than most retreads on their way down, or career assistants at power conference schools who aren't used to the hurdles that come along with a mid-major/low-major program.

Agreed.  This is a big one.

You take someone who is use to having resources and bring them to UB and they will be fighting with the admin and feeling frustrated which will kill their momentum (like the reports of Frankl Martin at UMass).  However, you take a coach who is use to having no resources and bring them to UB and they will feel like they are at the big time and will have energy.

The issue is finding those that are at the bottom tier programs due to their low ceiling on ability versus those that are there due to that simply being their opportunity thus far.

• Like 2

Giving how well this has been going, maybe we are better off not getting their 1st-15th choices, maybe we will get the right person by accident….

assuming we ever get a coach, remember the process was not their fault and he starts with a clean slate (unless it ends up being some who turned us die. To start….)

6 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Curious: How successful do you think Hurley and Oats would have been at UB in the NIL and free transfer era?

That's what prospective coaches are trying to asses.  

I think both of them would have won MAC Championships.

• Thanks 1

Are we excited or not for a 266 Kenpom team getting a promotion after going 16-15 while losing to their bottom-feeder team in the conference tournament? One of the last-ranked teams in offensive efficiency. The guy has a nickname for trying to interview anywhere that will take him. 

All of his players were seniors and would have no one to take with him.

This isn't the hire that inspires me. The actual top coach in this conference went to WKU.

4 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

The EADA report is a governmental report that was created by politicians and bureaucrats that have no understanding of educational or athletic financial reporting.  As a result, this publicly available dataset is largely considered worthless when comparing different schools to one another.  A major reason for this is the lack of established reporting procedures that create uniform reporting to address the various different ways in which institutions operate and how their internal accounting functions are handled. 

For instance, if you pull the University of Oklahoma's data you will see that their golf program generated $502,715 in revenue last year.  Of course, this is curious since their program doesn't charge admission to contests or have any athletically related revenue for the program.  So how did this number end up in the EADA report?  Well, that is the amount of money that the University transferred to the golf program to cover it's operating shortfall.  We don't think of that as revenue, but due to the organizational structure and internal accounting processes utilized at the University of Oklahoma it is technical golf revenue.

A common issue is surrounding the accounting of facility costs.  Some schools use internal accounting to account for program utilization of facilities.  For instance, a basketball program may be "charged" against their budget each time they use their basketball arena for a game or practice.  Or they may be charged a flat fee annually from the athletic department budget and applied to the basketball team (split evenly between the genders) to cover debt service on their game or practice facility.  This is not really a true expense when you compare the school to others but is simply used for internal accounting to account for a facility that is used by all kinds of campus programs.  It can be a useful way to ration usage and give priority to different programs. 

So while some basketball (or volleyball, or wrestling, or whatever) programs have tens of thousands of dollars (or even hundreds of thousands of dollars) included in their operating budgets to cover these internal facility rental fees other programs don't have these costs as their facility costs fall under institutional or athletic department costs that are not accounted for within the basketball program's accounting.

Due to these different accounting processes and broad categorization used in EADA reporting these figures can be deceptively off by millions from what you'd expect them to be for a specific school.

As a result of these various issues, the NCAA doesn't use the EADA reports.  The NCAA has their own financial reporting guidelines for the NCAA's annual financial statements that are the golden standard in intercollegiate athletic financial reporting.  These have finely tuned reporting standards that ensure uniformity between academic institutions which allows for an accurate comparison.

The issue here is that these records are not public records.  They are provided to the NCAA only for internal reporting and program/policy review.  Very few schools make these reports public which makes it difficult to actually compare institutions.

If you'd like to compare two such reports, I have included both reports for the University of Kansas (2021-2022).  Their state laws require their NCAA Financial Report to be made public in addition to the EADA report.

EADA Report (the numbers you linked to which are not informative): https://kuathletics.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/2022-EADA-Survey.pdf 

NCAA Financial Statement: https://kuathletics.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/21-22-NCAA-Report.pdf

This is a lot of knowledge for someone who doesn't work for a university and in mid-major sports. 

7 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Are we excited or not for a 266 Kenpom team getting a promotion after going 16-15 while losing to their bottom-feeder team in the conference tournament? One of the last-ranked teams in offensive efficiency. The guy has a nickname for trying to interview anywhere that will take him. 

All of his players were seniors and would have no one to take with him.

This isn't the hire that inspires me. The actual top coach in this conference went to WKU.

Do you think this is who we’re hiring? Nothing new on Halcovage? I’ll at least give the new coach a chance once we make the hire, because TBH I’ve never heard of any of these names before this week. It doesn’t make sense for me to get mad about something I don’t know anything about. I made that mistake once when I was told to be pissed off about the Bills drafting the wrong Josh quarterback. 

• Haha 1

Just now, dutchcountry7 said:

You're really trying to figure me out, aren't you? ha ha

Nope, but I know you work/worked (not sure with the staff transition) for the team. There was a line into the team from this message board. Especially now with your recent blaming of the administration and not the coaching staff/CSA is pretty telling for me. 

8 minutes ago, yussi1870 said:

We should have hired him instead of CSA.

Why? He's the one that said that it's not CSA's job to do anything but match them. None of us could do any better in this case. The university would have botched anyone that any of us put in front of them. 

8 minutes ago, clodney said:

Only 4 business days away from the date Whitesell's buyout would have dropped by $100k. If we don't have a coach by then, Mark Alnutt should be shown the door.

Can't disagree. But it still makes you wonder if he thought he would be able to lock up Washington or Cohen.

4 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

Not sure where you're getting this number from. They were 47th in the country in offense this year. His previous years at Youngstown were 177, 171, 173, 178, 242. Claunch's areas of expertise I would say are finding undervalued players in the portal and pressure defense (twice being top 10 nationally in turnover rate)

I overstated it, but YSU's offense was excellent this past season. Far better than any offense or defense that Claunch's Nicholls teams have featured.

Screenshot_20230330_163823_Chrome.jpg

49 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Nope, but I know you work/worked (not sure with the staff transition) for the team. There was a line into the team from this message board. Especially now with your recent blaming of the administration and not the coaching staff/CSA is pretty telling for me. 

I have told you...  I have never been employed by UB and have never spoken to Whitesell.  I am not employed by CSA either.  I have no direct connection to the basketball team other than being a fan.

• Like 3