Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Turner Battle to have number honored at 2/17 home game

9 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

Love this! My favorite Modie Cox memory for the Bulls was against Boston College at Alumni.  UB was giving them a game, their gameplan was for Modie to dribble the ball just past mid court and wait till there were about 10 seconds left on the shot clock.  He would drive to the net and either get fouled, make the layup, or dish it off.  It kept working and BC didn't know what to do.  BC called a timeout, the crowd was going nuts, someone almost hit Jim O'Brien with a can and he flipped out.  Dec 11, 1993. BC won that game by 13 in the end, that team went to the Elite Eight in the tournament.

That was back when big conference teams actually had the guts to come and play UB here.  The 1993-94 season saw BC, Miami (FL), Duquesne, and Pittsburgh all come to Alumni. 

I remember that game vs BC.  The game vs the U of Miami was  even closer as UB lost by just 6.  That ‘93-94 team with Modie Cox, Rasaun Young and Myron Banks was very entertaining and gave us hope of things to come as the Bulls finally got into the double digits in wins.  They had an identity as a team that was tough and had swagger, that you felt had a chance against anybody after the way they played versus these 2 teams.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

I remember that game vs BC.  The game vs the U of Miami was  even closer as UB lost by just 6.  That ‘93-94 team with Modie Cox, Rasaun Young and Myron Banks was very entertaining and gave us hope of things to come as the Bulls finally got into the double digits in wins.  They had an identity as a team that was tough and had swagger, that you felt had a chance against anybody after the way they played versus these 2 teams.

I was at those game. I remember heckling Constantine Popa from Miami. Modie Cox was fun to watch. He always had a look on his face like he was smelling a bad fart. Those were the days when we dreamed of just getting to the big dance. Now the expectations are much higher, which is cool to see.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

How about Jeenathan Williams?

IMO no. Didn’t win anything while here that he played a part in, didn’t win Player of the Year. Really good and an All-Decade worthy type player. But not one of the best to ever do it, which is what the Wall of Fame is for. Again just my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaBulls99 said:

IMO no. Didn’t win anything while here that he played a part in, didn’t win Player of the Year. Really good and an All-Decade worthy type player. But not one of the best to ever do it, which is what the Wall of Fame is for. Again just my opinion. 

Unfortunately agreed, but if he goes on to have a long NBA career I think he'd be deserving. Local kid too.

We're staring down a serious drought in honor-worthy numbers post glory years if things don't change.

Just now, eyjee said:

Electric half. Zaakir's game has been great last few games.

He has always shown flashes on offense, just needs his defense awareness to pick up

Liked how they were running the offense through him though the last couple minutes 

6 minutes ago, eyjee said:

Halcovage yelling at Fulcher after hitting that three was weird... Maybe he didn't like him turning and looking at the Akron bench?

Couldn't tell if he was fired up or angry

The rest of the team was congratulating him though 

2 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Couldn't tell if he was fired up or angry

The rest of the team was congratulating him though 

Initially had same reaction, couldn't tell what the emotion there was. But after a replay or two that they actually showed, it looked more like anger to me 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, eyjee said:

Halcovage yelling at Fulcher after hitting that three was weird... Maybe he didn't like him turning and looking at the Akron bench?

That’s exactly what it was, no need to poke the bear when you have 3 total wins

• Like 1

Turner Battle speech was great. Can't believe how time flies. Feels like just yesterday I was watching the crowd record smashing NIU home game in 2004. There can never be another crowd like that (because of the bench side bleachers being gone)

I dont even care if they win this one but Im glad they put up a very nice first half leading into the speech!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Unfortunately agreed, but if he goes on to have a long NBA career I think he'd be deserving. Local kid too.

We're staring down a serious drought in honor-worthy numbers post glory years if things don't change.

I agree.

I always imagined our first modern era NBA player would certainly be someone who was outstanding with us or someone from the glory years but oddly enough "Nate" as good as he was didn't move the needle here as much. Like youd say for Khalil Mack.

That being said, Im still amazed how well hes played in the regular season NBA games that hes already played in. If it turns into something bigger in his career he definitely will need recognition for that alone. Because its not like he played 4 games here then went onto Duke then the NBA. He played his career here and put up points and for the most part grew year after year.