Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

CONFIRMED: Mo Linguist taking Defensive Assistant job at Alabama!

14 hours ago, MuchMany said:

This ain't about money. It's about saving face and reattaching himself to a successful brand, which was his entire career strategy before UB. 

Can someone delete this post -- It went through 3 times after it said it couldn't go through. Edited this not to have a duplicate post.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

I think Maurice Linguist leaving is a saving grace for UB. It's pretty clear he wasn't going to turn things around heading into next season. He was most likely going to have another disappointing season and possibly fired.

Now, he can claim he left on his own terms to join a historic program and re-build his resume to possibly get another head coaching job down the line.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

I think Maurice Linguist leaving is a saving grace for UB. It's pretty clear he wasn't going to turn things around heading into next season. He was most likely going to have another disappointing season and possibly fired.

Now, he can claim he left on his own terms to join a historic program and re-build his resume to possibly get another head coaching job down the line.

And unlike firing him or letting his contract just expire, UB gets paid. 

It also sets up more pipelines to 'Bama. While we can't compete with NIL. Your not good enough for starting at a P5 yet. But play here we got great connections at 'Bama were you can transfer too in a year or two. 

18 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

It also sets up more pipelines to 'Bama. While we can't compete with NIL. Your not good enough for starting at a P5 yet. But play here we got great connections at 'Bama were you can transfer too in a year or two. 

This is ridiculous.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, TheCommish said:
  • Coach Mo probably tripled his salary. Set himself up to take a better job in three years if 'Bama does well.
  • Recruiting class was one of the worse on paper. 
  • We haven't improved in any areas, IMO

He made just shy of $700k last year.

I don't even think Alabama is paying the defensive assistant coach near $2 million.

Talking salaries, here are a couple of Alabama assistant football coaches from a newspaper article in 2022. At least a little similar to Mo's new title.

"Charles Kelly, Jr., associate defensive coordinator

Salary: $850,000

End of contract: Feb. 29, 2024

Note: Received one-year extension and a raise of $25,000. 

Travaris Robinson, cornerbacks

Salary: $800,000

End of contract: Feb. 29, 2024"

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story/sports/college/football/2022/08/23/alabama-football-nick-saban-contract-2022-coaching-staff-bill-o-brien-pete-golding/7875698001/

32 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

He made just shy of $700k last year.

I don't even think Alabama is paying the defensive assistant coach near $2 million.

They (Mo and/or Bama) also have the UB buyout to deal with too. Mo's an expensive hire for somebody with a reputation of jumping from job to job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rma said:

They (Mo and/or Bama) also have the UB buyout to deal with too. Mo's an expensive hire for somebody with a reputation of jumping from job to job.

I wonder what the language around the buyout is? He’s taking a job several steps down from being a head coach. Does that have any implications?

4 hours ago, everlast2504 said:

I wonder what the language around the buyout is? He’s taking a job several steps down from being a head coach. Does that have any implications?

It shouldn’t matter, he resigned and would be help accountable per the contract for $600k. A little surprising he would eat $600k or Alabama would pay that for a lower level assistant, not even a DC or OC. I believe the Washington coach (new HC) buyout is $10 million, so maybe $600k is no big deal.

Don’t see anything on his TwitterX about leaving UB or joining Bama.  And don’t know if he owes us a “Thanks to UB for giving me my first HC job, thanks to the players, fans, etc etc.”, but it would certainly be the classy thing to do.   Most players entering the portal have done that, FWIW

5 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Don’t see anything on his TwitterX about leaving UB or joining Bama.  And don’t know if he owes us a “Thanks to UB for giving me my first HC job, thanks to the players, fans, etc etc.”, but it would certainly be the classy thing to do.   Most players entering the portal have done that, FWIW

In what world wouldn't he owe us that? I just don't get it, ghosting from a 500k job lol. 

10 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

In what world wouldn't he owe us that? I just don't get it, ghosting from a 500k job lol. 

It's the new way of the world. Coaches, players, schools leaving conferences... use everyone for your own personal gain. It's free market capitalism at its finest. 

• Like 1