Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

George Halcovage III the next UB Men's Basketball Coach

Jeseph

33 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Not to be a jerk, but I’d rather see a gritty team, than hear about a possible future gritty team.  … consider me waiting patiently. 

I understand where you are coming from.  I want to know the final two commits as well.  That said, I am convincing myself to  be patient, especially if it means UB gets a better commit than what they would get if they got a commit today.  Besides not much we can do but wait.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Boring, I’ve heard that before.  Show me results. 

Here's hoping the team buys in... I think playing gritty defensive ball will afford the team its best chance to compete with top teams in MAC this coming season.  We should have a decent sense by year end.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Oh, I haven’t lost hope.  But, I won’t fully buy in, until they preform as advertised. 

Generally with a new coach, I buy in until they don't perform as advertised.  Given this is Halcovage's first year, the bar is a little lower in terms of wins / losses, but I will be looking for that gritty identity that has been mentioned often.

18 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Boring, I’ve heard that before.  Show me results. 

I guess you can start a “Fire GH3” thread if you want.  It seems you are headed in that direction.  Why wait for the games to start…you’ve had 100 days. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, UB92 said:

I guess you can start a “Fire GH3” thread if you want.  It seems you are headed in that direction.  Why wait for the games to start…you’ve had 100 days. 

You must be joking, because it may not be possible to misinterpret my comment by a wider margin.

"show me results" means the same thing as "wait for the games to start".

Every new coach always says what they want to do... how great things will be once the season begins.  It is all hot air, until they actually do something.  I certainly wasn't asking for anyone to be fired.  But, I also don't think he should be crowned the greatest Bulls coach ever just yet either.

16 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

You must be joking, because it may not be possible to misinterpret my comment by a wider margin.

Every new coach always says what they want to do... how great things will be once the season begins.  It is all hot air, until they actually do something.  I certainly wasn't asking for anyone to be fired.  But, I also don't think he should be crowned the greatest Bulls coach ever just yet either.

True about all coaches come in saying the team will be great, and it is entirely different to deliver on that.  Certainly we have to see how things play out, and it is way too soon to make an assessment either way.  I will still be a glass half full guy until we see the team play.

• Like 1

Honestly I haven’t seen GH3 say anything about even being good lol.  Only “I like their intensity” and generic things like that. My opinion, it’s gonna be a rough ride struggling to even qualify for Cleveland. Similar to WBB this past year. I don’t think we’re anywhere close to Toledo, Kent, Akron or Ohio. Would love to be proven wrong. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Logical fallacy.   I think straw man, but I don’t have them exactly memorized.  

Who said he was “the greatest Bulls coach”?????   No one.  They were just commenting on the positive vibes and different feel than the previous staff.

Truth be told, I was mostly joking.  But reading your response, I am now only half joking!

11 hours ago, UB92 said:

Logical fallacy.   I think straw man, but I don’t have them exactly memorized.  

Who said he was “the greatest Bulls coach”?????   No one.  They were just commenting on the positive vibes and different feel than the previous staff.

Truth be told, I was mostly joking.  But reading your response, I am now only half joking!

That was certainly my stance, I like the overall vibe of what I am seeing:

1. We are actually getting some press and he's doing lots of interviews, podcasts, etc. Something we did not get much of recently.

2. He is engaging with former players like we definitely haven't seen recently or if they did, we never saw it. Social media presence is much improved.

3. He seems to be an open book, as best you can be. if he was that candid with the player, you would think the players here he thinks can contribute and as importantly, the players want to be here.

4. His recruits have been solid, but he is not rushing. We have 2 slots left, but he has also been in his seat only 100 days, so I have no doubt we will get a couple quality pickups.

5. I was impressed with his assistant coach hires, Calvin Cage is a nice addition with ties to successful past Bulls teams and nice connections to the DMV. He has a couple good young, eager guys that will push each other every day. He brought some Villanova connections that he has worked with and knows him and the Villanova style. I think it should be a good blend.

We will see how it all plays out and I am hopeful the above come together. He's also a first time head coach, so I know there will be few bumps in the road. Time will tell.🤘🤘

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 9:58 PM, 121Merrimac said:

I hear ya. I'm excited about how things look right now, but while I like GH3's foundational moves, the rest is mostly PR and sloganeering (which is all it can be to this point). I think it's going to be a pretty tough season results-wise, so we'd all be smart to keep expectations in check.

