Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

‘23-‘24 Roster

9 hours ago, UB92 said:

Let’s focus on the guys that have committed and the guys who are here, rather than desperately following the portal guys.  It’s a bad look. 

I'm not sure how "desperate" it is lol I consider these guys potential roster guys until they aren't?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, UB92 said:

Let’s focus on the guys that have committed and the guys who are here, rather than desperately following the portal guys.  It’s a bad look. 

Gotta agree with this point somewhat. We have several threads about former coaches, players, etc that get more attention then our actual players and coaches. 

I compiled the following to try to get a high level view of how this roster could be coming together.  It consists of players that we currently have signed / committed, offers and public interest.

image.png.97c02b1d5c44a0357394be5545e61911.png

Curious what people think about potential roles / starters from this or what they perceive as focus areas for any future prospects to be identified. 

Edit:  To add players still in portal and yet to commit elsewhere.  Likely they end up transferring, but thought this would be more complete

Edited by DocCas86
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I compiled the following to try to get a high level view of how this roster could be coming together.  It consists of players that we currently have signed / committed, offers and public interest.

image.png.396f2672cbdb18b33fb4ce50221e1107.png

Curious what people think about potential roles / starters from this or what they perceive as focus areas for any future prospects to be identified. 

I feel like GH is going to go for a more "positionless" basketball approach. He mentioned that he wants all players to be able to switch. So he might be going for a lot of taller guards and more athletic (but maybe shorter) big men. 

On 4/18/2023 at 12:27 PM, DocCas86 said:

image.png.97c02b1d5c44a0357394be5545e61911.png

Edit:  To add players still in portal and yet to commit elsewhere.  Likely they end up transferring, but thought this would be more complete

Thanks for putting this together. I think we're all assuming that Isaac Jack won't be re-recruited, curious if that's why you left him off?

Hope we start to see some more HS & JUCO offers / re-recruits / transfer gains so we can get a feel for Halcovage's vision.

7 hours ago, eyjee said:

Thanks for putting this together. I think we're all assuming that Isaac Jack won't be re-recruited, curious if that's why you left him off?

Hope we start to see some more HS & JUCO offers / re-recruits / transfer gains so we can get a feel for Halcovage's vision.

Yes that was why he was off, I don't have any inside info one way or the other. He certainly has options.

Also originally left Powell and Blocker off.  Not sure what their chances are of rejoining the Bulls. 

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Can anyone do some investigation to see who, player wise, is on the court?

I see the following:

3 - Not sure, definitely not Curtis Jones, hair looks like Blocker

11 - Looks like Zaakir Williamson (he was 5 during the season)

21 - Looks like Joe Smith (he was 24 during the season)

22 - Sy Chapman

23 - Isaiah Adams

17 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Pretty sure that Kanye Jones is #3. He has longer hair than Blocker and it makes more sense to me as he is the only other player not in the portal

Good possibility, he was #0, but maybe he wanted #3 and now it's available.

51 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Good possibility, he was #0, but maybe he wanted #3 and now it's available.

Practice jersey numbers don't mean anything. They wouldn't have ordered gear at this point anyway. Their jerseys were probably dirty/forgotten.

In this vid Kanye wears 42 and Jo Smith and Isaac Jack are both wearing 24s

• Like 1

Just now, trueblue32 said:

Practice jersey numbers don't mean anything. They wouldn't have ordered gear at this point anyway. Their jerseys were probably dirty/forgotten.

In this vid Kanye wears 42 and Jo Smith and Isaac Jack are both wearing 24s

Even my HS practice jersey matched my actual game number. Lame. 🤣

7 hours ago, Blue03 said:

Saw that Bryson retweeted this so poked around and found we got him from the same high school as Ceaser. Seem to have some good connections there flowing. 

346BCFA6-B0AA-4691-AC9C-5E7AC8D94882.png

I wish ceaser stayed, JW barely used him and when he did he was exciting to watch. From what it seems he left on pretty good terms and moved to a team closer to home, can’t hate that decision. Looking forward to keeping up with his time there, had a bit of a Segu type game in him. 

Wilson plays like Ceaser a bit but is more the size of a wing than PG. think we got two great but overlooked HS guys coming in

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Nice to see the excitement around Coach G starting to add guys to the roster... 😅

7ixzkq.jpg

We haven't had this level of drama about a less popular (ie not MBB or Football) since there were burner accounts on Bull Run about a volleyball hire. Let me have my fun in the offseason 😆

That being said, based on what I've seen for the two commitments I'm not too excited yet given that Ohio is adding a ton of top recruits, but recruit rankings aren't necessarily what shines on the court.

3 minutes ago, rma said:

We haven't had this level of drama about a less popular (ie not MBB or Football) since there were burner accounts on Bull Run about a volleyball hire. Let me have my fun in the offseason 😆

That being said, based on what I've seen for the two commitments I'm not too excited yet given that Ohio is adding a ton of top recruits, but recruit rankings aren't necessarily what shines on the court.

Ohio is a well-oiled machine! They're going to have talented, competitive teams as long as Boals is there. We'll be getting our share of P5 rejects in time with Coach G's connections. 

I'm not particularly concerned with competing with the big boys in conference this season. This is clearly a rebuilding year for us as the staff sorts out a fractured roster for the future. But high-level shooters like Sabol can even up perceived gaps in talent quicker than some expect. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Nice to see the excitement around Coach G starting to add guys to the roster... 😅

7ixzkq.jpg

Personally, it is hard to know how good either of the two commits will be until the season starts.  Last year, Jack was not met with a lot of fanfare, yet he had a solid FR season and is now considering a bump up.  Hoping either Sabol or Wilson can contribute in year 1, but they seem like more foundation for years 2 and beyond.  I will be tuned in to see in Nov / Dec.