Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

22 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Thank you...I appreciate your contents as well.  I have been refraining from my normal speculations about possible transfers...I have been trying to figure out who the Bulls may be contacting...but I have spared you all of my speculation...always way off.🙂

Please speculate away lol! It's been too quiet around here. 

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Please speculate away lol! It's been too quiet around here. 

First my disclaimer...I am usually way off in my speculation...there is a reason I am not on the coaching staff, but in the interest of chatter:

Ian Martinez 6'3" guard transfer from Maryland.  Here are some details from an article about his transfer

Martinez played a major role for the Terps during the 2022-23 season as a junior, appearing in all 35 games and starting two. He averaged 5.7 points and 2.5 rebounds per game and led the team in three-point shooting with a 40.3% mark.

His defensive prowess and athleticism made him a commonly-used sixth man for head coach Kevin Willard, averaging the most minutes of any player not in the team’s usual starting lineup.

I read another article suggesting potential destinations including Arizona, Utah State, Virginia, George Mason and NJIT.   Shoots well from 3 and tough defender, makes him appealing.

• 5 months later...
On 3/16/2023 at 4:39 PM, BrooklynBull said:

For everyone concerned that a new coach has yet to be named, based on discussions with people in college sports UB will have a coach and staff plus a roster for when practice begins in the fall.

With the exhibition game tomorrow, it appears we have a coach, staff and players.  Use this as a reminder that the next time no coach has been hired in five days, to just relax, everything will be ok by the start of the next season.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

With the exhibition game tomorrow, it appears we have a coach, staff and players.  Use this as a reminder that the next time no coach has been hired in five days, to just relax, everything will be ok by the start of the next season.

As if the concern was ever "not having a coach, staff and players" and not the appearance, timing, and quality of the search, and the resulting quality of the roster, etc. 

Save the snark, it wasn't a smooth process even if most of us are happy with the result (before any actual results).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MuchMany said:

As if the concern was ever "not having a coach, staff and players" and not the appearance, timing, and quality of the search, and the resulting quality of the roster, etc. 

Save the snark, it wasn't a smooth process even if most of us are happy with the result (before any actual results).

People on here were were acting as if there would never be a coach or a team.

Internally, it was a lot smother that it appeared on this board.  Most of the stuff floated did not come from UB.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MuchMany said:

...even if most of us are happy with the result (before any actual results).

hoping after the actual results (will take time) some of the others who were not initially thrilled with the result (coaching choice) are eventually won over.  It would be great to have them back on here voicing their opinion.

On 10/22/2023 at 9:16 PM, DocCas86 said:

hoping after the actual results (will take time) some of the others who were not initially thrilled with the result (coaching choice) are eventually won over.  It would be great to have them back on here voicing their opinion.

I was on the Hodgson bandwagon. Halcovage is going to need time. I am guessing Hodgson will need time too. I can only imagine that the adjustment to the Head job is a very difficult one. I would be happy with some progress this season.....build the program for next year and beyond. It's going to require some patience this IMO. I will do my best, but there isn't much to be excited about. All momentum from the Hurley and Oats run is gone.

30 minutes ago, Chet said:

I was on the Hodgson bandwagon. Halcovage is going to need time. I am guessing Hodgson will need time too. I can only imagine that the adjustment to the Head job is a very difficult one. I would be happy with some progress this season.....build the program for next year and beyond. It's going to require some patience this IMO. I will do my best, but there isn't much to be excited about. All momentum from the Hurley and Oats run is gone.

A couple things to be clear,  I have no issue with those who were pushing for Hodgson.  My hope is that Halcovage builds a winner over time and gives everyone something to root for.  As for momentum of Hurley /Oats, I acknowledge that this will be an up and down season, but that is to be expected after dismissal of the head coach.  It will take time to build back any momentum.

13 hours ago, Chet said:

As you said a new coach will need time.  I know have everyone love charts - but I hope this chart illustrates how much patience should be shown.  This is the progression of Kenpom ranks from 3 years prior to coaching change to third year of new coach for some of the more successful MAC coaches.  Note years -3 through -1 are the three years prior to coaching change.  Year 1 through 3 are the first three years of the new coach.

image.png.ee9ecd11975000cbb3132fab348ebaa4.png

As you can see, the first year there is a drop off from the prior year, but by the second / third year, each of these coaches had competitive teams (Kowalczyk was the exception but he started from a worse perspective than any of the others).  

So this year will likely be challenging, the question is do we have a core that moves forward to the next year that we can add a few new players to take us back to top tier MAC team.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

He was one of the candidates that I liked a lot last cycle. We passed on BH and he had success. The dude from Youngstown St played us or whatever and just took a job at Utah St. And now McCollum goes to a very good mid major program. Will be interesting to look back in 5 years and see where all 4 coaches are.  

28 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

He was one of the candidates that I liked a lot last cycle. We passed on BH and he had success. The dude from Youngstown St played us or whatever and just took a job at Utah St. And now McCollum goes to a very good mid major program. Will be interesting to look back in 5 years and see where all 4 coaches are.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see McCollum moving up again in 3-5 years.

Looking back, it's clear that Adam Cohen and Ben McCollum were really good candidates. Calhoun... Who knows the real story with him... My UB sources now seem to indicate he wasn't really part of the discussion despite a few Twitter accounts throwing his name out last year.

What I can say is that I'm of the belief Buffalo thought they had a really good chance to land Cohen when they originally let go of Jim Whitesell and that something happened that they either didn't anticipate or he changed course after gathering more information.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Is it now true that the Bulls have the worst D1 MBB coach in WNY?  

He averaged 23 wins per year in his 8 seasons in the MAC. GHIII is pacing towards needing 6 years to win that many games, so I'll be a yes vote

Last year people would have told you that UB is too good for Christian, as they did when I suggested Mike Anderson lol

Edited by trueblue32

I was at the Jim Christian press conference today and spoke with him afterwards.

I'm going to increase my college basketball coverage next season. With me being back with Trainwreck Sports, I will be credentialed with UB, Canisius and Niagara so I look forward to providing additional content in the future.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

I was at the Jim Christian press conference today and spoke with him afterwards.

I'm going to increase my college basketball coverage next season. With me being back with Trainwreck Sports, I will be credentialed with UB, Canisius and Niagara so I look forward to providing additional content in the future.

Speaking of Canisius…