33 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

That was certainly my stance, I like the overall vibe of what I am seeing:

1. We are actually getting some press and he's doing lots of interviews, podcasts, etc. Something we did not get much of recently.

2. He is engaging with former players like we definitely haven't seen recently or if they did, we never saw it. Social media presence is much improved.

3. He seems to be an open book, as best you can be. if he was that candid with the player, you would think the players here he thinks can contribute and as importantly, the players want to be here.

4. His recruits have been solid, but he is not rushing. We have 2 slots left, but he has also been in his seat only 100 days, so I have no doubt we will get a couple quality pickups.

5. I was impressed with his assistant coach hires, Calvin Cage is a nice addition with ties to successful past Bulls teams and nice connections to the DMV. He has a couple good young, eager guys that will push each other every day. He brought some Villanova connections that he has worked with and knows him and the Villanova style. I think it should be a good blend.

We will see how it all plays out and I am hopeful the above come together. He's also a first time head coach, so I know there will be few bumps in the road. Time will tell.🤘🤘

Agreed on all points but #4. The recruiting has been slightly underwhelming to me, even though I understand he came in late in cycle, as a rookie HC, at a program that has lost whatever prestige it had earned. I don't want to get stuck recruiting against the NEC, Patriot, Horizon, CAA, etc.

The only other thought I have on the GH3's first 100 days is...he's overdoing it with the "Horns Up." Yes, I said it lol. Every picture he or the team takes is "Horns Up." I think it should be reserved for the true "school spirit" situations, lest it becomes corny through overuse. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UB92 said:

… Who said he was “the greatest Bulls coach”?????   No one.  …

Correct.  Your exaggeration inspired me to do the same.  

19 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

… I will still be a glass half full guy until we see the team play.

And that is great!   I honestly don’t understand how my comments were interrupted by some as being a glass half empty guy.  I just don’t see the point evaluating anyone by what they say they will do in the future.  I’d rather wait and see what actually happens.   In other words, I feel I don’t even have a glass right now.  Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 121Merrimac said:

Correct.  Your exaggeration inspired me to do the same.  

And that is great!   I honestly don’t understand how my comments were interrupted by some as being a glass half empty guy.  I just don’t see the point evaluating anyone by what they say they will do in the future.  I’d rather wait and see what actually happens.   In other words, I feel I don’t even have a glass right now.  Lol

Fair point.  Wasn't saying you were half empty.   I am eager to get things started and looking for positives to point out.  I do agree it does not mean much.

At this point all we have to go on is the players he has brought in.  I will be the first to admit that I don't have a good sense of the talent coming in. 

I am optimistic the team makes the trip to Cleveland, but as 6-8 seed.  I agree they are not on par with top of MAC, but as was stated, happy to be proven wrong.

4 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

... Wasn't saying you were half empty.   ...

My apologies, Doc.  I never thought you were.  I don't know how to differentiate between replying to a comment, versus expanding on that train of thought.

But, I must have done something to bring '92 out of hibernation.  Joke or not, even good humor is rooted in truth.  I'm just a bit confused what I did to set this off, that's all.

Hoping someone gets this thread back on topic, soon...

28 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

My apologies, Doc.  I never thought you were.  I don't know how to differentiate between replying to a comment, versus expanding on that train of thought.

But, I must have done something to bring '92 out of hibernation.  Joke or not, even good humor is rooted in truth.  I'm just a bit confused what I did to set this off, that's all.

Hoping someone gets this thread back on topic, soon...

No need to apologize to me.  You didn't do anything wrong as far as I am concerned.

I am eager to talk about the next phase for this team, it is hard for me to wait until November. So I mention Halcovage stating what he wants the identity of the team to be...and I am hopeful the team delivers.

6 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

The AD brought me out of hibernation when Whitesell was let go.  

I am excited for this hire and to see what GH3 does with this opportunity.

Go Bulls!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it does too much, but I'm sure for the guys it's nice to have some definition about their roles and having 5 Assistant Coaches should be a good thing as long as the talking points are the same an provide cohesive direction. I trust in GH3's process, so onward and upward!

https://ubbulls.com/news/2023/7/26/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-announces-coaching-title-changes.aspx