Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Turner Battle to have number honored at 2/17 home game

I’d like to say a valiant effort by UB but to allow the 10-2 finish by Akron in the final 3:30 is brutal when the game was right there for the taking if they could just play smart and a little gritty.

Also brutal is 4/24 shooting from 3 but unfortunately that’s nothing new.  At least the FT shooting was stellar today.  

1 minute ago, Bluebird96 said:

I’d like to say a valiant effort by UB but to allow the 10-2 finish by Akron in the final 3:30 is brutal when the game was right there for the taking if they could just play smart and a little gritty.

Also brutal is 4/24 shooting from 3 but unfortunately that’s nothing new.  At least the FT shooting was stellar today.  

I’m still not sold on the coaching staff, however, I will give them credit that these guys could have packed it in weeks ago, but they are absolutely trying. I also like seeing Williamson and Wilson getting PT and gaining confidence. We will see what happens in the off season 

27 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I’m still not sold on the coaching staff, however, I will give them credit that these guys could have packed it in weeks ago, but they are absolutely trying. I also like seeing Williamson and Wilson getting PT and gaining confidence. We will see what happens in the off season 

Did we watch the same game? It was still bad. Akron tried their best to give the Bulls the game.

39 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

UB battled and gave a solid Akron team a tough fight which is encouraging. They do seem to be improving. That said, they just don't have the right collection of guys. Huge roster turnover will be needed following this season.

Agree there has been incremental improvement as the season has gone on. Today just 10 turnovers and 14 assists on 23 makes.  As hard as it is to be optimistic and keep having to search for a silver lining, I don’t see any use in dwelling on the negatives.  All we can do is hope that GH3 and staff learn from this season and go find some quality seasoned talent in the portal and keep developing some of the more promising young guys like Sabol and Boldin.

5 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

Are you always so negative?

TBF my two aren’t getting renewed if halcovage is still here. So at worst they are only 498 off. If halcovage turns it around I’ll buy some single game tickets and buy back in two years, but I see that as low probability so I’ll save myself the money next year.

They’re 0-10 with an average losing margin of 14.4 points against D1 opponents on their home court. They are going to hemorrhage season ticket holders. Idk how many there were to begin with but only losing 500 seems optimistic honestly

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

UB battled and gave a solid Akron team a tough fight which is encouraging. They do seem to be improving. That said, they just don't have the right collection of guys. Huge roster turnover will be needed following this season.

Agree. What it boils down to also is upper classmen not being leaders and having little situational awareness. Two examples…Smith dives on a lose ball and instead of calling a timeout he throws the ball into an Akron crowd of players. A possession or two before that Adams tried to dribble penetrate from the top of the key and turned the ball over going 1 v 2. Both those possessions were late in the game when we were down 3-5. We have a young and inexperienced roster but what’s compounding our issues is our upper classmen aren’t taking control. Plain and simple we are a team that doesn’t know how to win. We don’t know how to execute in the crunch to win games. For what it’s worth, I thought GH3 called the timeout at the right time, dialed up the right plays got the ball where it needed to go…players just didn’t execute. Against NIU players did hit their FTs. The last week we’ve been playing our best stretch of basketball yet yielding negative results.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Idk how many there were to begin with but only losing 500 seems optimistic honestly

The lowest announced attendance at Alumni Arena this year was 1,361 for the Miami (OH) game on 1/9, and that includes tickets sold and not the turnstile count - so it's less than that

1 hour ago, RapidsFan said:

The lowest announced attendance at Alumni Arena this year was 1,361 for the Miami (OH) game on 1/9, and that includes tickets sold and not the turnstile count - so it's less than that

Are you stating this with certainty, or are you simply fabricating information? Perhaps your time would be better spent enhancing your Wikipedia page? As per my last review, your career win percentage stood at 41%, and it appears you haven't coached beyond the low level of Division 3, is that accurate?

12 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

You're absolutely right, it was a standing-room only crowd.

Just look at them all!

Great, showing 1 of the 4 areas of the arena. I noticed you skipped over the comments on the coaching record, I'm I wrong? asking for a friend

Fire the AD and  hire Turner Battle either as AD or coach. Also change to a Northeast Conference. Buffalo is not a mid west college. I believe there would be more fan interest and would appeal to more transfers if  a change was made.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JFH47 said:

Fire the AD and  hire Turner Battle either as AD or coach. Also change to a Northeast Conference. Buffalo is not a mid west college. I believe there would be more fan interest and would appeal to more transfers if  a change was made.

I 100% agree that Alnutt needs to go! He has run the athletics department in to the ground! 

Not sure moving to a Northeast Conference would move the needle with transfers - They just need to be able to pay more in NIL and upgrade the facilities - UB still has exactly the same basketball facilities as they did 10 years ago - A new Locker room is needed/ Practice facility that's not shared with intramurals/ A film Room which UB does not have - UB is behind the majority of MAC schools in these categories! 

2 hours ago, JFH47 said:

Northeast conference? oh, my. Why not the maac? 

14 minutes ago, Bullsboys said:

I 100% agree that Alnutt needs to go! He has run the athletics department in to the ground! 

Not sure moving to a Northeast Conference would move the needle with transfers - They just need to be able to pay more in NIL and upgrade the facilities - UB still has exactly the same basketball facilities as they did 10 years ago - A new Locker room is needed/ Practice facility that's not shared with intramurals/ A film Room which UB does not have - UB is behind the majority of MAC schools in these categories! 

fdu made the elite 8 and they watched film in a shower. 

these kids would dress in a custodian closet if they got more nil money.

Edited by TheCommish

5 minutes ago, Bullsboys said:

UB still has exactly the same basketball facilities as they did 10 years ago - A new Locker room is needed/ Practice facility that's not shared with intramurals/ A film Room which UB does not have - UB is behind the majority of MAC schools in these categories! 

The AD, head of the Alumni Association, and the school's top donor are all football guys. You can see how this is quickly becoming a problem.

2 hours ago, JFH47 said:

Fire the AD and  hire Turner Battle either as AD or coach.

Reggie Witherspoon as AD, Turner Battle as head coach, and let one of the Murchie kids run the Alumni Association

Would anyone object to that?

4 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

Yeah and all of their top players transferred out and they are now back to mediocrity - Kids don't want to watch film in the showers!

NIL means more to kids yes - But facilities play a HUGE part in recruiting - NIL isn't enough when other schools also have NIL. 

3 hours ago, Bullsboys said:

Yeah and all of their top players transferred out and they are now back to mediocrity - Kids don't want to watch film in the showers!

NIL means more to kids yes - But facilities play a HUGE part in recruiting - NIL isn't enough when other schools also have NIL. 

Ron's job is to distract you from the fact that we'll see record crowds of 1,200 people inside UB's brand new Murchie Family Football Stadium before they ever spend another dime on basketball

Edited by RapidsFan

19 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Are you stating this with certainty, or are you simply fabricating information? Perhaps your time would be better spent enhancing your Wikipedia page? As per my last review, your career win percentage stood at 41%, and it appears you haven't coached beyond the low level of Division 3, is that accurate?

Oh come on.  Quit teasing us.  Give us this Asshat's name so we can all know who we're hating.

13 hours ago, TheCommish said:

these kids would dress in a custodian closet if they got more nil money.

Might be thinking of Saint Peter's on the Elite 8 part (similar facility limitations there I'm sure). FDU lost their next game after Purdue.